Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Bamboo Tiki Lamp Idea

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

AloooHA,

On a recent trip to Hawai'i, I bought a couple of Tiki lamps in Kailua-Kona. These were by far my coolest find and they were a great price ($30 for the small and $40 for the large).

When I looked further at them, I saw that (obviously, besides the carving) there wasn't much too them and that this might be a project that someone here would want to tackle.

I took a few pictures so you can see how they are made. If anyone wants more pictures or information, please post here and I'll help you out the best that I can. With the talent that I have seen on TC, I'm sure we'll see some amazing designs.

Large lamp

Small lamp

The inside "screen" looks like it could be made from sushi mats- I like how the light looks through that-

Nice! :)

B

Hey MachTiki, I have seen lamps similar to that and have some ideas of my own. Your pictures are incredible and show ho to make every different phase of the lamp. Big thanks for sharing these beautiful lamps.

M

On 2005-06-21 09:10, Capt'n Skully wrote:
The inside "screen" looks like it could be made from sushi mats- I like how the light looks through that.

Capt'n,
I should take another picture of what the room/walls look like with the lamp on. The mat gives off a really cool slatted effect across the room. I want to experiment with different types of bulbs as well. Maybe a red one or one that flickers like a flame.

Ben,
Let me know if you need any more info. You're one of the people that could blow our minds with what you could do with this.

I like those alot. I wonder if you could do a larger carving for outdoors . Kinda supersize it. Hope someone decides to run with this.
Thanks for the great photos.

I bought one like this at Oasis. I don't remember the dealer, though, but I think they are TC members.

Great job Mach!
Looks vintage.

On 2005-06-21 12:40, Unga Bunga wrote:
Great job Mach!
Looks vintage.

Errr... thanks Unga, but (as much as I wish I had) I didn't make these.

Doh!
I only scanned the text.
By looking at the pics. I thought you were assembling instead of dissembling.
Well, save the comment for some future project. :)

Thanks Mack.

our very own "tiki bob" made some for his lucky tiki!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11975&forum=1

Theres also another person called bamboozled or something that sells bamboo tiki lights too.

Cool lights Mach! I've never seen one that is a table top - that one is COOL

Very cool lamp, thanks for sharing.

I think using a similar idea, but on a larger scale would be killer. I can image three cut-outs for a patio bar. Or one each on liquor cabinet door.

I'm still gathering ideas for my tiki bar/lounge.

T

I know this is an old thread, but I bought a few of these babies last Dec in Kailua Kona (probably the same store) and love em'

C

those lamps are incredible! congrats tikiyaki on your purchase!

Pages: 1 13 replies