Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

John Doe

Pages: 1 16 replies

S

Living Legend John Doe of former pioneering LA punk band "X" is on tour right now with Lucinda Williams.

He took a night off and spent it in the tiny town of Yachats Oregon which is seven miles south of us.

We had the pleasure of seeing John and his travelling back up band Luka perform in a tiny auditorium with about 150 other lucky people last night(that's about 1/4 of the population of Yachats!).

The show was beyond great. More like riveting. He took requests, he made jokes, and even threatened to go punk rock on some idiot who kept requesting the same song. The highlights for me were "White Girl" and "Wrecking Ball", but his new stuff was really great too.

After the show he stood at the back of the hall and signed autographs, shook hands, and hung out with the locals. Turns out he's a cool guy as well as a legend.

My wife bought his T shirt.
It reads "John F*cking Doe".

H

That sounds like a great bill. Two Thanksgivings ago, I went to the Casbah in San Diego to see John Doe with thejab & his friend Ed (a.k.a. Christ on a Crutch). I enjoyed that show a lot, but I bet it was much more fun getting to see him in a smaller town. Plus, I love Lucinda Williams.

The Knitters(w/Dave Alvin of The Blasters), all the way. Best f*cking album in the world. Check out "The Decline of the Western Civilization", or "The Unheard Music" films for some great early footage of X.

[ Edited by: SwampCreature on 2005-06-25 00:04 ]

Tiki-bot and I saw the Knitters with Dave Alvin a few years ago, Exene was hanging off the mic stand, slurring, classic Exene!
I was lucky enough to see John Doe and Neko Case play an acoustic set a few years ago, and there was a drunk calling for X songs, and John was 'engaging' him in debate :wink:
What a great show! The funniest part was when some yahoo on a cell phone, right up front was YELLING into in his phone how awesome the show was, (IT WAS ACOUSTIC!) and John stopped playing, the whole place got quiet, except for yahoo, and John told him to leave, then called the bouncers over, and asked them to show him the door. The place went nuts! I love him!

X with the Plimsouls in Costa Mesa looks pretty cool. They are suppose to play UCLA (one on their old stomping grounds) in the next months to come.
Schedule

T

On 2005-06-25 10:27, Unga Bunga wrote:
X with the Plimsouls in Costa Mesa looks pretty cool. They are suppose to play UCLA (one on their old stomping grounds) in the next months to come.
Schedule

The Plimsouls are back! I'm going to see them in SF on July 17th. The Costa Mesa show sounds like a goodie.

On 2005-06-24 21:06, seamus wrote:
He took a night off and spent it in the tiny town of Yachats Oregon which is seven miles south of us.

And you wanted to move!

M

"The Plimsouls are back! I'm going to see them in SF on July 17th"

Thanks Jab. Info is much appreciated.

Uh oh, the band of my yute: the Plimosuls! I am there, haven't seen them since '95. Back then Clem Burke was on drums, pretty good show.

The Knitters? Back in '83 Johnny beat me out for for our high school's "most creative". I have boycotted him since! So long ago, so many...uh...so many. Memories? I think that's the word, cannot remember.

midnite

I saw him a couple of weeks ago at King King. He was great, of course. I wish I had seen that t-shirt. I'd have it now.

I should add that King King is in Hollywood. Anyway, speaking of Kings, DJ Bonebrake was in King Kukulele's Friki Tikis playing vibes for a night at the first Tiki Farm Big Ol' Tiki Bash at their San Clemente headquarters a couple of years ago. Remember that, kids?

DJ Bonebrake played vibes for Ann Magnuson's band (post bongwater) a few years back. His scene where he plays the tv theme songs in the Unheard Music is one of my favorites!
mrs. p

Puamana and I saw John Doe open for Lucinda on Friday in Seattle. Lucinda mentioned that she and John were learning some songs to perform together, but that John had to fly off somewhere after his set. She said one of the songs she was learning was "White Girl". She also said that John Doe's new record was one of the best things she's heard in a long time, and that she was a little embarassed that he was opening for her, because "c'mon, he's John f___in' Doe". John did an exactly 45 minute set to a mostly clueless audience who were still getting settled in their seats. It was a solid set nonetheless. The only songs I recognized were "4th Of July", and a cover of "Money (That's What I Want)". He also threw in a bar of the Beatles' "Revolution" within another song. Lucinda was amazing as always. She started off real quiet, and built up the sound until it was fully rocking in vein that was very reminicent of Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Unfortunately the set was cut short due to the 11:00 curfew. She said she played a 3+ hour set at the Crystal Ballroom in Portland on Wed. 6/22. Did anyone catch that show?

[ Edited by: Selector Lopaka on 2005-06-25 22:40 ]

On 2005-06-24 21:58, Humuhumu wrote:
That sounds like a great bill. Two Thanksgivings ago, I went to the Casbah in San Diego to see John Doe with thejab & his friend Ed (a.k.a. Christ on a Crutch).

Hey Humu, I remember that night. We showed up at Bong's room at the Half Moon about a 1/2 hour before you guys split for the Casbah. We totally missed the Bali Hai festivities and were lucky to get down to Shelter Island at all that night as I recall.

On 2005-06-24 23:59, SwampCreature wrote:
The Knitters(w/Dave Alvin of The Blasters), all the way. Best f*cking album in the world. Check out "The Decline of the Western Civilization", or "The Unheard Music" films for some great early footage of X.

[ Edited by: SwampCreature on 2005-06-25 00:04 ]

I'd just like to point out to those that have forgotten or didn't know: X was the brain child of Billy Zoom, he formed it with his friend John Doe, they added DJ Bonebreak 'cause Billy liked his using a Parade Snare, and Excene was John's Girlfriend (they liked her writing & came to like how she sang with John).

In Decline..., when they're at John & Excene's place & Billy's sitting on the couch, the band had just finished 2 sets at the Whiskey, it was after 5 in the morning, and that couch was Billy's "bedroom." He had to wait for filming to finish before getting to bed!

Y
yeproc posted on Mon, Jul 3, 2006 8:58 AM

hey folks, you can order john doe's For The Best Of Us here: http://www.yeproc.com/store.php?page=viewItem&itemNum=CD-YEP-2127

it's a re-release of the EP For the Rest Of Us plus five unreleased tracks!

Y

John Doe has a new album out called A Year In the Wilderness! Guest stars appearing on the album include Dave Alvin, Jill Sobule, Kathleen Edwards, Dan Auerbach (from The Black Keys), Greg Leisz and Aimee Mann. Listen to the first single “The Golden State”.

You can also download 3 bonus tracks when you pre-order the album from Yep Roc Records: a demo version of "Unforgiven," an acoustic version of "The Golden State," and a cover of Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You!"

Any one going to see John Doe, Mike Stintson and Sin City All Stars with Michele Williams, etc. at the Togana Days County Fair on Sun. 5/27? Stintson goes on at 2 and Doe at 3. Tickets aren't much. I'm thinking about going.

http://www.topangacommunityclub.org/topdays07/mountstage.htm

Pages: 1 16 replies