Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

mr bali hai quick question

Pages: 1 9 replies

I finally got my own mr bali hai (hurrah) and I know its been mentioned before but are the mr bali hai's with the concave bottoms older then the ones with the flat bottom?

Yes!

Any clue how much older?

M

I have always understood that the concave bottomed mugs are older. No idea how much. One certainly sees more of the concave mugs than flat.

The Skipper Kent mugs are a good comparison, both made by Otagiri and similar in style. Skipper Kent's went out of business quite a while ago, and their mugs had the two bottoms. Larger ones had the concave bottom, smaller had flat.

Or was it...now I am all con-fuse-ed!

On 2002-10-31 12:17, midnite_tiki wrote:

The Skipper Kent mugs are a good comparison, both made by Otagiri and similar in style. Skipper Kent's went out of business quite a while ago, and their mugs had the two bottoms. Larger ones had the concave bottom, smaller had flat.

Or was it...now I am all con-fuse-ed!

Yes, you were right- the Kent's concave bottom is about half an inch taller than the flat bottom one. And I didn't even notice that until after I had photographed them together! :)

Which Skipper Kent mug are you guys talking about? Is it the surfer?

M

Hiya Pop,
No, not the surfer girl...although that is a great mug. It's the big maoi head, golden brown in color. I finally got mine recently!

I would post a pic, but still have to find a place to host all my shots. First things first with my new entrance into digital photo. The Tiki Gallery has a shot of it.

Skipper Kent's was on Columbus in SF, I used to live right around the corner from the spot. It is now been split into two businesses: an Indian restaurant on side, Irish pub the other. Progress!

Were the concave bottoms there to strengthen the mugs or to cut down on the amount of booze per serving?

Trader Woody

No, they used water to cut down the booze!

M

Don't forget that Skipper Kent also had Zombie Village at 65TH and San Pablo in Oakland kitty-corner to the Original Trader Vic's and probably before Zombie Village he had a place in Berkeley, CA but I forgot the address.

Pages: 1 9 replies