Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Wild Animal Park Carousel- Almost Tiki

Pages: 1 7 replies

Hey boys and girls,

I took my family to the Wild Animal Park recently and saw that they have added a new attraction. The Wild Animal Park Carousel.

Due to the heavy African influence at the park the ride has an almost tiki vibe to it. Its super nice and the motor is extra quiet. Nothing like new technology on an old standby.

Here are some Pics.

This is the view of the entire ride with the bundled grass roofline and mounted masks around the perimeter.

Mask closeups

Wonderful animals on the ride. Modern expoxy and fiberglass techniques produce some amazing detail. The high gloss paint job is excellent too.

Hummingbirds. The jet pilots of the bird kingdom.

monkeymandesign.com

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2005-06-29 23:18 ]

Hummingbird? Hmmmmm. I thought that Hummingbirds are found only in the New World.

Oh it is a minor point...sorry. A damned fine looking machine they got there.

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2005-06-29 23:27 ]

New world, Old world, looks like my world full of jungle creatures.
Thanks MM.

PI

I would ride the hummingbird LOL.

TG, did you notice the South American Poison Dart Frog? :wink: The San Diego Wild Animal Park doesn't have African, or even Old World, animals exclusively, but their displays & buildings are generally Sub-Saharan African themed, definitely Beyond Tiki but still part of the Archetecture of Exotica.

I think they used the same company that made the animals for the Endangered Wildlife Carousel at the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, do any of the Chicago Ohana recognise them?

That is the coolest carousel ever!

It looks like there's an okapi on there, too! No way am I riding on a hummingbird, when there's a zebra right behind it!

Does anyone else scout out the animal / horse they want to ride while waiting in line, and if so, how do you pick your favorites?

M

I don't see a lamprey. Either it's on the other side or not very African. Perhaps TikiFish will let me ride the Llama after she's done.

T

Neat! I'll have to find out who manufactured that one....

Pages: 1 7 replies