Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Shhhh! iPod has a Dirty Secret

Pages: 1 16 replies

D

DawnTiki's iPod testicalmonial:
I've had my iPod for less than 6 months, it was a Christmas gift. Not being "hep" to technological mumbojumbo, I didn't even know what an iPod was. I think when the "Get your free iPod" deal was going around here was the first time I had ever heard of one.
5 months after getting it... how on earth did I manage to go sooo long without one of these, me and my iPod, life is good!
5 months and 1 day later Hummmmph...battery won't hold a charge. Grrrr! I find out you can't replace iPod batteries, you have to buy a whole brand new unit!!!
Huh? Waaa?
I have said it before and I'll say it again! WTF?!?!

iPods Dirty Secret

Info about iPod's Dirty Secret

In September of 2003 the battery in my first generation ipod would hold a charge for no longer than one hour. I brought the iPod into the Apple store in Manhattan for repair and was told they did not currently offer a battery replacement and my best option was to buy a new ipod. I then called the Apple Care 800 number regarding this issue and was told the same. I then sent my ipod to the Apple Executive office addressed to Steve Jobs with a note explaining my situation and requesting a replacement battery. The Apple Executive office contacted me via telephone to explain that Apple does not repair or replace dead ipod batteries and that it was policy of the company to recommend to the customer to purchase a new ipod when the battery fails. I then purchased a third party replacement battery, which was not endorsed by Apple. After the complicated installation, my ipod did not work at all, even when plugged in.

In response to this experience my brother Van and I made the short film "iPod's Dirty Secret." After we finished production of the film, Apple began offerring a battery replacement program for the ipod for a fee of $99 and an extended warranty for the ipod for $59.

We acknowledge Apple's new battery replacement policy. Our movie is a documentation of our experience.

-Casey Neistat
[email protected]

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-06-02 22:48 ]

Get the newest ipod, and always get a 2 year warranty that covers the battery, viruses, etc. Future shop offers one, if it has to be repaired more than three times, you get a new one no questions asked. The extended warranty apple offers isn't as good.

I had the first generation ipod and it was great for about 6 years, not bad! Replaced with a mini in January, it's been good despite the recent release of the "fixed" ones. I use it every day, on my way to work then I hook it up to some speakers at my desk. (Stoopid windoz ME won't handle iTunes)

H

What about the class action lawsuit regarding this very issue. Can you get in on that?

Apparently the lawsuit will provide a $50 voucher to certain afflicted ipod owners. The lawsuit would also extend the ipod warranty to two years.

However, since your battery crapped out within 1 year, you are probably entitled to a free replacement battery. This may mean that you don't get the voucher though but I'm not sure.

Here's the news article:
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20050603/D8AFTR1G2.html

Here's the direct link for settlement forms:
http://www.appleipodsettlement.com/

D

Thanks for the tips guys. As far as the recall goes, I received it as a gift last Christmas, so no receipt and the recall only goes up to iPods purchased before May of last year. :cry:

I've heard this is the "dirty secret" for cell phones as well - they are designed to not last longer than a year so that customers will have to upgrade a LOT (and then get pressured to renew their 2 year contract each time - grrrrr).

Makes sense to just stick with the cheapie phone each time.

but then, I'm fairly low-tech. Yes, I still jog with a $15 CASSETTE walkman (it doesn't play so well...)

hahaha, ya me and cell phones are jinxed.

First, I dropped it in the pond. It actually worked after that!(I've got quick reflexes when I need them)

The next weekend, I was doing some gardening, so I took it out of my pocket(so as to not loose it in the pond again). Did some digging and promptly stepped backwards, crunch! It actually still worked after that, but both screens were pooched for a month until my contract was almost up(Bell gave me $100 off my next phone)
Lesson learned: When you rely on your cell as your only phone, you have to be very careful with it! Get a company that will lend you, free of charge, a temporary replacement.

I'm now also very careful with my ipod, I won't even put it in the same purse compartment with my keys. These tiny electronics are wonderful, and they are getting better and better every day.

S

My daughter was given a Shuffle recently. I loaded the software on my Windows XP Pro machine and it brought it to it's knees. It locked it up for the first time ever. When the iTunes software is running, nothing else can be done. IT. IS. AWFUL.

T

I use a Mac at home, but the iPOD seems like a well-designed yet expensive and limited gadget to me.

I'm waiting for the multimedia pocket PCs that are just around the corner. With those, you'll be able to play mp3s, plus watch movies, read and send email, go online with a wireless connection, connect to a GPS to map your route, etc. , all for a little more money than an iPOD.

T

dangergirl299 wrote:
I'm fairly low-tech. Yes, I still jog with a $15 CASSETTE walkman
I can relate. I stay about 20 years behind on a lot of tech., which puts me in about 1985 right now. I make mixed audio tapes on cassette. My video camera is a VHS one that rests on my shoulder. I figure I'll start burning CDs for personal use soon, now that CDs are being replaced by Ipods and the like. It's not that I try to be retro -- I'm just slow.

When I have something to show (tiki-related home projects), I'll have to capitulate and get some kind of digital camera. 'Till then, hey, at least I always remember to rewind my video tapes...

On 2005-06-03 12:04, thejab wrote:
I use a Mac at home, but the iPOD seems like a well-designed yet expensive and limited gadget to me.

This is true, if you want to do more than just listen to music, look at pictures and transfer files. It still has the best capacity, weight and size, for now.

If what you want to do with it goes further than that, I would agree, look elsewhere! Soon there will be something affordable that does it all(give it six months)

Swanky, my husband uses his iPod on a Windows XP platform, I'll ask him if there are any tricks he has to get it working well. He has several thousand songs on there and uses it in conjunction with an iPod shuffle.

-Tw

S

Once in a while I get lucky I guess. I'm getting pretty close to the two year point and no trouble yet. (40 gb-no photo)

I use the thing constantly too. Most of the time hooked up to the car charger or the computer or the external plug thing so perhaps I'm not wearing out the battery too fast.

There are aftermarket kits with a battery, tool for opening the thing, and instructions through most online apple dealers. (try http://www.dealmac.com for info)

I've heard the problem with PCs and ipods though. Can't help you there. I think the thing is great and as progress marches on they'll only get smaller and better.

Check out the battery kits and good luck!

S
sinner posted on Fri, Jun 3, 2005 2:40 PM

Ditch itunes and install ephpod...it even works with crappy 'ol winme.
http://www.ephpod.com/download.shtml

W

Why bother with such a limited toy?
Get a Palm-top with good sound capabilities(especially one that takes SD cards so you can swap files out without hard-lining) and be able to listen to music...AND have your day planner, photos, digital camera, calculator, notepad, sketchbook, phone book, games etc some models are also phones as well.

On 2005-06-03 14:40, sinner wrote:
Ditch itunes and install ephpod...it even works with crappy 'ol winme.
http://www.ephpod.com/download.shtml

COOL! Thanks! Now I just need a sound card for this craptastic computer.

Apple just settled a class action lawsuite on this very subject... I have no idea how to get your claim, but follow up!

PS - I love my iPod :)

June 3, 2005
Apple Settles iPod Battery Claim
By Tim Gray

Apple (Quote, Chart) has agreed to settle a class-action lawsuit over the rechargeable battery in its popular iPod. The suit could potentially cost the company $100 million, the plaintiffs attorney's said Friday.

The settlement covers an estimated 2 million users who had battery problems with older versions of the digital music player. They are now eligible to receive $50 vouchers and extended warranties under the agreement.

San Francisco-based law firm Girard Gibbs & De Bartolomeo posted a notice announcing the settlement on its Web site Thursday.

The complaint, which was filed by eight disgruntled iPod owners in the fall of 2003, charged the company had exaggerated claims that the rechargeable battery would last the lifetime of the player and would allow for continuous use up to 10 hours.

However, the plaintiffs claimed it would last only approximately four hours and complained the batteries needed to be replaced after less than a year-and-a-half of use. New batteries for the product cost $99.

Eligible members of the lawsuit include those who bought a first-, second- or third-generation iPod on or before May 31, 2004, according to the agreement. Lawyers say the settlement could affect as many as 2 million people who bought versions of iPod through May 2004.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple confirmed the settlement agreement but did not comment further.

Because the settlement provides for different options and benefits depending on the type of iPod affected, it could be hard to gauge how many iPod owners will submit a claim.

But the cost could be huge for Apple, because it is estimated that the battery issue could have affected 2 million customers.

The judge in the case is expected to approve the final settlement at a hearing set for August 25.

H

On 2005-06-03 15:47, mrs. pineapple wrote:
Apple just settled a class action lawsuite on this very subject... I have no idea how to get your claim, but follow up!

See my post above. It has the link to file a claim.

On 2005-06-03 17:13, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2005-06-03 15:47, mrs. pineapple wrote:

See my post above. It has the link to file a claim.

ooops. sorry, I swear, I scanned through to see if anyone had posted the link!

our iPod is pre-2004, hmmm, should we take the $50?

Pages: 1 16 replies