Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Swanky creates elaborate firewood

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies

M

Swanky, Don't give up! He's comin along fine man.

I use lots of emery cloth and Steel Wools in a range of coarseness. I use wifflers now and Dremel sanding wheels and fine bits from Kutzall.

Keep him coming along.

Mahalo

S

More carved trim for the bar front.

Hope to have this installed by Saturday for some special guests in the Hideaway.

That looks awesome!

S

A little after these were taken I decided to call him done and started sanding. I may get back out the chisels and work the eyes a little deeper. Next step is to test my stain on a srap piece and if I like it, I will likely stain it and really be done this weekend.

F

WOW, Swanky! I love the detailed trim idea!!! It looks great, man!

I am remodeling my kitchen and was trying to think of a way of working some custom carved crown molding into my design, without having to hand chisel the entire thing. I have a router and want to try this. Do you have any advice to offer on the subject? Bit style/depth, etc... also, routers are squirrely... how do you keep your panels so even?

S

Furball, it is not as hard as you imagine. A little bi tof practice to start and then just rip it. For the straight line trim I used a large V bit and for the swirls a large round bit. The first line sets the piece. Once you hit it, you follow it with the next and so not. Only problems were when I hit a knot is would want to get out of line.

If it isn't too basic, I also did not use a plunge base. Set your depth and roll the router down at the edges into the cut and back up on the other end. Remove the stuff that will keep you from seeing the wood and bit and wear safety glasses for sure. Clamps!

Once you get going, it just rolls right out. Was easy. There are lots of ways to go with it.

Torching will make sanding un-needed, although you will need to clean it up afterwards to get rid of ash. A tire brush first to remove most and then old towels and maybe a tack-cloth at the end or some other way to get the remaining charcoal dust gone.

It take more time and trouble to design it and lay it out than to do the routing.

S

Here is the trim installed.

This is the rafter covering and read "Okole Maluna Headhunter Lounge" in there

Bar front trim.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs coming Winter 2011!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2011-10-11 13:16 ]

Looks great!

F

Thanks Dude! Also thanks for posting the finished pics, looks awesome! I'm stoked to try this!

Q

Holy cow!! That trim looks fantastic! Very swanky, Swanky. :)

the carving looks good too, but that trim really looks great.

Cheers!

T

Actually he's sitting on his defeated enemy he is about to eat. Once I get to doing their faces it'll be a little more clear. So, that's the other guy between his legs, not some enormous member...

Killer trim! Tiki turned out pretty fine. Yes, I see the enemy now! :lol:

S

Here he is sanded. Had trouble on his teeth. Sanding caused chipped teeth which I superglued back. No telling how that will look when stained. I will do a tiny bit more clean up. Every time I pick it up I am unsatisfied with the sanding work and do more. I can never get anything finished! Soon. Very soon.

I started with 80 grit, then 150, 200, 300 and 400. That fixed up many issues, but also highlighted others that got out the chisels and knives and fixed. Added depth to cuts here and there and got rid of bad spots.

Folding the sand paper allowed me to get in some crevices, but not completely.

T

Lookin good. I use Dremel bits to get into the crevices where possible.

S

I will look at what I have for my dremel. Been reading and may try some emory boards too.

In small deep cuts like the enemies eyes and in very deep cut areas like the top of his thighs way back near the body, I have not gottne in there well. Gonna try a few things this week when I have time to smooth out the rough stuff.

P

get a tungsten burr. Andy (Mc Tiki) turned me on to 'em. He's the "burr guy".

All the crap ones I ever used from home depot were burned & useless in no time. That Saburr demel bit is awesome. Got one a few weeks ago and it's still tearin' it up....

B

That "Firewood" is looking pretty good Swank. Thats what it's all about,,, carve it and sand it, clean up all the nooks and cranny's and sand it some more... Clean up all the nooks and cranny's, sand again and keep going until it's acceptable to you. Trouble is peeps usually think it's "Good Enough" because after all it's just a tiki and why spend time fixing all that small stuff. Well, that Small Stuff shows up more than the big stuff and will Always be there telling on you.
I use the Klingspor's spindle mounted "Mac Mop" to get into all those unreachable areas. They work like magic, are quick and easy, just stick it into a drill and use it on all your carvings from pendant sized to giant tiki size. It won't take away the details and does a great job.
DON'T go for the less expensive "Sanding stars" they will not work here!
"
Many customers call and ask "How do I sand a profile without changing the shape?" Well, our Sanding Mop Kit is the answer. Ask woodworkers from across the country and they will tell you that this is the very best contour sanding system on the market today. We have taken our most flexible aluminum oxide cloth, added lubricants and special resins and made the ideal product for profile sanding.You'll be amazed at the time you will save and the finish in which you can achieve. Set up of the mops is simple. We have also added the widest selection of mandrels in the woodworking market so that you can build that perfect sanding mop for your specific profile sanding needs. Build your mops to the width and flexibility of your choice by adding or taking away sleeves. This is a must have for all woodworking shops, get your KLINGSPOR GOLD Sanding Mop Kits today."

Pack of 48 sheets
Does not include mandrel
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/mm07102/

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/fs36080/

FACEBOOK

[ Edited by: Benzart 2011-11-27 05:43 ]

S

Good to know Ben. I have literally finished him, but not posted any pics. I wiped it down with a damp rag to raise the grain, sanded with about 400 grit, then did it over and over until no grain came up any more, then stained it. Didn't like the color, and stained it again... Pics soon.

S

As promised:

I didn't get the stain into his teeth and neck a bit. I think a Q-tip ought to get that spot. I intend to do a satin finish clear coat and then be done.

98-99% done with chisels. 1-2% done with knives.

T

Came out great Swanky. Usually I get a small hobbyist paint brush and go over those little kind of spots that get missed when staining with a rag or larger brush.

Very cool! A great piece that really shows off that grain. I've seen that sanding pad of Benz's, it's pretty magical!

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies