Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Vibes - Favorite Song

Pages: 1 3 replies

Hi there everyone,

I'd be curious to see what everyone considers their favorite song featuring the vibraphone. I guess I'd have to say mine is " Sweet Leilani " off the Hawaiian Sunset album by Arthur Lyman

I can't say what my favorite vibes song is, since I love the instrument so much, but my favorite vibes player is Cal Tjader. Here's a brief biography for those of you who are unfamiliar with him.

http://www.spaceagepop.com/tjader.htm

Besides Arthur Lyman and Mr. Tjader I also love the vibes stylings of Milt Jackson, and of course Brian from Fisherman.

[ Edited by: Selector Lopaka on 2005-06-23 17:25 ]

You are quite right. To actually pick one is difficult. In fact, Lionel Hampton comes to mind(I know,I'm straying a tad from the exotica realm) But you defintely can't leave him out no matter what era.

K

I don't know about a particular song...but my favorite vibes LP is kind of a rare Arthur Lyman LP called "Island Vibes" put out by Broad Records in Hawaii in 1980. It's solo Lyman..no backup at all..with ocean waves throughout playing "Shells","Hana-Maui","Whispeing Reef", etc. Very nice.

I also like all the instrumentals of steel & vibes put out by 49th state Hawaii records featuring "Benjamin Rogers & The Harmony Isles Group"..those vibes intros on EVERY song are great.

Pages: 1 3 replies