Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Hula Show in LA July 9th & 10th (Free)

Pages: 1 2 replies

Na Lei Hulu I Ka Wekiu
with Na Lei Hulu I Ka Wekieu

July 09 2005, 8:00 PM The hit of our 2001 and 2002 seasons, the Bay Area’s award winning Hula company led by the charismatic Patrick Makuakane, returns for two evenings of spectacular performances. This company has been hailed for its commitment to the traditions of Hawaii while creating a new look for Hula - Hula Mua. This distinctive new style builds on Hula’s traditional foundation but is danced to a full range of non-traditional music forms from Opera to techno. Sunday evening’s performance is honor of Japanese American Cultural & Community Center's 25th anniversary.

http://www.grandperformances.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/season_schedule.show_detail/s_id/83

Grand Performances summer series takes place on two stages at California Plaza the Watercourt stage and the Marina Pavilion. The larger of the two venues - the Watercourt stage - is a unique performance site that can hold as many as 70 performers and is partially surrounded by a system of gardens and water features.

This unique outdoor venue is the only one of its kind in Southern California. First-time evening attendees are often mesmerized by this extraordinary location - cradled between two high-rise towers, with water features (including the Watercourt) and the night time sky as a beautiful, natural canopy.

Thanks for the info, Chris.

The Watercourt in downtown LA is a fun place to see a show and that definitely sounds like a great one to see.
Directions to the venue can be found here:
Watercourt at California Plaza

(and on a side note, the July 22 show is Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey with Sukho Lee of Seksu Roba as one of the performers. Seksu Roba was one of the bands who played at Tiki Oasis IV.)

I can't make it July 9 because I will be celebrating my birthday at the Tiki Ti that night (stop by before and say 'Hi"!) https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15078&forum=4 but maybe I can make Sunday nights performance if I'm still in town---smiley

Pages: 1 2 replies