Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Collins Kids on DVD/VHS????

Pages: 1 5 replies

Anyone out there have the Collins Kids on DVD or VHS that they would be willing to trade?? Maybe for some Korla Pandit on DVD????

My friend's dad is Larry Collins. I asked her if any DVDs were available and she told me you can get them from Bear Family Records out of Germany

Bear Family Records

It looks as though they're a bit pricey. I wish I had a copy of them to share, but in case no one antes up you have this option...

My sincerest thanks to you. Recently caught a documentary called "Women in Rock-A-Billy", or something like that, that had clips of the Collins Kids, as well as the Great Wanda Jackson, among others. I just can't get over little Larry. He's like some kind of hyper-prodigal flea, and plays the coolest off-brand 50's guitars I've ever seen.

Bear Family stuff is a little expensive but they are of the highest quality and well worth the money.

Yeah, Bear Family does an excellent job on their packaging and quality of sound.

That documentary is called "Welcome to the Club" it also has some amazing footage of Janice Martin. Filmed at Viva Las Vegas before it was the hipster place to be seen and people actually attended to watch the bands play. Lary Collins still plays like he did when he was 13, but even faster and more techinical. Knocks you sideways just watching him. He played a couple of songs with Lorrie at his daughters wedding (as per her request). She made sure he brought his double neck guitar. At first, he didn't want to do it, but the Cadillac Angels who played at the wedding taunted him up on stage. It was such an amazing scene. Hs daughter was in tears by the end of it she was so happy.

I was told they were going to put this on DVD but although the documentary group was able to license the music for the film, they are being gouged for DVD rights and can't foot the bill for the DVD release. Really too bad. It's the music publishing companies, not the artists that are getting in the way. Tony Balbinot of the Cadillac Angels got Wanda Jackson to come out of retirement. He used his band as her back up band and they still tour with her in the US. She has session guys play for her when she plays overseas. She's a wild woman at heart still. Tony told me the funniest story about Wanda and Buck Owens when they played the Crystal Palace. I guess back in the day Wanda & Buck had "a thing" and after a couple of cocktails they started reminiscing aloud. He said although it was cool to hear the story, it was also like hearing your grandparents talk about their sex life...

My fiance's grandfather was the former mayor of Bakersfield and a good friend of Buck Owens.

When we went down to clean out the house after her grandfather and grandmother passed away. I was given a Buck Owen's American Guitar (the red/white/blue one). It has a personalize plaque on it from Buck. I would be happy to take a picture if you want to see it.

Pages: 1 5 replies