Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

saxotica's stuff: New stuff added 12-16

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

S

Greetings, I've been lurking a while; this is my first post. I got inspired to try a tiki...here's my first try It's about 32" tall. Glad to be here.I'll post pics of the one I'm working on now when I get it finished.Thanks.

[ Edited by: saxotica 2005-07-17 11:54 ]

[ Edited by: saxotica 2005-07-21 15:01 ]

[ Edited by: saxotica 2005-07-26 08:48 ]

[ Edited by: saxotica 2005-07-26 08:49 ]

[ Edited by: saxotica 2005-07-31 17:50 ]

[ Edited by: saxotica 2006-12-16 09:43 ]

Welcome to TC Saxotica. That is some first tiki! Most don't try a full body right off the bat, so you must be a "type A" tiki carver. We must see more tikis from you ASAP. Thanks for ceasing to lurk and joining the group. Where are you from?

A-A

S

Thanks for the fast reply ! I'm just outside of Athens, Ga. I'm working on a 5 footer right now that I think is going to be cool. It's a lot more complex. I got inspired by the work of a lot of folks here on TC but mostly by Basement Kahuna.

K
kirby posted on Fri, Jun 3, 2005 10:14 PM

looks cool keep it up. post more...kirby

O

Wow that is great, really nice work. What did you use to carve it?

OnoTiki

[ Edited by: OnoTiki on 2005-06-04 03:45 ]

B

Welcome to TC, as you enter with a Bang.
Well just look at that "First" tiki. Another excellent example of what happens when a tiki-but gets inspired to carve a tiki. Way cool. Nice "Extras" detail like the neck and ankle adornments. Can't wait for # 2.
You don't have to wait until its finished to post pic's because we Love those "in progress" shots..

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Jun 4, 2005 6:36 AM

That is a good 100th tiki. They don't have to get better than that one. Most tiki look like something else made, but this one looks original and nice at that. I like how the body isn't all small. I don't like the small bodies cause it makes the tiki look feeble and head heavy. Keep tikis like this coming anytime.

Great Tiki- he's got alot of character.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jun 4, 2005 7:55 AM

Very cool carving. Cant wait to see more

S

Thanks for all the kind words. I have spent hours and hours here looking at all the outstanding work and it is very inspiring. I finally got the BOT. Here's Tiki #2 that is in progress. I really want to develop my own style that is still "in the tradition". Thanks to everyone who have shared their work here on TC.

Man- YOur Tiki's are very cool!! I really like this new one! The faces in it's mouth is a really trippy twist!! Keep up the excellent work I can't wait to see more!
Later,
Spermy

I really like the tiki teeth. Way to leave your mark, Sax.

B

This one looks petty cool too. Where did you learn how to carve and what else have you carved. Looks like you have some experience or training lurking back there somewhere.
Nice

S

Well, no training that's for sure. I've always fooled around with making stuff. I carved a Queen out of a cedar log one time 20 years ago and I carved a jester once out of a pine 10x10. I carved a couple of Santa Clauses and some fish. I tried my hand at stone carving for a while back in the 80s...some heads and some gargoyles. I accidentally stumbled onto this web site and got inspired. I need some tools; I only have one chisel [a Stanley] By the way Ben, I greatly admire your work. To me, you, Basement Kahuna, Gecko,and Lake Surfer are my favorites and I LOVE Heather Watt's paintings. I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch of folks. I can't believe how much killer stuff is on this site.

K
Kono posted on Sat, Jun 4, 2005 8:18 PM

On 2005-06-04 18:32, saxotica wrote:
I really want to develop my own style that is still "in the tradition".

Damn! As far as I'm concerned, you've already met this goal. You apparently have "The Gift." These are outstanding pieces of art.

These are very fine pieces. Any one would go beautifully in my yard. Great job!

F

I really like the tiki with a tiki with a tiki...great job and welcome to TC

Nice! And I'm with ya on keeping the traditional style going...styling it to you, is the trick.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2005 7:21 AM

That is cool dude. Simple yet original idea and stunning execution. Cant wait to see it stained.

Can't beleive you got that little carving experience either

Everyone laughs at me because I am different. I laugh at everyone else because they are all the same.

[ Edited by: hewey on 2005-06-05 07:23 ]

R

Wow , super nice work .
Glad to see you joined us. post more pics soon.

Damn, Sax...you're good.

Holy shit Basement chimed in!

Awesome carving Sax

Love your originality! There is so many styles out there that it's not an easy thing for most people to do......keep the pictures coming...; )

S

Here's what happens when you store a Tiki in a mini warehouse in Georgia in the Summertime: http://www.pysankyjewels.com/tikipage2.html

It's hard to see that happen Sax. But you just gotta roll with it. My most recent tikis all have huge cracks right down through the middle of the face. I actually used my palm chisels to "clean up" the cracks, then folded some sandpaper in half & ran it through the cracks. It actually makes them look better. Hey I'd prefer it didn't crack, but what can you do? Looking on the bright side, it makes 'em look more vintage. :)

A-A

S

Greetings to all... I got my wife into the Tiki thing now. Here are some pins and earrings: She makes jewelry on eggshells, then cuts them out and puts a thick epoxy backing.Here's some earrings still on the egg You can see more soon at her website http://www.pysankyjewels.com

S

Here's the latest one I'm working on... He's carved out of a spruce 2X8 and is 28" tall.

[ Edited by: saxotica 2005-07-10 19:59 ]

[ Edited by: saxotica 2005-08-02 07:22 ]

A

cool stuff!
I like the little mouth-a-fied one.

Did you seal or stain the others?

@

S

Here's the latest...He's about half done. 20" tall, oak.

H

Your stuff is cool, and your missus has some nice stuff as well. I am sure you could find some good homes for some of that stuff here.

B

Definitely different. I really like it. How long have you been carving? Can't wait to see the latest one as he looks like he may be my favorite so far. Thanks for posting these pix!

S

This one is a wine bottle frosted with a sandblaster...

S

oops

[ Edited by: saxotica 2005-07-11 14:00 ]

S

[ Edited by: saxotica 2005-08-02 07:25 ]

Tikis within tiki within tiki , I dont think you could work any more in there. Nice work . keep em coming.

B

Saxotica,your art is new and different and seems to be leaning toward contemporary tiki which is nice but a difficult sell with some people. I really like it and as long as you enjoy it, there will always bethose who love your work. Right now you have not done too many pieces so cannot have a large fan base. I would keep it more traditional with a bit of contemporary thrown in until you get a fan base built up, then you can pretty much do what you want all the time. You definitely have some sweet hands(for sculpture) that most artists would beg,lie, and steal for. Just keep it coming.Thanks for the props. I agree there are some killer artists hanging aroun these pages. I get tons of inspiration every time I visit. Don't hesitate to ever ask Any ?'s you might have about anything.
keep up the good work.

Innovative tiki! Very cool stuff, sax.

[ Edited by: saxotica 2005-08-02 07:18 ]

T

I had a killer idea just a second ago for a tiki mug. (Man I wish I was the three member of Munktiki cause they have the studio and name and I got some mug ideas that have never been thought up and could be the best) Anyways, I wanted a original looking tiki for a part of my mug idea and I knew that I would have to look your stuff over again. Compeletely fresh looking and 100% tiki. Your stuff could have came from an undiscovered tiki island.

Its the stuff that I knew tiki could be. Original and great. its clean and still has its areas of details. You have five or six tiki pictures of cravings. That line of direction means that all your stuff is going to be good for along time.

Looks great, Sax! That is a nice style you've got. Try listing it in the "Tiki Marketplace" - you'll get better exposure there for a sale.

A-A

On 2005-07-09 13:11, saxotica wrote:
Here's the latest one I'm working on... He's carved out of a spruce 2X8 and is 28" tall. If anybody thinks they want this one, just PM me.

[ Edited by: saxotica 2005-07-10 19:59 ]

This reminds me of the cannibal trio turned into one single being.

S

engraved river stones.Image is 3D. I sandblasted the area around the image.The dark part of the image is the natural color of the outside of the rock and the grey is the sandblated inner part of the rock.Quarter shown for size comparison. This one is carved from a cedar board

[ Edited by: saxotica 2005-07-21 19:11 ]

[ Edited by: saxotica 2005-08-02 07:19 ]

Those river stones look great . Did you mask off the design with heavy tape first? nice carvings too.

S

Thanks, Rodeo. I use a "peel and stick" stencil material that is made for the granite engraving/monument industry. I draw the design on the stencil,stick it to the rock, then cut it out with an exacto type knife [the kind with the snap off blades]. Then I sandblast it. The only thing is, it's a one off process...you have to cut a new stencil for each rock. I'm working on some 12" X 12" slate pieces now, slate tiles, like the floor the rocks are sitting on.

S

S

My wife finished the earrings I think they look pretty cool! Here's a tiki robot I'm working on to do my bidding His head and body are carved from a piece of cypress and his arms and legs are electrical conduit scrap. I still need to add feet and hands and a death ray.Slate floor not included.

Love that tiki robot! Very cool, sax.

T

like always, your stuff is what it should be. That looks like a metal voodoo doll.

Pages: 1 2 58 replies