Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tanduay Rhum?

Pages: 1 13 replies

R

Anyone out there have any information about "Tanduay Rhum - Dark"? A friend of mine went over to another friend's parents house over the weekend. The dad was very nice and started giving things away (pictures off the wall, bottles of alchohol, etc...) Anyway, when my friend came back, knowing that I am quite a fan of rum-based tropicals, he gave me this bottle of rum.

It is in a very nive cardboard box. The box reads: Tanduay Rhum - Dark. 1 Liter. 80 Proof, Bottled by Tanduay Distillers - Five Years / Gold Seal. Product of the Republic of the Philippines.

It is dark/amber in color. I opened the bottle and gave Tiki Bong a sip. He mentioned that it tasted like a good sipping rum.

I was just wondering if anyone has any other information about it. Also, if I used it in a drink, what type of rum would it replace.

[ Edited by: Riptide on 2005-06-27 09:53 ]

Wow! A Philipino Rhum! And a good one, I suppose? I've not heard of it before, but they have a website that seems to offer a fair amount of information (http://www.tanduay.com/) and Peter's Rum Pages has a nice page on them (http://www.rum.cz/galery/sas/ph/tanduay/). Seems Tanduay rhum corners 98 percent of the domestic rhum market in the Philipines. That's gotta say something.

R

Thanks Traitor Vic for the information. I don't know why I didn't even think of doing the old www.(product name here).com search. Anyway, that is quite an interesting story behind the distillery. Also the link to "Peter's Rum pages" was very useful and informative.

It truly is a pretty nice tasting rum. In the words on the infamous, Dr. Z "that is smooth!"

So now the question remains: Is it wrong to use such a good tasting sipping rum in a mixed drink?

S

I thought maybe Tanqueray was making a Rhum for people who have a bad cold and can't say the name properly...

I ran Tanduay through wikipedia.org & came up with The Tanduay Rhum Masters of the Phillipine Basketball Assn. It looks like they were bought out by FedEx to become the Express, too bad since it sounds cool to say "The Tanduay Rhum Masters shot 43% from the field to beat the San Miguel Beermen..."

R

On 2005-06-30 12:10, freddiefreelance wrote:
I ran Tanduay through wikipedia.org & came up with The Tanduay Rhum Masters of the Phillipine Basketball Assn. It looks like they were bought out by FedEx to become the Express, too bad since it sounds cool to say "The Tanduay Rhum Masters shot 43% from the field to beat the San Miguel Beermen..."

or..."I don't know what is wrong with The Tanduay Rhum Masters tonight. They seem very lethargic and appear to need a nap. The center has also just asked the scorer's booth if they could talk quieter and turn down the lights."

M

Strangely enough I also recently received a bottle of this same rum from a good friend who's wife is from the Phillipines. I was skeptical at first but it really it a good tasting rum. I did make a alt-version of a mai tai with it and it's rather good in drinks. But I'd agree it's good on its own.
He mentioned that it's the biggest selling rum there, and that it cost him something like $7 US for the bottle.

Ran across a reference to Philippine Island Rum (with a mention of Tanduay) while re-reading my 1948 edition of Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide last night...

"The production of rum, a comparatively new industry in the Philippine Islands, was interrupted by the war, and it may be years before full production is resumed. The distillation was light, similar to that of Puerto Rico, but the flavor was distinctive, faintly reminiscent of vanilla beans and herbs. Popular brands, prior to Pearl Harbor, were Tanduay and Panay."

Glad to know that at least one of them has survived.

Sorry about posting so late on this topic but i just joined recently.Tanduay is a very good rum from the Philippines.I bring as much as I can back with me when I'm over there.It seems to be very hard to get here in the states except for a few online distributors.I highly recommend that you try the dark as a sub. for any dark rum you are currently using

Just to give you an idea how much we get shafted for imported liquor,and how bad the economy is in the Philippines,the bottle of gold on the left is a fifth and the price was 38 pesos.The exchange rate today was 52 pesos = 1 u.s. dollar.You do the math.Also here's a picture of another product I brought back with me.My wahine,Gemma.

Over and out,
Donny

D

Yes it is a great rum the first time I had it I marryed my wife in the Philippines her family had it I wish I could get it here I love it

Its for sale now in the USA. at least, the silver and gold rums are here now. about $20 a bottle.

In a lazy mood last night, in a hurry to sit down with a drink and watch a movie at home. Tanduay Silver and diet coke was my choice. WOW, quite a surprise how good it was. Suprisingly tasty. If you have it, test it and see how you like it.

There are three Tanduay threads here on TC. Should I post this to all three and cover all bases? I think so! :)

A

My wife is Filipina and I now find myself at the local Filipino grocery stores (Seafood City) on a regular basis. Saw this display the other day for Tanduay:

Nice, Arriano, thanks for sharing that pic. I keep lots of canned/unsweetened pineapple juice at home for Painkillers, so will have to get some fresh basil and try that recipe.

Asian distillers continue to make inroads into the American market... I've seen whiskies, and now this rum, and I'm certain we'll see more in the future.

Pages: 1 13 replies