M
Mambo posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2005 6:49 PM

I have been on Zocor for high cholestorol
going on three years now.
If you read the pamphlets and literature
that come with the prescription, it warns
about intake of alchohol.
Every 6 months you are supposed to get
blood work done to check your liver functions, which I have done.

I am concerned about the long term affects
of taking statin drugs (zocor, lipitor, crestor, etc.) and alcohol. I am thinking
liver damage over long term use.

I have to admit, I am a weekend partyer.
I would love to here from any fellow ohana
who are on these meds and your thoughts.

Mahalo.

T

Well, I'm on meds, but not those.

I firmly believe the effects of my meds are enhanced by prodigious alcohol comsumption.

(except for the 3rd testicle thing...)

UB

Yes, it is a f#*%n strange world we live in.
I gave up Lipitor after one month, so that I may continue alcohol.
I also gave up sugar, Tylenol, and Anacin for the same reason.
I eat much better, which does not justify this circus, but I take blood tests once a year, to walk this high wire.
I don’t recommend this balancing act to anyone.
But I still LOVE this life, and I'm having fun.
So be it.
And also, Tiki Rocks!
Addendum: This is only a test.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2005-06-06 00:09 ]

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2005-06-06 11:49 ]

T
Thomas posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2005 9:47 PM

I wonder about the other side of the ledger. That is, OK, cholesterol might be, and frankly remain, on the high side. But recall the news about salmon, grape juice (and moderate wine) and stuff like that. What if you just zero in on those dietary inputs (like the aforementioned, and there are many others I think -- garlic is one, no? -- and of course there's the (low-dose) aspirin regime too) which are known to be positives with regard to arterio ... uh, problems ... and regularly consume above-average (though still moderate of course) amounts? Mightn't this possibly "balance the ledger" and reduce anxiety regarding this topic?

Hey, I claim no expertise, just some thoughts. I wish my behavior was always as rational as my thoughts when it comes to these matters!

T
Thomas posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2005 9:57 PM

Quote:
I would love to here from any fellow ohana
who are on these meds and your thoughts.
Woops -- I am not on the meds. Sorry, kind of diverged from your original query. My mistake.

H

If you don't have the sort of relationship with your doctor where you feel comfortable with what you learn from him, you need to work on that relationship. That may mean a new doctor, that may mean overcoming your hand-on-doorknob syndrome problem, whatever. Bottom line is, you need to be asking your doctor for advice before you're asking the advice of a bunch of yahoos on the internet. I love and trust these here drunkard yahoos, but good god, talk to your effing doctor.

*On 2005-06-06 00:48, Humuhumu wrote:*good god, talk to your effing doctor.

Absolutely! I hope no saw my post as advise. Amazing how much crap is out there on the net to "help you".
See a doctor.

T
Thomas posted on Mon, Jun 6, 2005 2:32 PM

Drunkard yahoos?! Now just a darn minute! I'll have you know, Ma'am, I ... um ... well, on second thought...

By all means, talk to your medical professional!

That being said, here's the 'drunken yahoo' version:

One of my coworkers has been told by her doctor to drastically reduce her cholesterol, and she's been on assorted cholesterol meds. The extent of her doctor's advice was, "avoid trans-fats". So we got some books from the library, and started reading about what trans fats really are, and how to detect them on food labels.

When you realize trans fats are made from hydrogenated oil, bleach and nickel, and designed to not break down into anything a human (or animal) body can use, it gets really enlightening, and scary.

Also, FDA laws allow a product to be labeled "no trans fats" even if it does have trans fats under 0.5% per serving.

Anyway, after getting rid of the trans-fats, and high-fructose corn syrup, and mostly switching to organic snacks (Newman's cookies, as in Paul Newman), after 4 months, she had reduced her cholesterol enough to be off the statins. She has since switched doctors, as the original doctor recommended foods that had plenty of trans-fats in them (but under 0.5%) to keep her on meds indefinitely.

Everything in moderation, even moderation. :)

S

Listen to Humuhumu, simply talk to your doctor. Your concern is legitimate, and a common concern of those on perscription meds.

Talk to your doctor, that is why you pay them, be truthful about your social habits, and amounts/frequency ingested.

They will take this into consideration along with your lab values to figure out the best way for you to stay healthy and maintain the type of lifestyle and practices you wish.

Good luck.

Pages: 1 9 replies