Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Skully's #2... Progress Update/Gallery (pg 3)

Pages: 1 37 replies

A couple of sketches-

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-07-27 00:55 ]

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-07-27 17:26 ]

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-09-09 15:10 ]

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jun 21, 2005 4:42 AM

Hey dude.

Cool pics. Not quite sure I get the topic "watching lacquer dry". Are you gonna commit em to wood?

F
foamy posted on Tue, Jun 21, 2005 5:03 AM

Hey Capt'n, is that top one a photoshop piece? The beveling makes for a nice effect there. I like it a lot. Unique and good looking tiki.

Yeah- the top one's Photoshop. I've got a whole illustration planned with the top guy (with him in front of a fire-hence the weird orangy glow), but I am also thinking of doing something similar for my next carving... That i can't get to until the lacquer on my current one finishes drying... :wink:

Until then, it's painfully like watching paint.

They both look good. Primitive, yet stylin'. Can't wait to see them in wood. (Yes folks, this is my 1000th post).

I think you were huffing the laquer too! mmmmm....lacquer

you should watch lacquer more often 'cause those drawings are awesome! I really like the first one

Aye, I was. I was drinking lots of lacquer and huffing liquor...

wait. that's not right...

One more coat to go.

B

Stay away from that lacquer man its addicting.
Your pic's look pretty cool, do you have More?? Bring out the stash!

Picture #2 needs to be carved... But I like 'em both. One coat left huh? Can't wait!

Aaron

Cool pics. Looking forward to seeing some carvings.

Had a long talk with my next log today- This is what the tiki inside replied...

"Koochi-KU"

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 17, 2005 9:53 PM

Cool sketch. Can't wait for it to be commited to wood

M

Nice inspirations! Keep em coming.

Skully, that will look great. Will it have a freehand look like the sketch?

T

there is something about that guy that looks familiar

HA! Is that Harry Potter? :D Good stuff...

Aaron- I'll prep it initially with (our style of) clean lines, but do want to have a little more "sketchy" quality to it... I'm thinking this one I may break the typically aligned front symmetry and have his head turned off a little to the left from his body.

Appreciate the comments! I know this is a hodge-podge thread...

H

You may call it hodge podge, but I like it.

Harry Potty and the half blood tiki?

Imagine the tiki bar they could have with all magic stuff.

Great sketches, Captain. I like the character to that Koochie KU...

Design update-
I'm letting the log dictate this carving- Sketched on the log with a sharpie then went to the computer and started commiting the lines...

Here's a quick 3D mapping (ala Aaron's Akua) test I thought I'd share as I balance out the features and proportions.

Aarrrgh!!
-Skully

The Lost Resort

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-07-26 00:14 ]

O

wow those stetches look good, that 3-D wrap thing look great too. How do you do that wrap, is there a specail program or something

Thanks Octane-

I use Cinema 4D which is a 3D modelling and animation program... One of these days I'll model a tiki in it.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jul 26, 2005 4:28 AM

All a bit too technical for me...

I just use a pencil and sketch stuff out, old school style...

Awesome work captain! Huzzah!

Can't wait to see this guy, Skully. Lookin good!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-07-26 11:26 ]

R

That is a great idea. That would help in keeping proportion, yes

Skully, that looks like a great way to work out the "stretch" factor before you plot out the template. I usually make a front view that looks the way I want it, then create a "block" in AutoCAD. Then I measure the circumference from where I want certain features to be on the log, and change the "X" dimension ratio on the AutoCAD block till it looks right. Then I do a test plot, cut it out & see if it came out okay. Sometimes I have to tweak the design on the computer a few times to get it right. Your 3D mapping looks like a great shortcut for this. If I had the software & knew how to use it, I'd probably use the same method.

Once I get a decent plot, I cut it in half, then use it as a template with the sharpie marker, do one side, then flip it over & do the other. I just keep cutting out the progressive outlines as I go, using a centerline on the log to keep it all straight as the lines get applied.

(In case you guys are thinking that's a bit technical, I'm responding to a PM from Skully here on his post...)

Hewey, sometimes I think it would be better just to sketch on the log to get a more "freehand" feel. I guess the CAD type programs are a good tool if you know the software and are really fast at it. I do drafting/design for a living, so it's hard to break away and go totally freehand. I guess any tool that helps is a good idea if it fits the artist. Drafting is just precise sketching, and CAD/computer programs are just another drafting tool. It all depends on your own style of drawing & carving. (Just thinking out loud there...) :)

A-A

I just had to jump in and tell you I really like your designs Skully. Very cool!

Thanks all- much appreciated!

Thanks for the detailed response AA! :) I used Freehand (like Illustrator) for the line work, created a tiff and added it as a material map to a cylinder. The cylinder is to approximate scale of the log. Then tweaked the features to their position and cleaned the remaining lines. I like having the 2D vector art versions to use for other stuff in the future...

MachTiki- Thanks!!

I put the large printout (tiled) together tonite, and added some shading to the 3D map- going to start carving this weekend.

A quick bevel effect in Photoshop adds enough detail of chiseled lines-

A few views to get the idea of each side-

Aarrrgh!!
-Skully

The Lost Resort

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-07-28 15:15 ]

H

Cool pics dude. Nice work, nicve way of finding out if a design will "work" in wood

Anyone could do one of these 3D "wrap tests" with out software but paper, even with a toilet roll- the design does take a certain mentality I guess, or just some getting used to...

Giant Toilet Paper Roll-

The first chips fly!

I don't think my dog is happy about sharing attention... :D

Sweet rendering! That simulated beveling and two-tone effect really give a good dea what it's going to look like, though I'm sure your cuts will be deeper in real wood. Great design, Skully!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 27, 2005 9:44 PM

Cool dude, you got the proportions pretty damn good! I'm guessing it would take a bit of experience to get the "stretch" right? makes it all the more impressive.

T

Man, like the six million dollar tiki. With technology we can build him. The tiki carvers of the old would have never thought of these days. You haven't even started and I can say, "it looks good".

it has the last "tiki crawl" tiki mug feel to him. Like a little woodland creator. I like that look. Maybe like a craving of what a tiki's pet might look like craved. :) You have may attention.

Progress Report-

Thanks everyone for your comments! This guy's comin' right along- I feel like he's not too far from finshed... I'm thinking about a turquoise blue stain, or I may just go dark grey and try to make him look all weathered.

Check out the progress gallery here!

Aarrrgh!!
-Skully

The Lost Resort

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2005-09-11 08:15 ]

M

DAMN Skully!!! Great work. You've got a real winner there.

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Sep 9, 2005 4:06 PM

that is turning out to be one of the best I've seen

That's right on the money, Skully. Beautiful. I think I like the little nose wrinkles the best. Like I said, the 3-D wrap works wonders, but it's gone so much deeper and stylized now that you've committed it to wood. This will be another "par for the course" dynamite Skully tiki, I'm sure.

Aaron

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Sep 9, 2005 9:41 PM

Cap,

That is high-tech man! Neat stuff. I imagine that will keep your carving balanced nicely and allow you to carve the left and right sides nearly identically. I work in a totally opposite way (no plan & very little thinking), but I think what you are doing here is wicked cool. I admire your planning efforts.

-G

Thanks Machtiki, TeaKey, AA and GMan! Those are huge compliments to me...

GMan- My methods (developed from techniques by A-A and BK primarily) are exactly for that- to maintain the symmetry as much as possible... I learned quickyl with my first tiki how powerful the pre-planning process can be- so you can focus on the details and not worry so much on the features themselves.. Otherwise I would have quit halfway thru the first one and never carved again. In a way I wish I could just draw some lines and have at it tho... BTW- Your chainsaw skills are strong!

Pages: 1 37 replies