Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

10 Cane Rum

Pages: 1 34 replies

M

Anyone try this one yet?

Looks like a new product- made in Trinidad and sold by the Moet Hennessy people.

BevMo just got it in and it's retailing at $33.99. Looks quite nice.

They have a strange website at http://www.10cane.com

I'd like to get some feedback before I plunk down that much.

Anyone?

On 2005-06-23 13:23, martiki wrote:
BevMo just got it in and it's retailing at $33.99. Looks quite nice.

I'd like to get some feedback before I plunk down that much.

How much is it with your employee discount? :wink:

T

Yes, pick me up a bottle with your employee discount and I will drink it and report on it.

M

That's enough from the peanut gallery.

RB

Picked up a mini of this a week ago, and here's my review, for what it's worth.

Very smooth, but the taste was too "plain" for me. I guess I expected a little bit of complexity to it. At $30 a fifth here in Oregon, I wasn't impressed enough to put it on my "must buy" list. The mini cost $3.25...a little steep for a mini, but worth it if you want to try it without shelling out for a full bottle.

I'm not a rum connosieur, at least by TC standards, yet, but I tried it and it was quite fine. It mixed nicely and went down easily. I remember making great mojitos with it. It was rated no. 1 in a NY times article I mentioned in a post last year:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16034&forum=10

I

Last weekend, I was in a Maryland liquor store, and I saw that they had 10 Cane rum on sale - about $12/bottle cheaper than I previously paid for it.

So I decided to stock up, and bought the 4 bottles on the shelf. I also bought 4 other bottles of assorted liquor. When I went to the counter to checkout, I placed all 8 bottles on the counter, said 'You had one of my favorite rums on sale - I had to stock up", and absentmindedly signed the credit card slip when it was placed in front of me.

When I got home, I took a closer look at my receipt. It turned out that they had never charged me for the 4 bottles of 10 Cane.

I felt as I had just won the rum lottery.

Vern

I like 10 Cane quite a bit. The fact that it's made from virgin cane gives it a unique, kind of earthy flavor that's somewhere between Cachaça and white rum. In fact, I often use it to replace about 1/2 the Cachaça in my Caipirinhas.

K
Kono posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 5:56 PM

I dig the 10 Cane quite a bit. An oz of 10 Cane and an oz of Rhum Clement makes for a damn tasty Menehune Juice. Now I've just gotta get a bottle of that Senior's Curacao that all the kids in California are going crazy about.

B

I agree, it is a very tasty rum and is great for mixing; however, the price down in Texas ($35) is what I us1ually spend on si+pping rum.

T

I tried it straight at the Kona Club last night and I really didn't like the sweetness, but I particularly didn't like the aftertaste. I don't get the hype. Try Orinoco instead if you want to try a new tasty light rum. Just my 2 cents, I don't mean to "jab" anyone.

I

One of the best things about 10 Cane is the way it smells. Pull the cork top off, and it smells wonderful.

I've tried 10 Cane straight up too, but I didn't care for it this way. But when I mixed it as part of my standard mai-tai recipe, it did add a whole new flavor, which I greatly enjoyed.

I'm also a sucker for the bottle design.

Vern

K

On 2006-03-31 17:56, Kono wrote:
Now I've just gotta get a bottle of that Senior's Curacao that all the kids in California are going crazy about.

I stumbled upon their website about two years ago and thought it interesting. Then I was at Sam's in Chicago and they had it in stock. I should have bought some, but at the time my money was going toward Lemon Hart and John Taylor Falernum.

They still have it online: http://www.samswine.com/Products/Product.aspx?SKU=10030067

Ahu

K

On 2006-03-30 22:51, MrBaliHai wrote:
I like 10 Cane quite a bit. The fact that it's made from virgin cane gives it a unique, kind of earthy flavor that's somewhere between Cachaça and white rum. In fact, I often use it to replace about 1/2 the Cachaça in my Caipirinhas.

Which Cachaca do you use in your caipirinha?

Ahu

M

Which Cachaca do you use in your caipirinha?

I've been using Ypióca.

10 Cane and Adidas sponsored a Los Angeles business soccer "tournament" last weekend. Many hip non-profs and businesses participated, like KCRW the local NPR station, collector sneaker shops, mid-century boutique hotels and youth-oriented production companies. 10 Cane had an open bar throughout the whole event, serving two drinks: Mojito's or Dark n' Stormy's. Having free booze was nice although it seemed to contradict the efforts of a sportman's pursuit, but I couldn't help but cock my head a little at the recipes.

10 cane Mojito:

1/8th slice of lime, virtually non-existent
mint, muddle both
seemingly endless, unmeasured pour of sugar syrup
unmeasured pour of 10 Cane
Canada Dry ginger ale

before the bartender began, he asked me "traditional Mojito or new style."
I asked for a traditional, then after watching him pour this little concoction I looked around for the guy who might've ordered the "new style."
Nope, this baby was for me, in all its traditional glory.

It tasted like sweetened ginger ale. They were also doing a strawberry version.

Then, I watched him mix a dark n' stormy (i'm not even sure they were calling it that), which I tried not to pay attention to. They were using Jamaican Ginger beer which was good to see but then there was no dark jamaican rum, only ten cane, and some fresh ginger? I stopped watching, turned my attention to the soccer game, and didn't order another drink. Sometimes I wonder why bartending and recipe finding is like a rocket science that even a rum company can't figure out? I was amazed. all that sugar syrup in a rum that is supposed to be super-premium. "Yeah, other rums use molasses, we don't do that" one rep told me. Super! Where's the oversized bottle of corn syrup again?

I've just recently been introduced to 10 Cane, and I have to say, it's by far the smoothest rum I've ever had. I attended the adidas Event, and the 10 Cane Mojitos were excellent in my opinion...I especially liked the strawberry one.

S

I've always considered the Ten Cane to be overpriced for what you get. Normally in Massachusetts and New Hampshire it's about $33-$36, and it's just not worth that much IMHO. I've been looking for a nip so that I could taste it again and review it, but haven't been able to find one.

But last week I stumbled into a liquor store in Boston and snagged a bottle for $19. Now that price makes Ten Cane worthwhile.

M

Moet Hennessey: Heap Big Marketing Budget!

Traditionally my drink of choice for summer is a cool refreshing mojito. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a top-shelf rum. I recently tried 10 Cane Rum at the AdiCup soccer tournament in Santa Monica, CA. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the rum tasted in both the regular mojitos and the strawberry mojitos.. My search for the perfect rum is over!!

10 CANE fifth closeout priced at the Frys here in AZ...15.74

yeah the bottle design (squarish? niiice) sucked me in--kinda early today to do a tasting but based on these reports looks like a decent deal was had

On 2007-07-21 12:24, Registered Astronaut wrote:...Sometimes I wonder why bartending and recipe finding is like a rocket science that even a rum company can't figure out?...

I am not a big fan of 10 Cane, it is much more marketing than product in my opinion.

But, it is a nice rum, and in Henessey's defense... They may have had 'good' recipes to work from but that doesn't mean those recipes actually made it all the way down the line to the actual bartenders. Maybe the guy making yours was the sub, or maybe he didn't bother to actuall read the recipe provided, or maybe a bunch of other things......

For those of you finding a deal on it (less than $25 a bottle) you should get some. I have the luxury of having the minis available in my area so I can play with it without having a whole bottle sit on my shelf taking valuable space from something I like better.

I love the stuff, particularly in Daquiris and modified Caipirinhas. The local wine/cigar shoppe has the minis on sale, so I picked up a couple of bottles this afternoon.

S

On 2007-07-28 16:25, Chip and Andy wrote:
I am not a big fan of 10 Cane, it is much more marketing than product in my opinion...

But, it is a nice rum...

For those of you finding a deal on it (less than $25 a bottle) you should get some...

I heartily agree on all points. It is not a bad rum - it is very good, just seriously overpriced. $25 a bottle is closer to value. As I mentioned earlier, I managed a bottle for $19 and that is in the bargain category for any rum this good. But $37? No thanks.

I'm a big fan of Ten Cane Rum. It's not as good as Bacardi Silver, but it's quite good in its own right.

On 2007-08-11 12:30, Orphananas wrote:
I'm a big fan of Ten Cane Rum. It's not as good as Bacardi Silver, but it's quite good in its own right.

???
If it's not even as good as Bacardi Silver it must be truly awful.

Once I did a backyard project that took several days and I drank can after can of Mountain Dew. One time I accidentally picked up a can that I had left out in the hot sun for a couple of days. It was flat, boiling hot, and full of ants.
That can of soda tasted better than Bacardi Silver.

It is a very nice and tasty rum...

Kevin
http://allendonald.wordpress.com/2007/05/05/hello-world/

I placed an order for gouged bassoon cane from Tony at allbassooncane.com in mid April. At the end of May, I sent him several emails to check the status of the order, but he never responded to my messages. He also did not respond to the voice mail I left on his phone. Has anyone else had trouble either receiving an order from Tony or contacting him in the past couple of months?

Thanks,
Jessica Steven

I have been trying many rums lately and 10 cane is just not good straight up for me. As others have said in a mojito great!

amy

First and only post from kontrhovercie:

On 2007-07-23 14:24, kontrhovercie wrote:
I've just recently been introduced to 10 Cane, and I have to say, it's by far the smoothest rum I've ever had. I attended the adidas Event, and the 10 Cane Mojitos were excellent in my opinion...I especially liked the strawberry one.

First and only post from twocent$:

On 2007-07-25 22:01, twocent$ wrote:
Traditionally my drink of choice for summer is a cool refreshing mojito. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a top-shelf rum. I recently tried 10 Cane Rum at the AdiCup soccer tournament in Santa Monica, CA. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the rum tasted in both the regular mojitos and the strawberry mojitos.. My search for the perfect rum is over!!

F*KN' SHILLS!

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2009-05-14 13:52 ]

P

No, not shills. Impromptu posters fer sher, like those dancers in the train stations in Europe that all join in for the sheer joy of dance to the sudden blaring R&B through the PA system.

That's all.

P.S. - I give 10 cane a 4.

H

On 2009-05-14 13:08, pablus wrote:

No, not shills. Impromptu posters fer sher, like those dancers in the train stations in Europe that all join in for the sheer joy of dance to the sudden blaring R&B through the PA system.

That's all.

P.S. - I give 10 cane a 4.

Those were first and only posts. Never to be heard from again.
Shills I say, Shills!

I'm quite amused at the way people are getting their grass skirts in a bunch over this stuff. As Scottes says, it's certainly overpriced, but other than that, I'm at a loss to explain why so many people seem to feel such an overwhelming need to crap on it. Is somebody prying their mouths open and forcing them to drink it?

H

On 2009-05-14 14:00, MrBaliHai wrote:
I'm quite amused at the way people are getting their grass skirts in a bunch over this stuff. As Scottes says, it's certainly overpriced, but other than that, I'm at a loss to explain why so many people seem to feel such an overwhelming need to crap on it. Is somebody prying their mouths open and forcing them to drink it?

It looks like all of the reviews are pretty fair. Some people like it, some people don't. Who are the ones that are crapping on it?

The only questionable review is this one:

On 2007-08-11 12:30, Orphananas wrote:

I don't see how you can call that review questionable. Orphananas is a big fan of a less than mediocre rum that is way more expensive yet not as good as a common cheap rot gut rum.

Oh, wait. I see your point. It is questionable, the questions being:

Is there only one liquor store in town?

Does it only carry those two rums?

Pages: 1 34 replies