Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

So Cal Earthquake, 6/12/05

Pages: 1 27 replies

H

Just felt an earthquake, checked the USGS website and it looks like it was around 5, and inland from here... everyone ok? Everyone's mugs ok?

H

Looks like it was around 5.6, and south of here, southwest of Palm Springs:

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/ci14151344.htm

Scared the hell out of me. I was watching Hawaiian Eye on TV Land when the house started shaking. No broken mugs, but I'll be buying more earthquake hold today.

H

I didn't feel it, but Krustiki did. He thought I was shaking his chair. All of our hanging lamps were swaying, especially the puffer fish lamp. Fortunately nothing fell off the shelves.

T

All cheap, non valuable mugs and Disneyland props are just fine....

On 2005-06-12 09:05, Humuhumu wrote:
Map with area reports of how strongly it was felt

I was driving. Felt nothing. A lot of people at the church (Hollywood) felt it.

M

The first thump felt like something fell in the house, so I went upstairs to see if anything did... that's when the roll started. It was a nice couple jolts, but (thankfully) nothing fell.

M

Who's a jumpy California transplant?

jk, h2

On 2005-06-13 23:20, martiki wrote:

jk, h2

Not exactly... I went through regular earthquakes in Seattle, including a biggie a few years ago... I barely felt this one.

On 2005-06-13 23:20, martiki wrote:

Certainly not I. My wife and I were knocking tectonics ourselves at the time. No stranger to the art of subduction, I had already set off a number of small tremors and foreshocks by focusing my energies on the epicenter of her ring of fire, when suddenly, my Blind Thrust Fault locked with her Benioff Zone, triggering a seismic moment that registered completely off the Richter Scale, resulting in the liquification of her molten core and my own personal tsunami. I don't mean to brag, but there were several moderate aftershocks of magnitude 5.0 or greater. If I had known about the earthquake, I would have asked her if I had made the Earth move for her, but unfortunately, neither one of us noticed it.

Sabu

Slept right through the whole thing.

DZ

Certainly not I. My wife and I were knocking tectonics ourselves at the time. No stranger to the art of subduction, I had already set off a number of small tremors and foreshocks by focusing my energies on the epicenter of her ring of fire, when suddenly, my Blind Thrust Fault locked with her Benioff Zone, triggering a seismic moment that registered completely off the Richter Scale, resulting in the liquification of her molten core and my own personal tsunami. I don't mean to brag, but there were several moderate aftershocks of magnitude 5.0 or greater. If I had known about the earthquake, I would have asked her if I had made the Earth move for her, but unfortunately, neither one of us noticed it.

Sabu

Hmmm... I wonder what Lucy Jones would have to say about that!

(FYI - Dr. Lucy Jones of USGS is So. Cals. 'go to gal' for instant earthquake info. She's all smart like that.)

O.K. I just felt that one!! 1:54 P.M., Thursday the 16th. I think it was out San Bernadino way - pretty good shake in Pasadena!!

first earthquakes, then tsunami warnings, then rain and snow in June, and my mother and I had flat tires on the same morning (two separate counties); and when I went to get my tire fixed I heard the song "Its the End of the World as We Know It" by REM playing in the fix it shop.

I'm inclined to hope it's not true, but I have not been presented with facts and statistics establishing otherwise...

On 2005-06-16 14:00, PapeToaTane wrote:
O.K. I just felt that one!! 1:54 P.M., Thursday the 16th. I think it was out San Bernadino way - pretty good shake in Pasadena!!

It must've been a good one, PTT, I felt it in SD. I'd check the Cal Tech & CNN sites for updates.

H

LOS ANGELES, June 16 (Reuters) - A moderate earthquake of magnitude 5.3 shook the Los Angeles area on Thursday afternoon at 1:53 p.m. PT (2053 GMT), according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake was centered around Yucaipa, California, 79 miles (126 km) east of Los Angeles.

"My apartment rattled and I had glass fall off a very heavy armoire," Riverside, California resident Raven Lopez Workman told a local television station. "My dogs went insane."

Buildings in downtown Los Angeles swayed during the quake, but there were no visible signs of damage, witnesses said.

The temblor was the third significant seismic event to occur in California this week, coming two days after a magnitude 7.2 earthquake off the coast of northern California that briefly triggered tsunami warnings and four days after a 5.2 quake shook the desert near Palm Springs. in southern California.

A 5.3 magnitude earthquake can cause considerable damage.

"The Tiki Farm shelves were swayin' in that old la la la way" oh yes we're goin' to a Hukilau!

I swear I felt one in NorCal the other morning, but the closest one was only a 2.1 in Daly City, we wouldn't have felt that in the East Bay.

hang on kiddies :)

Hurricane Schmurricane, I'll take earthquakes any day!

S

Wow! I'm out here in The 909 at work (Inland Empire) and we felt it pretty good! I was just heading back to the office after lunch and starting up my car when all of a sudden my car starts bouncing up and down and rocking from side to side! I thought something was wrong with my car until I realized what had happened! I still wasn't sure until I turned on the radio. My staff back at the office said we had visitors from out of state waiting in the lobby when the earthquake hit. They just sat there wide-eyed as if they had just seen the ghost of Trader Vic! Luckily, no damage here. We are about 30 miles west of the epicenter. I'm gonna need a few mai tais after that one to calm my nerves!!! Hopefully, I still have mugs to drink from!

Greetings from Earthquake Central.

Luckily I was not home when it happened, but as soon as I heard where the epicenter was, I told my boss I was leaving and sped home. I had visions of serious tiki mug catastrophy in my mind. When I got off the freeway I kept seeing fire trucks and emergency vehicles passing by.

Fortunately, the only things out of place were a couple of plastic mugs that fell off a shelf. It also knocked over a tube of Chapstick in my bathroom.:)

Whew.

T

On 2005-06-16 14:07, dangergirl299 wrote:
... I heard the song "Its the End of the World as We Know It" by REM playing in the fix it shop.

I'm inclined to hope it's not true, but I have not been presented with facts and statistics establishing otherwise...

There are many parts of the world as I know it that I wouldn't mind if they ended.

This one shook pretty good. I'm on the third floor of a medical building in Beverly Hills, and all the equipment was swaying and rattling. This was a good reminder that I need to get out the "earthquake putty" for all the breakable stuff at home.

I was flying into LA from Phoenix and a guy next to me who had spent a week there said to me, “ You know how everyone says that California will slide into the sea during a big earthquake? Well that cannot happen, because Arizona sucks!”

On 2005-06-16 14:40, smogbreather wrote:
"The Tiki Farm shelves were swayin' in that old la la la way" oh yes we're goin' to a Hukilau!

Have you strapped those yet like I said many moons ago??? You'll be sorry one of these days!!

Yet another earthquake off San Francisco?

(edited to corrct spelling mr. bong)

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2005-06-18 13:44 ]

B

Hope All you SoCal TC'rs are OK. I didn't feel a thing and neither did anyone else on my street!

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2012-05-01 20:28 ]

Pages: 1 27 replies