Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Fire, smoke, water and other tiki magic

Pages: 1 9 replies

There are many of the "leaky" tikis with fountains (really like them with tiers), but what about smoke and fire? Anyone know how or have seek some cool techniques to add that little extra magic to your tiki on display?

M

Oh, yes I'd like to hear some suggestions. In our new house, we've decided to limit our tikiness to our tiny back patio area, so I'm looking for ideas on how to build a unique fountain. Someone awhile back mentioned simulating a lava effect with lighting, but I never saw the end result. I work for an engineering company, who specializes in lighting design, so at every opportunity, I ask the sales reps that come in if they have any suggestions. I've yet to hear one that doesn't cost a booty-load of money.

Our tastes are less traditional mid-century tiki, more taboo. I want my backyard to feel like I got lost on a deserted island- not sipping Mai Tais on a sandy beach.

What about misters? I'd bet with the right application of heated brick or stone, and misting, a low lying fog effect could be created like asphalt on a sunny CA morning as the dew starts to evaporate of the road.

On 2005-06-04 10:08, Capt'n Skully wrote:
There are many of the "leaky" tikis with fountains (really like them with tiers), but what about smoke and fire? Anyone know how or have seek some cool techniques to add that little extra magic to your tiki on display?

F

I put a Mystic-mister in to a fountain that I had ... I purchased it 2 years ago and its still going strong. But use purified water cause the sreens that it uses clog with impurities....also it can only be 1/2" to 1" underwater to work. but it does have a cool led light with a changable lens that gives a mild glow that look cool to. The cost was only 19.99 at the flea market. In another fountain i installed an underwater light from "harbour freight" that also has changable lenses. I puts out about 6 wats of light to really make the water glow... I recently installed a fireplace on my patio and was looking to use the gell for fires. I found one fountain/fireplace called fire and water that i thought i could incorporate in some sort of tiki ritual. I hope this is helpfyull

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

[ Edited by: flacookz on 2005-06-05 06:31 ]

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2005 8:06 AM

Wayne Coombs (Mai Tiki) Has smoke machines that pump it out their noses. One has it coming out the top along with bubbles. And in a twist on the fountain, has a sensor in it so it pees on you when you get close.

Anyone used dry ice for parties?

F

The dry ice is a pain for me. but the mister works great I have dealt with this guy and his service has been great for me. i gbought serveral pumps for fountains and small waterfalls.

http://www.artisticdelights.com/pummishallig1.html

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

[ Edited by: flacookz on 2005-06-05 17:30 ]

This is a nice one for a fountain or pond...

http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/crafters2000/set53kimbfntn.JPG

Great link!

T

Ok a question I can answer.,,,,
Smoke... Fog machine, run pvc thru tiki. For raising fog use it as it comes. If you want fog that hugs the ground you need to chill, PM me and Ill show you some tricks.

Fire. I put tiki torch lamps in the heads.. You could fit them wath LP.. plenty of threads I can point you to... Or look at my last thread for fire..

F

Hook us all up. Thanatos post it here or shoot me a message pointing me in the right direction. Cause it sounds like you have some extra ideas that I know I haven't thought of.

Thanks in advance

F

Hook us all up. Thanatos post it here or shoot me a message pointing me in the right direction. Cause it sounds like you have some extra ideas that I know I haven't thought of.

Thanks in advance

Pages: 1 9 replies