Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Insulting Heineken Ad

Pages: 1 22 replies

Last night as I was driving home from vacation I spotted a billboard ad I wish I hadn't seen. There was a Heineken Beer ad that showed a bottle of beer with this sentence posted over it: "No tiny umbrella's please." Well, guess who isn't buying Heineken for a while? This is an insult to every tropical drink lover everywhere. Anyone else seen this abomination? The billboard was seen southbound on I-95 in Jacksonville Fl just before the I-95, I-10 interchange.

[ Edited by: Trader Rick on 2005-06-19 11:58 ]

"HEINEKEN! F#ck that shit. Pabst Blue Ribbon"

-Frank Booth (Blue Velvet)

D

Well,come now-green meanies-ick.

On 2005-06-19 12:38, Shipwreckjoey wrote:

:) :) :)

"Ohhh--you're from the NEIGHBORHOOD. You're a neighbor! Well what's your name, neighbor?"

"Jeffrey.""Jeffrey what?"

"Jeffrey Nothing."

[ Edited by: procinema29 on 2005-06-19 21:54 ]

H

??????

Might I suggest a thread title change? Maybe something like:

"Insulting Heineken Ad or favorite Blue Velvet line"

LOL!!!

W

Putting a tiny umbrella in a Heineken would be an insult to the tiny umbrella.

F-you, get me a Bourbon!

Lousy Dutch crapola.

Try a Red Stripe. It's beer. Hooray beer!

[ Edited by: tikipedia on 2005-06-20 20:31 ]

On 2005-06-19 12:38, Shipwreckjoey wrote:

Cheers Ship! Brrrrrrrrp. And cheers to Frank too!

Damn, I have some of those beers in my fridge right now. I'm pouring them out!

Unga say......beer......good.

drink the beer and dump the container into recyling as fast as possible... repeat over and over until you forget this thread

TIKI backlash, it was invitable. Anything popular gets it eventually.

Dang, true Tiki must have very delicate sensibilities!

Perhaps the ad was making subtle reference to condoms and we can all relax.

Forget Heineken, drink Lucky Lager - it's cheap, plus you get a rebus!

I think I might have seen some other insulting reference to Tiki or Tiki Bars or whatever recently in a print ad. I was probably on my 3rd or 4th Suffering Bastard at the time, though, so I can't exactly remember where (or what) it was.

W

They've got those billboards in Texas. But for most people the reference to umbrellas is lost. It's a relic from days gone by. 99% of the population has no clue about Tiki culture or any renaissance of such. (imho)

I must admit I was a big Heineken drinker until a few months ago when my wife popped one open, and a thought the dogs farted. Their's nothing like a skunk to send you looking for a new fav.

T

I think it is a good thing.

I mean really...do you want everyone to be into the "Tiki Culture"...just because it is popular? Or would you rather those who appreciate it for what it is continue to appreciate it unfettered by the fickle trend followers?

Look what the popularity of "Television Bikers" has done to the motorcycle industry. Prices of Harley's have gone through the roof, making it cost prohibitive for the original bikers to own bikes.

I recently bought two sets of 8 PMP tiki mugs at a local antique store for around $20 per set. Of course it was a major score, but then, if it got too popular...would we ever be able to get these kinds of amazing deals again?

Let them keep their umbrella-less beers. As long as they think it is un-cool...we will reap the benefits.

[ Edited by: Tik_Nado on 2005-06-27 09:48 ]

S

Down here in the red necked south we have a saying..."If you got thin skin don't come in". Who cares what they think. I like Tiki and Heineken.

T

Tik Nado:I think it is a good thing.
I mean really...do you want everyone to be into the "Tiki Culture"...

Woofmutt: Putting a tiny umbrella in a Heineken would be an insult to the tiny umbrella

Agree, plus if you did have an unbrella in the bottle, how would you ever drink from it ?? A beer blocker :)

Pages: 1 22 replies