Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZART's Carvings Second original thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,529 replies

B

First here is the link to the Old Benzarts Carvings pages https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7531&forum=7&729

Here is # 62 about 1/2 done. The wood is a beautiful piece of Curly Maple from Polynesiac.
It is 4" X 2" X 1/2" thick.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2007-07-10 05:49 ]

R

What can be said that has not been said before.
Glad to see you back at Ben. I look forward to seeing this come together.

M

love those swirls.

swirly

O
Octane posted on Thu, Jun 2, 2005 5:45 PM

looking good as usual Ben, i love those Maori Tiahia. i was going to do a large one of those over the summer for a wall hanging.

K
kirby posted on Thu, Jun 2, 2005 5:49 PM

realy awsome!!!

A new giant thread begins!

Is that a tattooed tongue? Either way I like it. Your adaptation of different styles is impressive.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jun 3, 2005 3:30 AM

another masterpiece in the making

'nuf said

F

Very cool, Ben, very cool.

this piece is simply beautiful. I love the swirls and the shape of the carving. It's going to make a beautiful pendant!

I'm glad that you like the wood, it's great fun to watch you spin your magic on a lump of wood!

That looks great from the start, Ben - even with pencil marks on it - then just gets better. How do you do that? :)

B

Thanks again everyone,
aaron I'll try not to let this thread get so large.
Sam I don't know how I do it, it just happens. The swirls all fit together and eminate from the center and are all connected.
Raffer, yes that is a tongue and doesn't it just bring tears to your eyes watching all those swirls get sliced and cut into place? Here is a Taiaha done by Basement Kahuna awhile back..
His is very authentic looking right down to the feathers. I just decided to find a way to wear one.
Thanks everyone.

B

Here is the latest on this Taiaha pendant. Almost all done. It just needs a lot of clean-up and a finish. Stain or no stain.

Enjoy

There's so much more detail after being carved than your pencil lines described- really nice piece.

Ben-
The Taiaha pendant is Simply Amazing. I love the swirls and all of the detail. I've got one question. Have you ever made a ugly piece?? Your work just blows me away!!!
Take Care,
Scott

B

Thanks Capt'n Skully, the pencil lines are just a guide, but sometimes they are better than the carving.
Spermy thanks, I Have made ugly pieces but I try not to show them to anyone, IF they get finished.

R

Another Benzart masterpiece. Cant wait to see it done.

B

Now the OTHER one I am working on is a tad bit larger by about 4 feet from a palm trunk sliced in half, I think it will be a Killer tiki

On 2005-06-08 20:04, Benzart wrote:
Now the OTHER one I am working on is a tad bit larger by about 4 feet from a palm trunk sliced in half, I think it will be a Killer tiki

Yes!!!

M
Moki posted on Wed, Jun 8, 2005 8:34 PM

Woooooo Hooooo!!

Can't wait to see it. Somebody is going to be very lucky to get a Big Benzart!!

Beautiful detail work Benzart! I love to see more of your work you are truly an artist..keep it coming.....

F

Awsome Ben! Stained or not, I'm excited to see the final product. Does clear poly or whatever you would use darken the wood at all?

B

Thanks Sam and Moki.
I have 3 palm logs all about the same size and will probably slice them all in half and make masks similar to what I am working on. TikiKiliki asked me if I had any pieces large enough to use for Hukilau decorations and I recom thats where they will be. Of course they will be available after the show.
Finky, the clear lacquer doesn't add much color to it at all so I think I'll darken it some to bring the nice grain out.
Thanks again everyone.

B

Well here is the latest. I am trying to carve a 4 1/2 foot Palm log, split in half long ways.
This one is Lono, or at least that is who he is starting out as. It will take a bit longer and is much more difficult on the pain scale level. But I don't think it will be oo bad at all. I have 3, 4 1/2 logs to split and carve for some decorating at Hukilau They are 4' to 4 1/2' tall. After hukilau they will be available for a nominal fee.??

hope you enjoy this guy as much as I have...

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2005-06-10 21:10 ]

SO-WEET! Ben, will that one be for sale? Where am I on that list again?????

NICE ONE BEN!
really cool to see you carving big, aw heck, I love everything you do!

C

thank you thank you....

K
kirby posted on Thu, Jun 9, 2005 8:40 PM

That one is gonna be a lil hard to hang around your neck. Lookin great!!

Ben -
I am loving this guy already!!! Thanks again for the pic's!! I can't wait to see more!

I love your small stuff, Ben. But this I can relate to! So, are you getting Tropicana flashbacks yet!! Thanks for the detailed progress pics.

A-A

M
Moki posted on Thu, Jun 9, 2005 9:17 PM

Go Ben Go!!! You're making amazing progress on this one already.

Can't wait to see it finished.

:) :) :)
Happy Happy Happy

TG

Right On Ben....Been waiting for this.....Looking good!!! Can't wait to see the finished Lono.

G.

J
john posted on Fri, Jun 10, 2005 4:15 AM

those are simply amazing! the attention to detail at the smallest level is astounding!

It is so cool to see you create another big tiki! He already looks great, can't wait to see more. Are the cuts the same just on a larger scale? or is it a whole different animal?

M

Ben, It's cool to see the larger woodworks again. Nice! I have yet to do a Lono, but, I am starting to crave the pain. Once the Bar is complete, I will be carving again. Need entertainment space first...then the chips can fly again. Keep it up, and thanks again for your inspiring work.

McTiki

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jun 10, 2005 7:13 AM

cool - love the big ones

Yes, Finally. Thanks so much Ben for the pics. Glad to see your feeling up to some bigger stuff.
Please take care of yourself first and foremost. Cant wait to see more.

How's it feel to be swinging a hammer again? It looks like you never put it down.

It would take me 6 months of sweating, swearing, and bandaids to get as far as you have.

T

Man looking great! Cant wait to meet everyone!

F

Always liked you big stuff as well the detail of the smaller...

Deep gouges and splinters....Alway like uor style. keep posting progress pics.

Can't wait to see that big one finished. Very cool Ben.

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire on 2005-06-14 14:03 ]

B

If you love Ben's work as much as we do, you gotta' have a big one! Folks better start pre-purchasing these fine specimens so they have their name on them when they hit the Hukilau, or Amy and I will have to bring more Benzart home to live with us. Looking great as always Ben!
-Duke

B

Thanks everybody for thehope that this will turn out good. You know I haven't carved a large tiki in 10 PLUS years and this may end up just being a large pile of small splinters none of which will look like a tiki so don't get your bets up yet. I have already worked about 6 hours on this guy and I seem to have forgotten how it is supposed to go. I have a list of about 45 peeps who all will want it no matter what their original commission was for

Moki, yes someone may be lucky to get this guy but he MAY not be worth getting.
Bamboo Princess I hope I can live up to your expectations to see this done half way good.

Finky, the poly that I will finish him with will not add muchj color, but I'll get stain for that. I may have to Cover him up to hide all the mistakes I'm making, or will before I'm done.

Sam Gambino old friend, I'm dedicating this one to you because you have been a constant inspiration to me ever since I met you here in these pages. A Truer friend I could never ask for again, Thanks.

PolyPop Yes this one will be for sale. I know you are way up on the list, but I have 3 logs to split in half so I will get 6 pieces roughly the same size. Now the 15 peeps waiting on the first page have been waiting around a year more or less. so I'm not sure where that puts anyone. I'm sure some have given up and dropped off or still want a pendant so we will just have to see.

TikiWahine. thanks for the comps, it's nice to be loved. Even us old fart carvers need a little schmoozin too!
Congatiki, you are welcome too. Thanks for the comps.

kirby, I already have the belt and harness to hang around my neck, I PROMISE. My biggest pendant.

SpermyYou sure know hot to make an old man feel good, thanks for careing.

AaronsArt Actually. the Trop has been flashing regularly in my brain here recently and it's probably your fault. I'm gonna make this one full of detail just for you!
Moki, I think you will have to wait like everyone else.
Tiki Kiliki gets these guys first to decorate the Hukilau with. After that, the carving list gets tosort it all out.

Thanks TikiG, I Know you have been hoping for this ever since you figured what was going on with me. I feel fortunate enough to be here doing this and having all my friends here rooting for me like "will he score the touchdown". Well if I do, what next. Where do I go from there.

John Thanks for the comps man, a true friend
McTiki, what can I say, it seems thaat I am at a crossorads and yet it's just another carving.You're welcome for the pic's amd you know when you are carving you care about nuthin else, especially takin care of yourself, but I'll be OK

Raffertiki my man, How does it feel to be swingin the hammer again? It feels great, It hurts good but I don't feel a thing for a few hours and Oh Yes I FEEL like I put it down many moons ago

Finky, you are just a young pup. Hang aroubd and we'll have you bangin these jobs out in no time.

Thantos, I put you on my list although it will be awhile, Thanks big time.

Flacookz thanks for the comps, I'll put as much detail in this guy as possible. It's different carving large this time. I had never carved small before and now the fine detail is going to want to come out in the big guy and there wil be some fighting goin on??..

Swamp Fire, hey you are way back on the list around 20 I think. Thanks for the comps, he may be done next week I hope.

Boutiki My old friend Howz the new tiki baby in the family and howz the wahine. ENjoyed so much sharing a Hukilau table last year. You would just Love one of these to go with your Other benzarts wouldn't you? Wellll Mayyybbeeee..

Well I think that is everyone, but if I missed you please kick me to wake me up and set me straight.
I'm not sure how I can work this because I need stock for Hukilau. I will carve one for Hukilau and 1 for the list and so on unless anyone has a better way or just wants to handle all that for me. I'll carve and you tell me where to send it. No anyplace but there!!!

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2005-06-10 21:20 ]

Oh Sh-t!m Benz gone big! The master is back!!!

No love for Rodeo..just kidding Benz . Thanks for all the inspiration.

B

Thanks Chiki, I wouldn't go that far. My MIND is willing but the old bones I'm afraid will never let me do half of what I used to do an only a Tiny bit of what I want to do.
Rodeo, How could I miss you, one of my star students, giver of hope and inspiration, not to mention lots of laffs. Thanks for your persistence and your always kind remarks. Yes, love for Rodeo.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1529 replies