Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Anybody know where to get '50s motel chair repros?

Pages: 1 6 replies

I have seen them called "Motel Chairs" and "Lawn Chairs", but they are the steel kind with the tube steel base?

On some of them the backs were shaped like clam shells.

5 or 6 years ago they were at places like crate and barrel...but no longer. While they are not actually Tiki, they do have a certain panache that stackable plactic chairs lack.

Any tips would be appreciated.

i was admiring those same chairs at Sparklegem's ~ they're still available at Restoration Hardware walton lane chair by mail order only though..

J

You could always go the vintage route...

http://magazines.ivillage.com/countryliving/collect/icons/articles/0,,284645_293987-2,00.html

...Here’s a little blurb about motel chairs which has a listing of some vintage dealers with 2 located in California. I bought a couple vintage motel chairs from an old lady who was sitting on a barn full for next to nothing. After a lengthy "frame-up" restoration involving a lot of sandblasting, primering and repainting they turned out good as new... on second thought...unless you appreciate the weathered patina on vintage motel chairs or feel like working your ass off I'd probably go with the reproductions. :wink:

You know what sucks though, 2 years ago you could have bought all the repro motel chairs you could ever ask for at Target, Walmart, Home Depot etc. But, as you've probably noticed they're a little harder to locate now. I bought 2 reproduction chairs at an Ames store that was going out of business and I paid $9.99 for 'em! Ah, the good ol' days!

The one's from Restoration are pretty cool, and to my surprize less pricy than the one's that Stuff-O-Rama found.

I once got some originals, and started to tidy them up, and while they were cool, a few of the rust spots were really bad and in places I couldn't fix...I patched with fiberglass, but it really looked like hell.

It really surprizes me how expencive they are.

Speaking of that...remember when grocery stores sold thick slab redwood patio furniture for nothin' Wow, those days are gone too.

I must confess tho, I'm glad those aluminum framed folding chairs with the wolven plastic ribbon are gone...I hates those.

On 2005-06-21 23:59, dogbytes wrote:
i was admiring those same chairs at Sparklegem's ~ they're still available at Restoration Hardware walton lane chair by mail order only though..

Is it me, or do the patterns on these look sorta Christmas-y?

S
sumu posted on Thu, Jun 23, 2005 10:17 PM

I bought some at Target a couple of years ago - I know that info isn't helpful to you NOW. They came in yellow, light green and blue, for about 25.00, although I bought mine on sale for less than half that. They've held up very well.

Pages: 1 6 replies