Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The End of Cheap Brit-tiki?

Pages: 1 1 replies

I was just watching "Flog It" a UK TV show where members of the public bring in their antiques, get them valued and then put them up for auction.
On today’s episode a lady brings in a lovely Samon ceremonial War Paddle and its the surprise big sale of the day valued at £100-£150 but finally selling for £900. Good for the Lady selling but a DARK DAY for Brit-Tiki collectors who have been quietly taking ugly vases and souvenirs out of charity stores, the bloody presenter only goes and talks about "how collectible Polynesian things are" and "how the Americans will pay a lot of money for things like these".
I sat there in fear that the word "Tiki" might slip past his lips, it was worse than when I found the 2004 millers antique guide had the word "Tiki" in its index (luckily it corresponded with nothing we know as Tiki.
I fear its only a matter of time before one of the collector shows do a piece on "Tiki" and then were fucked, cheap Brit-Tiki will be no more.
Its started already on ebay.co.uk where there used to be only one page of Tiki things there is now four and just last month I saw a Butlin's beachcomber bar mug listed correctly as a Tiki mug.

This could be the reason for not finding anything 'in the field' for months! Finding Tiki was never easy in the UK at the best of times, but with the legions of 'buy it cheap and flog it on eBay' types out there keeping their gimlet eyes out for it, we're pretty much stuffed!

I heard there was some sort of TV show like the Antiques Roadshow but for collectors of 20th century stuff, and I've no doubt they touched on Tiki at some point, if only fleetingly. Also, there are undoubtably more collectors. A few years ago the only person I seemed to bump up against when bidding on Ebay was Tiki Chris, who was spending some time in the UK! Now I rarely bother as there are loads of collectors out there.

Ah well, I guess it makes picking up the odd item more exciting.

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 1 replies