Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Your Health - Make it Priority #1 Now!

Pages: 1 13 replies

T

I firmly believe today's society drinks way too much. I know I do.

T

Thats just propaganda fed to you by C. Everett Koop and his cronies. If you look at how much people used to drink throughout history, by today's standards North Americans are lightweights to say the least. In the middle ages, monks were allowed to imbibe 5 liters of beer per day. Grog rations on naval ships were something like a pint of rum a day. The Romans got plastered as a matter of course. I could go on, but I'm getting thirsty...

Great Point.

(unless compared with the Australians, Japanese, Scots, or Germans...)

Maybe it's time to get your 501(c)3 and start having public information ceminars with alternitve ways to relax...and cope with stress.

They would be best titled "Bong Fairs"

Just a thought

[ Edited by: Gigantalope on 2005-06-03 06:40 ]

Moderation is the key.

T

Which liquor store sells this "moderation" drink you speak of?

T

Here's the top ten drinking countries by per capita consumption annually in gallons of pure alcohol:

1. Portugal 2.98
  2. Luxembourg 2.95
  3. France 2.87
  4. Hungary 2.66
  5. Spain 2.66
  6. Czech Republic 2.64
  7. Denmark 2.61
  8. Germany 2.50
  9. Austria 2.50
  10. Switzerland 2.43

The US ranks at 32nd with a consumption of 1.74. In Europe it's common for people to drink during lunch and after work. In England the pubs are packed at lunch hour with folks drinking beer (and they didn't even make the top 10). Maybe they don't get as fat as us because they're out drinking and socializing instead of being cooped up at home on the couch watching TV.

Drinking is down in the US compared to the past. Per capita consumption among people over 14 in the US:
2000 2.18 gallons
1990 2.43 gallons
1980 2.76 gallons

Whatever happened to the 2 martini lunch? And, as tikifish said, in the colonial times and up to prohibition people drank enourmous quantities of ale and rum.

What about underage drinking? Drinking among those 17 years old and less went down by two thirds between 1985 and 1997 according to research by the federal government.

Many studies have shown the health benefits of moderate drinking. One study showed that 135,884 additional deaths by coronary heart disease would occur each year in the US if everyone abstained from drinking!

I got these facts from a web site by David J. Hanson, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus of Sociology at the State University of New York at Potsdam. The site includes references to the source of all stated facts.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol-info/index.html

Drink up Bong and stop worrying! Just watch the drinking and driving.

I don't know about my liver, but I know my judgment sure has been impaired in the past after one too many rum drinks!

I'm learning to love mineral water and N/A beer, although the presentation does not compare to a well-made mai tai... (but at least I don't hate myself in the morning!)

T

It's perfectly normal to drink at lunch in Canada too. I just got back from 2 pints at the Foggy Dew!

And of course, I must mention the fact that my Gramps and Nana still drink like fish. Gramps smokes a cigar every day (gave up cigs 10 years ago). Nana is now a young 93 and Gramps a cranky 90. Go figure.
My Great Granma passed at 99. Enjoyed a sherry everday at dinner. At least that's all she'd let on to.
I come from sturdy Swedish stock, the type that have babies out in the field and go right back to what we were doing prior. Chalk it up to genetics.

T

(shhhh, don't tell anyone, this thread was just a little skit...)

UB

On 2005-06-02 18:33, Tiki_Bong wrote:
I firmly believe today's society drinks way too much.

I'll drink to that!

Favorite Drunk Movies:

Days of Wine And Roses
Lost Weekend
Leaving Las Vegas
Under the Volcano

Favorite Drunk Songs:

Drunkard's Waltz - Martin Mull
I Drink Alone - George Thoroughgood
Wine,Wine,Wine - Electric Flag
America Drinks and Goes Home -the Mothers

Favorite Drunk Holidays:

OKTOBERFEST! (that was a no-brainer)
St. Patrick's Day (hey, I ain't Irish either...drink up)
Cinco de Mayo (uno mas margaritta por favor)
Tiki Oasis (for me at least)

Booze is so much a part of our society if it disappeared tomorrow a lot of people would drop dead!

T

Tiki-bot, it's now up to you to create a drink called "Moderation".

Jab, I can't believe anyone beat the French, or that if they did, it wasn't the Russians. Or the Irish. WTF?!?

Bong: I know, but it turned out so well, dammit.

P

On 2005-06-03 07:46, Hurricane Vic wrote:
Moderation is the key.

Actually,

SUPERB TASTE SENSATION is the key!

(at least at Tiki Ti)

Pages: 1 13 replies