Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Luau in Seattle changing owners (back)

Pages: 1 7 replies

This comes from the (rare-posting) Poi Polloi:

I don’t know if any of you have noticed, but the Luau has been closed for the past month or so, undergoing renovations on account of new management. This would ordinarily be cause for consternation, seeing a favorite haunt re-tooled, but word on the street (read: Nickerson Saloon insiders) indicate that the proprietors from 2-3 years ago have resumed ownership, and are tailoring it to their particular tastes. Here’s hoping (somewhat apprehensively) for a successful re-launch of the Luau!

I hope that's the case. If so, that's good news. I'll see what i can find out.

I checked out the building today, and according to a sign on the door, it indeed has been "repossessed" by the original owners. It looked like the fixtures were intact, and the joint was getting a new paint job. I assume it will reopen very soon. I'll keep an eye and an ear out for more news as things progress.

D

thanks for doing the recon on Luau.. will be nice to add it back to our list!

The Luau is now reopened. I wandered through today, and it looks mostly the same with the addition of some new art and a fresh coat of paint. The food and drink menu seemed pretty much the same too, and that's not a bad thing. At least we have another Seattle tiki-ish joint to patronize.

PP

Sweet! I was wondering what was taking them so long. Thanks for keeping up on this one, SL!

D

Shaggy's Chicken is still on the menu! mmmmm... lets go!

In celebration of International Tiki Day, Mr. Dogbytes and I went to Luau for dinner. There’s a fresh coat of paint, and new art on the walls (nicely framed album covers and stunning velvet Elvis). There’s wall to wall carpet in a groovy leopard print. Atop the bar are the cutest carved bamboo lamps (I don’t remember those from before). My favorite pieces of art by Dawn Fraizer are still on the walls in the back room, where we were seated.

The 2-page menu has a few familiar favorites ~ most noticeably, there were fewer appetizers. The prices are lower; the trade-off is that you order starches and vegetable side dishes to complete your meal. They’re still tweaking the menu, and the waitress says there’s going to be a one sheet with specials.

I had the special, 5 spice fried chicken with plum sauce. I got a half a chicken, served beautifully in a bamboo steamer on a banana leaf. It was fantastic. Mr. Dogbytes had the pulled pork sandwich, which came with a small side of shrimp macaroni salad. The chipolte mayo and melted cheese and crunchy roll were perfect. The mac salad wasn’t ‘Hawaiian style’ it was more like tri color spiral pasta salad with shrimp. We shared a side of steamed baby bok choy, crisp and fresh, with s little soy and ginger shreds.

I noticed they’re serving drinks in coconut cups. We didn’t order drinks, because we planned on drinking all of Monkeyskull’s free booze later that night. The diet cokes we ordered were garnished with a cherry speared through an umbrella. Nice touch.

We were offered desserts ~ most were made at the Hiroki Bakery (across the street). We opted for the Bananas Foster when we were assured it would be served en flambé` at the table. Very tasty! Very Fire-y!

Our waitress was nice enough, but didnt check back often. leaving us in a warm room, with no diet coke refills! The food took a while to get to us too. i'm sure they're just shaking out the bugs over the last 2 weeks. the odd thing was, as she set down the food, she asks "do you need salt" ~ which we coudnt know before tasting.. we did need salt for the mac salad, so she returned with shakers.

Glad the Luau finally reopened, with the original owners. There's a great vibe about the place!

elicia

Pages: 1 7 replies