Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

hear ye hear ye

Pages: 1 16 replies

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Jun 3, 2005 3:49 PM

At the moment I have neither the Tiki New or Tiki magazine. I was wondering which one to get.

I know that many of you probably get both and I probabbly will in time.

This post is not for saying which one is better but which one would be better for me if that could be true. Maybe they are nearly the same?

I usually get magazines to read over newspapers, mostly cause magizines are on the subjects that interest me. They tend to be more current then books but not as current as a newspaper. But , yes, both the Tiki paper and magizine are quarterly.

The paper has staying power from 1995 and the magazine is brand spanking new. Not sure about which one has more color pages but I just read that the mag has great pictures and yet not even seen the cover. I like the cover art for the paper but don't know much about it.

Knowledge is power, so I just want some info on which info too get.

I would definitely get the new tiki magazine. no question

hear ye hear ye,

If you can't budget in the 3.95 plus 2 for each, then sell your computer!

T

On 2005-06-03 23:08, RevBambooBen wrote:
If you can't budget in the 3.95 plus 2 for each, then sell your computer!

Exactly! It's not like you're deciding which $500 carving to buy. Get them both. Live a little!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jun 4, 2005 7:57 AM

I like magazines for the quality photo factor, which is a cool way to get ideas

OL

I just read that the mag has great pictures and yet not even seen the cover.

You can see the cover of Tiki Magazine at the website http://www.tikimag.net

ummmm, tiki news isn't a newspaper.

They both have glossy pages and lotsa pictures.

Seriously, buy them all. $4.

"You're the mayor of shark city, people think you want the beaches open."

[ Edited by: mrs. pineapple on 2005-06-04 19:20 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Jun 4, 2005 7:27 PM

If you can't budget in the 3.95 plus 2 for each

for a year 3.95 times 4 times 2. Yeah I thhink that I will have to get a hold of the mag. cause it is the first one and you know about the first superman. Maybe the first one I get will be at an event.

ITs just that I have so many subscriptions from other magazines and I don't like them anymore but yeah I know I would like tiki subject bathroom reading material. But I do get a lot of daily fix from wonderful TC.

THanks TeaKEY

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Jun 4, 2005 7:45 PM

ok ok.

I am a new tiki mag owner. Just bought it. I guess I want to know the unknown sooner than event time.

K
Kukoae posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2005 4:55 AM

On 2005-06-04 19:19, mrs. pineapple wrote:
ummmm, tiki news isn't a newspaper.

They both have glossy pages and lotsa pictures.

Seriously, buy them all. $4.

The only problem is that Otto seems to have gone AWOL. I'd sent him a cheque for the current issue and #16 over a month ago, and while I've received my copy of Tiki Magazine (my subscription was sent to them on the same day) arrived 3+ weeks ago, there's still no sign of Tiki News.

Is Otto on holidays, or has his 'zine gone defunct?

=Kukoae=

Yes, Otto has taken ALL the profits from Tiki News and Oasis and fled the country.

He's living the high life on a barge floating on the Delaware River, probably between Camden and the Chesapeake Bay.

set sarcasm meter to HIGH

try emailing him
and complaining, tell him I sent you :)

"You're the mayor of shark city, people think you want the beaches open."

[ Edited by: mrs. pineapple on 2005-06-05 10:28 ]

On 2005-06-04 19:45, teaKEY wrote:
ok ok.

I am a new tiki mag owner. Just bought it. I guess I want to know the unknown sooner than event time.

I'm sorry, WHAT???

I throw nickles around like they're manhole covers, and even I managed to break out $3.95 (a coupla moths flew out of my old coin purse when I got the lock undone).

K
Kukoae posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2005 6:01 PM

On 2005-06-05 10:27, mrs. pineapple wrote:
Yes, Otto has taken ALL the profits from Tiki News and Oasis and fled the country.

I wasn't at all suggesting he'd cashed the cheque and not delivered. It's rather mean spirited of you to assume that's what I meant. ("Sarcasm meter" or not.)

If he'd CASHED the cheque and didn't send something after 3-4 weeks, I'd start to think unkindly thoughts. But that isn't the case here.

My message was simple: "he's not at home or responding." So a prospective "newcomer" might be put-off by an untimely delay without an adequate heads-up that something/one might have absconded with Otto.

=Kukoae=

The sarcasm meter was regarding the 'profits' (there aren't any), and the long history on TC about Otto, Tiki News subscriptions, disgruntled subscribers and the frequency at which it is published. Not any cynicism directed at your post, really.

Seriously, email him about it and tell him mrs. pineapple promised you he would send out your copy, and that she's getting tired of fighting his battles on TC for him :wink:

He's not out of town, He gets about 300 pieces of mail at the TN mailbox a week. He works 50 hours a week, has a 3 year old, and just finished planning and executing Tiki Oasis 5, and is now in the the planning stages for TIKI ART NOW 2. (yeah! aother Munktiki vending machine haul!) Otto and Tiki News believe in anticipation, just when you've given up, it'll show up at your door, and you'll have 4 days of bathroom reading material!

:)

M

My opinion on starting a Tiki news subscription is to send him the money for a year, and ask him to start the subscription by sending any available back issues first. Note; not all issues are available so you may not get sequential issues--there might be some gaps. If you get four back issues ("one year"-spoken loosely), read them and if you like Tiki News, repeat the process until you get one each of the back issues he has left. That's what Smiley would do.

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Jun 9, 2005 5:10 PM

I bought the mag at 6/4 at night and got it today 6/9. thats fast and I live on the Eastside. Now I think I will have to get the newspaper before I finish the magizine

Pages: 1 16 replies