Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Greetings & Carvings from Hypnotiki

Pages: 1 7 replies

Hello folks- I'm Jay Brooks and I haven't put up a post since clouseaux's "lagoon!" release last summer but I think I'm ready to come out of my shell. I've been carving for a little over a year now and I've finally mustered up the cojones to post a few pics. I'd like your feedback if you'd be willing to share. Please let me add that as far as the hypnotiki name is concerned, it has absolutely nothing to do with Sam's piece of the same title. It's random coincidence having chosen the same name but we've spoken about it and all is kosher. Here we go...

here's a 2foot oak piece it has a chamber in the back which houses an incense cone and when burned, the smoke comes out of the mouth:

smaller designs (about 6-9inches tall):

Hypnotiki Idols & Charms

[ Edited by: hypnotiki on 2005-06-22 09:07 ]

Nice work hypnotiki. Those smaller ones look much larger than 6-9 inches. Thanks for posting too.

http://www.samgambino.com

M
maja posted on Wed, Jun 22, 2005 9:55 AM

i think that your work is owesome... and i rely like that 'smoky' ideja

Maja

Nice work. those camera angles make those guys look huge. Cant wait to see some more.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 22, 2005 7:35 PM

like the second and third ones - very cool. Love the idea of the smoking tiki too - like it much I do. Can't wait to see some more pics

Thanks for the input... here are some more:

This is a 6 footer, cedar, done with mallet and chisel. It's a little rough but that's the way it goes with out electricity...

9 inch moai:

6 inch design:

Hypnotiki Idols & Charms

[ Edited by: hypnotiki on 2005-06-24 10:23 ]

I like those, Hypnotiki.

That incense-cone tiki in your first post - I'd love to see him carved LARGE. He's unique and for some reason harkens back to the vintage tikis of the Sixties. Can't put my finger on it, just feels like he's vintage. I can picture stumbling upon him in an old apartment building or restaurant. Really cool design.

Sabu

B

Those Do look great Hypno, Trick photography indeed akes them all look larger. I Love your Signature grafic also, COOL.

Pages: 1 7 replies