Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

This needs alot of work....

Pages: 1 11 replies

Any suggestions?..........all are welcome...... I know it looks tacky now.. Two of the walls have bamboo on them it's hard to see in this picture...., I want to give it a more tropical look....I would like to add a palm awning or some kind of roof to it and maybe a little bar up there... does anyone have any plans to share that I could use? Does any one know how I can do this without spending alot of money... or where to get a good bargain. I'm out of work right now so I'm on somewhat of a tight budget...

T

I built moine out of all discard stuff around my pool.... It just takes looking.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14082&forum=7

Any help just ask

T

The bamboo walls look pretty nice! I'd ditch the white plastic seating and go for a darker wood, or metal set. I'd paint the pole to the umbrella darker or get a wood one, and put a thatched umbrella covering over it. Put up some party lights the whole length of the 2 walls up near the top: Make yourself a 6 foot paper mache' tiki, paint it with durable house paint and call it a day.

Thank you both for your input....I've been lookin around outside....and I do have alot of material such as wood 2 by 4s, I was thinking I could make a roof over 1/2 of the deck or maybe over 1/3 of the deck and get some wild reed for thatch...,I can also get some more bamboo for just about nothing......and yes..... I do agree the white furniture is tacky and needs to be replaced....I see myself hitting the yard sales this weekend....

M

Princess, welcome to TC! The effort looks great for primer. For a roof thatch idea, I typically have the kids go around the neighborhood and gather palm frawns that are green. I split them at the stock end and pull them apart. I take the half frawns and drill them into a board making sure they are straight for drying. When I am ready to use them, I unscrew them and install them wherever they need to be. I would recommend getting some large planters with shade generating foliage as well. Just some inexpensive input. Keep us posted and again, welcome.

F

I have a couple of ideas ...

I like them both ...

Just a couple of quick photoshops.

hope i haven't offended any artists for using their work or wife, girlfriend or daughter to create these examples of how I see the world.

Hope these help.... or not.

S

Big Lots has some folding chairs that are actually pretty nice and very sturdy made out of all bamboo for 20 bucks. Little folding tables to go with them too. (this is in L.A. anyway)

Thank you McTiki ...:( but I don't have any palm frawns around here.......

Flacookz ....LOL's ...cute.....yes I would love to see those tikis out back and the other art work would look so cool out there....thanks for a future vision...WOW!
I bought a clear rope light yesterday and lined the middle of the rail and I'm working on some other props to step it up........

Spy-tiki thanks for the information on Big Lot ...I know we have one somewhere around here .....I'll have to check it out.....
I'll be posting updates as I go along....

Thanks again.... everyone!

Here's a place you can buy some really cool props cheap. (Like the Sailfish you need)

http://www.bensonsimport.com/

If you live in the cold, some potted plants like an Aussie Tree Fern and a few cannas make the place seem jungly, but can be moved in for winter if you live in the cold.

Wow I need to order from this site. BP, take your time, keep looking

Thank you for the link Gigantalope....I'll check it out later...

S

Ebay has thatch umbrellas all the time. You could easily throw one over yours and have a huge instant change.

Pages: 1 11 replies