Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Collecting 'Cheap' vs. 'Expensive' Mugs

Pages: 1 7 replies

T

I did a thrift shop sweep this weekend, and dredged up a nice Trader Vic's Fog Cutter mug at one store and two knockoffs of the Orchids R-1 mugs.

The Vic's mug is hefty and is a solid ceramic piece. The two R-1 mugs were made in China, and were of relatively flimsy construction. I almost passed on the R-1s, but opted to grab them for four bucks. After all, a mug is a mug.

But is it really? Do any of you ever pass on the cheaper knockoff mugs in favor of the higher quality vintage and name brand new mugs?

K
Kenike posted on Wed, Jun 1, 2005 7:25 PM

Tiki is so rare in my part of TX that I grab what I can. If I can't use it I give it away to someone who's interested in tiki but not necessarily a collector...or I use them as mugs to drink from and not to display.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 1, 2005 7:34 PM

I'm the other way! I can't afford the "collectable" mugs, so my only option is the "cheapies". Yes these still count, despite not having the same street cred. Their value to you should be based upon how cool you reckon they look, not what others beleive they are worth.

Having said this, given the option of a collectable mug or a cheapie, for the same price, I admit I would probably take the collectable.

What does all this mean? I need more money and i talk a lot of shit! :)

UJ

On 2005-06-01 19:25, Juno wrote:
Tiki is so rare in my part of TX that I grab what I can. If I can't use it I give it away to someone who's interested in tiki but not necessarily a collector...or I use them as mugs to drink from and not to display.

Same here... If i'm scouring a thrift store or antique mall, if I see it I get it. If it's like at Big Lots, or where ever, I'm selective.

depends on the price. if i see a 3 face mug that is $7 bucks or more i leave it. i already have 15 of the things that i paid less than $2 bucks for. as for those r-1 copy's you found, which i'm sure are from the hanalei btw, i would much rather go to the hanalei and buy one with a drink in it for only a few bucks more.

if i found one of them here in nor-cal i would buy it if it was only a few bucks. i have passed on modern mugs that were priced at $5.

but the bottom line is that it all really comes down to your own view of what it is worth. if it makes you happy then do it!

T

On 2005-06-02 08:09, the drunken hat wrote:
...if it makes you happy then do it!

Doin' it always makes me happy :D

T

On 2005-06-02 08:09, the drunken hat wrote:
as for those r-1 copy's you found, which i'm sure are from the hanalei btw, i would much rather go to the hanalei and buy one with a drink in it for only a few bucks more.

I think you are quite correct. I picked up a couple of other mugs directly from the Hanalei, and they were of the same quality as the R-1.

I hate to say, however, that I would probably pass on buying drinks at the Hanalei. Every time I've gone, the drinks have been very substandard. In one case, I ordered a Mai Tai, and the bar tender had to refer a laminated flip card drink menu, to find out what went inside the drink!!!

On the other hand, their Sunday brunch is outstanding.

we were just there this past month and i had a singapore sling that wasn't half bad. personally i never order a mai tai anymore unless i'm at vic's or the bali hai. i've made that mistake too many times and been disappointed.

my point was that i would rather get a marginal drink from one of the only places left that still serves drinks in a take home mug. the decor in the islands more then makes up for the poor drink quality.

besides, you could always just tell'em to make you a rum and coke in the mug. they can't f**k that one up!

Pages: 1 7 replies