Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Bar Help

Pages: 1 3 replies

Please help!! I am in the process of designing a tiki bar for my backyard. I have hit a bit of a rut. Does anyone out there know of any books that I can get some inspiration from? Basically I am trying to find pictures of how to tie all of the roof trussing together. I don't want this thing falling on any of the drunks!! I have read the forum for about two years now, but this is my first posting.

I'm not exactly sure of the question...trussing? We built a wooden octagon(about 18 inches across) and attached the beams with stainless steel brackets. Covered it with plywood, flashing & roofing.

See our bar here...
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/view?i=EekNGrJq1cOGg&open=1&x=1&sm=1&sl=0

We searched online & found some gazebo type structures & modified the design to fit our purposes. We used cedar shingles on top and then got the palm thatching. This way if the palm rots quickly & we can't afford a new one then it will still look nice. On the underside, we used some bamboo thatching to cover all of the exposed surfaces so it would look nice if you look up.

Feel free to ask more questions, If I can't answer it then I'll ask my husband. He's the head carpenter. I'm the artist.

S

Yeah, you need to be a lot more specific. Drawings, pictures. I'm sure there is help here, but I am not sure what you are asking for. I have enough engineering dynamics to fake it. Did a lot of stress design on trusses. Old school stuff.

Thanks for the pictures. To be a little more clear...the uprights of the structure and the bar is easy, it's the roof that I am concerned about. I am looking for information on how to construct a safe roof for the structure. I was in the scenery business for years, and i have a pretty good idea of how to do it, I was just trying to see how others constructed their roofs.

Pages: 1 3 replies