Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The story on these swizzles...

Pages: 1 8 replies

RD

Very new here and dreadfully afraid to tread on a well-worn path, but I'm positive the quick and easy answer lies within the TC collective.

In my swizzle collection are a number of these:

I did a search on swizzles here on the forums and didn't find any other pictures of them. There are no markings on the back of any of them. My friend Joe says it's some kind of war club.

They came from an estate sale here in Portland, OR. Thanks and/or sorry in advance.

RD

A-hah!

Should have known, due to the number I have that they would be related to Trader Vic's.

A google search pointed me right back to the forums here and some nice carvings of Fijian Sali clubs by Basement Kahuna. Nice work, BK!

Guess I'll shut up and keep reading...

Hey Rum Demon,

Would you believe I bought one of those just this weekend in Seguin, TX, along with one from the Mauna Loa (don't know which Mauna Loa yet - haven't started the research).

And funny enough, I bought the swizzle you named, without a name on it, simply because it looked just like the war clubs of Basement Kahuna, which I had held in my admiring hands). Kinda funny that a copy of a native carving helped me recognize a swizzle stick, which was modeled after a real native carving, huh!

RD

Formikahini,
Nice work. I didn't know what to make when I found my first. But something told me it was a tiki artifact.
I'm curious as to how common these things are. My friend was very excited when I found the first example, then I scored ten more at an estate sale. Now that I learn they come from Trader Vic's, I'm surprised to not have come across more. Even more surprised that they don't have the TV logo on them.

On 2005-06-22 16:39, Formikahini wrote:

along with one from the Mauna Loa (don't know which Mauna Loa yet

Can you post a pic? Enquiring Mauna Loa-Heads wanna know!

-Z

TB

I found one of the green clubs at a flea market in Long Beach. I showed the swizzle to several TC friends who pointed me to BKs pic of the war club he made. Thanks for the additional info.

TBird.

On 2005-06-23 06:15, Feelin' Zombified wrote:

*On 2005-06-22 16:39, Formikahini wrote:
*along with one from the Mauna Loa (don't know which Mauna Loa yet

Can you post a pic? Enquiring Mauna Loa-Heads wanna know!
-Z
Sorry, FZ, I'm still a luddite, having only just recently acquired a digital camera that I haven't taken the time to learn how to use, nor have I ever learned how to post fotos! but SOMEday!!!

It's got a 2" vaguely Marquesan-y but skinny man on it, bald and with sort of bow-legs. His mouth is a sideways oval, and his eyes are perfect circles.

That's from the Mauna Loa in Mexico City, the Tiki stands in front of the hut on the menu cover.

YAAAY!!
Thanks, Big Bro, that made my day!!!!!
(Anything Mexican and tiki, just as anything Central or South American and Tiki, holds a special place in my Spanish teaching heart (hence my special fondness for all things Kon Tiki).)

Pages: 1 8 replies