Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Polynesian Putter, St. Pete Beach, FL (other)

Pages: 1 7 replies

Name: Polynesian Putter
Type: other - Putt Putt Golf
Street: 4999 Gulf Blvd (& 50th Ave)
City: St. Pete Beach
State: FL
Zip: 33706-2411
Phone: 727 360 9678

Description:

Oooh, Moai!

Driving by this giant proved to be the most exciting part of it's discovery... He's the only tiki on premises, unless you count the psuedo-attempts of architecture and Florida's tropic surroundings.

If you're up for a game of old school putt-putt, stop by ($4- Adults were kids too). As you putt through the Moai's head remember this, "There is no Tiki". :wink:

By hole 18, I would have been happy with a volcano painted on the blank wall, and even a simple red light turning on for a cheesy emulation of activity.

(scored 2 under par- beat that)

AaarrrrrR-
-Capt'n Skully

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-06-19 13:49 ]

Damn that business card tiki is a spitting image of Kahona from Tiki Gardens!

Here is an update;

History by Put Plug Miniture Golf Review

"Founded in 1967, Polynesian Putter is a classic 18-hole course located in St. Pete Beach. The self proclaimed “Home of the Tiki” can be found attached to the friendly-staffed Sea Palms Hotel, where the massive monolithic deity confronts all that come to visit the tropical garden course. Just steps from St. Pete Beach, this is a perfect old-Florida vacation activity. Though we’re not certain of the provenance of these particular figures, the snake and moai statues are recurring themes in Lee Koplin’s Goofy Golf chain, the course that shaped American mini-golf from the 1950s until the 1970s..."

Also there is another similar Moai at Goofy Golf Panama in City Bch, FL

Put Plug Miniature Golf Review:

"At the center of course 1 stands a nearly 30-foot tall concrete moai, most likely a cousin to the one found at Polynesian Putter, that you not only putt through – you can also climb the spiral staircase to the top of its head, granting brave adventures a bird’s eye view of the property and surrounding area, including the now defunct Miracle Strip Amusement Park..."

I think these came from outer space and strategically settled in obscure places like Tuscon and St.Pete to observe our customs. How do I know? Zippy told me so:

Still there, lighting the night with electric eyes

Here are a few old Polaroids of the Moai from the Goofy Golf in action.

And a scorecard from the Polynesian Putter - Home of the Tiki! The image is borrowed from the nearby Tiki Gardens.

DC

Nice stuff, DC. Do you happen to have anything from the not too far away Porpoise Pub? Or the Captain's Galley in Madeira Beach -- no mention here on TC, but we've been trying to find out who painted the big wall murals in the restaurant and Shark's Head Lounge.

Pages: 1 7 replies