Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The coolest new TIKI song ever!

Pages: 1 18 replies

K-T

Hey fellow TIKI fans - I thought you all might like to get hip to the coolest new TIKI song going. The song is called The Desert Luau and it is on the new David Ball CD called "Freewheeler". David is best known for his hits " Thinkin' Problem" and "Riding With Private Malone" - which were country music hits - but he captures true TIKI style as envisioned by urban archaeologist Sven Kartsten. The hybrid is something I call KUN-TIKI - country / polynesian! The song was written by Danny Baker better known as Unkown Hinson.
I highly recommend it!

Happy listening -

TIKI Chris
" There'll be good music and good chow -
At the Desert Luau "

Hmmmmmmmmm...

I'm a Huge fan of David Ball (and, moreso, the band he started out with - Uncle Walt's Band) and a Trememdous Fan of Unknown Hinson. I gotta say, though, that while calling Desert Luau the "Coolest Tiki Song" mignt be a stretch, the "New" part puts it into a pretty good perspective. Perhaps "Coolest New Tiki Novelty Song" would be more like it as it is a Very Cool Country/Tiki Novelty number (how much Country music do you want playing at your luau to begin with?). Unknown's original version appears on his "The Future is Unknown..." CD (1999 Uniphone URCD-0001) which is probably pretty much impossible to find nowdays. If you find it, though... BUY IT IMMEDIATELY!

Regardless of Desert Luau's relevance in terms of Tiki Importance, I'd say that these are both artists that should be checked into by any and all fans of modern American popular music.

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic on 2005-06-25 00:03 ]

On 2005-06-24 21:27, KUN - TIKI wrote:
Happy listening -
TIKI Chris
" There'll be good music and good chow -
At the Desert Luau "

For the record, that ain't me.

:drink:
(another) Tiki Chris

anyone know if there's any ukulele on this cd?

K-T

Agreed on all fronts Vic - you are obviously an astute music enthusiast.

Tiki Chris, sorry about encroaching on the moniker - I'll stick to the KUN - TIKI one I registered with.

Uke question - yes, there is a brief cameo of the Uke in the tune. Not what I would call a Uke tour de force - still, campy and fun.

I play an old Roy Smeck.

Best to all,

KUN - TIKI

Kun-Tiki is not the best name, perhaps.
Just say it aloud a few times and see what I mean...

THANK YOU TIKIFISH!
I only had to read it once to say "eeewwww"! And sorry Tiki Chris II, I was inclined to think you a smartass because of it, and probably wouldn't give any of your posts much serious thought.

P.S. Glad to see it wasn't you, Original Tiki Chris, I was wondering what had gotten into you!

Aloha Kun-Tiki,

No worries about the kun-fusion! Tikifish & Purple Jade may have point about how iki your username is. Here are some possible alternative monikers you might want to kun-sider:

Komb-Tiki (if you're a hairdresser)

HoneyKomb-Tiki (if you're a beekeeper)

Korn-Tiki (ummm...pass the butter!)

Kohen-Tiki (if you follow the theory that the early Polynesians were actually one of the lost tribes of Israel)

Khan-Tiki (perhaps the early Polynesians were from Mongolia or the Indian Subcontinent?)

Kar-Tiki (vroom vroom!)

Mopar Kam-Tiki (VROOM VROOM!)

Kod-Tiki (in Portuguese this would be Bacalau-Tiki)

Kode-Tiki (shhh...)

Too much coffee,
Tiki Chris

KOHEN-TIKI!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's as good as Discworld's Cohen the Barbarian!

K-T

WOW! I hadn't anticipated eliciting such a reaction concerning the username. Maybe I'll change it to Koan - Tiki. That way, Purple Jade can feel free to give "serious thought" to my post about some fine music. OOPS! - guess that's just the "smartass" coming out in me. Sorry if any adults were offended or read more in to the name than was intended.

Best wishes,

Koan - Tiki

[ Edited by: KUN - TIKI on 2005-06-26 14:51 ]

K-T

Just to show that I am earnest in my reply and hopeful for a fresh start here in this coolest of communities.

Best to all,

Koan - Tiki

K-T

That last post was supposed to be under my new username - KOAN - TIKI (member # 3355).
Perhaps a cookies issue? Not sure what has happened but this is definitely not turning out as hoped. Maybe I'll just go hide under a volcano or something.

Aloha

[ Edited by: KUN - TIKI on 2005-06-26 15:01 ]

On 2005-06-26 07:40, Tiki Chris wrote:

Khan-Tiki (perhaps the early Polynesians were from Mongolia or the Indian Subcontinent?)

Or Khaaaaaannnnnn!-Tiki:

[ Edited by: tiki-bot on 2005-06-27 13:17 ]

I didn't get the mis-reading of KUN-TIKI until I sait out loud a couple times, luckily only one of my employees was around & he's pretty understanding of me. :lol: I must admit that I [b]Love[/i] the new name! Koan-Tiki is much, much better than Kun-Tiki, all you need is a tiki twisted into that zen-zero symbol...

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2005-06-29 16:43 ]

S

Traitor Vic,
Are you referring to Unknown Hinson Theme?

I have that CD (Great stuff!!) but that tune doesn't sound very tiki to me, more spy/James Bondish. Haven't heard Desert Luau. Curious about it though, Unknown writes some cool stuff.

K-T

Great idea Freddie!I'm going to work on that.

Skeeter - No, this is not the Unknown theme. I have unknown's Desert Luau on his 14 chart toppin hits CD. Predates the " Future Is Unknown" one. I also have a 50th generation tape of his old cable access shows from Charlotte, N.C.

I highly recommend the David Ball album called " FREEWHEELER " which Vic rightly points out is of the country genre - but trust me his version of the Unknown song is quite cool and very TIKI - lots - o - great Hawaiian style steel guitar, some uke, some island drums, and David's immortal voice. ALL MUSIC GUIDE gave it 4 stars out of 5 and called it his opus album. Check it out -
Zen you'll know what I'm talkin' about.

Best,

KOAN - TIKI

K-T

P.S.

Thank heavens that my new username worked this time.

Aloha,

KOAN - TIKI

Aloha, Koan-Tiki!

Glad the new user-name is workin'! I was gonna write to tell skeeter that the "Unknown Hinson Theme" wasn't what I was talking about but you beat me to it.

Thought I'd take the opportunity, too, to mention that Unknown is now a member of the Capitol Records stable. If you haven't got "Rock'n'Roll is Straight from Hell" yet you've got some gettin' out and gettin' to do.

K-T

Hey Vic - thanks. Yes, I am aware as to " the king of country and western troubadors"
affiliation with Capitol - ( Welcome to the machine ) A guitar playing buddy of mine from Spartanburg ( not far from your neck of the woods ) has played the new record for me - although, as you say, I've got some gettin to do!

Best,

KOAN - TIKI

Pages: 1 18 replies