Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Bar starter kit?

Pages: 1 12 replies

W

We've picked up one of these bars for our screened-in porch tiki room. I think if we stick it in a corner, with large screen windows behind it, and add a small frame w/ thatch above it then it might come out halfway decent. Maybe hang a tiki mask on the front. What do you guys think?

T

I thought that you were going to say frame and thatch the front of the bar. But yeah nice bar as is and would look good with a mask.

W

I may thatch or bamboo the front - depends on how it looks. Also, I am planning on tying two of the cheesy Spencer's spears to the roof as fake supports

R

The bar looks nice. A mask on front would look great. If you wanted, it would also be real easy to cut some reed fencing or seagrass/lauhala matting and wrap the front as well, but it really does look nice as is. I really like all of the shelves and the drawer inside.

So where did it come from? How much? and did you get the 50% off?

T

It's a nice bar, but I don't get it. If you wanted it "tiki" and want to put a thatch roof on it, why not just go to the source and get a BambooBen bar with all that already on it?

W

These bars have a great basic design and compact size and are a good option for people with little space and/or not enough cash for a custom piece.

Don't overthink the details when Tiki-fying it. Put your time and money into the rest of the environment. In a space full of neat Tiki stuff the bottom half of a bar is going to be a blind spot for most visitors, especially if the bar has a thatch roof hanging above it.

A large mask is the most basic option. Or 4 smaller masks, one in each square section.

A little more effort and money: tapa cloth or aloha print fabric squares filling in each of the square sections. The materials could be mounted on cardboard or foam board squares before being put in place so you can change them in the future if you wanted.

W

On 2005-06-30 17:04, Tiki-bot wrote:
It's a nice bar, but I don't get it. If you wanted it "tiki" and want to put a thatch roof on it, why not just go to the source and get a BambooBen bar with all that already on it?

Well, since his web page seems to be hosed I would have to drive in from Texas. The local World Market was a lot more convenient.

W

On 2005-06-30 16:36, Riptide wrote:
The bar looks nice. A mask on front would look great. If you wanted, it would also be real easy to cut some reed fencing or seagrass/lauhala matting and wrap the front as well, but it really does look nice as is. I really like all of the shelves and the drawer inside.

So where did it come from? How much? and did you get the 50% off?

World Market, and with the 50% off it was $174.50 - sale ends 7/10/05!

Glenn, those are a few good ideas, the reed fencing idea is pretty good. I did that for an outside bar. And think of it this way, besides being your bar, you can put it outside in the back yard if you stumble across a vintage one or something. Plus here's something good about that bar's design, if you wanted to put a mask on it (I would do one in the center) and you want it with light up eyes, it will be easy to wire and hang with the spaces between the slats.

W

On 2005-07-07 12:40, Unkle John wrote:
Glenn, those are a few good ideas, the reed fencing idea is pretty good. I did that for an outside bar. And think of it this way, besides being your bar, you can put it outside in the back yard if you stumble across a vintage one or something. Plus here's something good about that bar's design, if you wanted to put a mask on it (I would do one in the center) and you want it with light up eyes, it will be easy to wire and hang with the spaces between the slats.

dude, quit readin my mind you are FREAKIN ME OUT!!! LOL

Seriously, I already thought of that. Must have mask w/ red eyes. Almost as important as the smoking monkey!

• warning: totally off topic -

Webwide, your post stoked my brain and reminded me of something from my childhood.

When I was growing up my parents had a fence and gate in the exact pattern as the front of that bar. The gate wore out and was removed many, many years ago, the fence is now covered in silver lace vine. I used to spend much time playing in that area, and really liked the pattern of the wood slats in the gate.

Thanks for bringing back that memory, it was a good one.

I was just at OSH and they had basically the same bar, but with plastic/nylon raffia style thatching on the front and sides for $199.00. They had a thatch outdoor umbrella that also went with it for an additional $89.00. I must say, the fake thatching looked really cheesy. Reed fencing would look better than fake fringe, I think anyway.

UJ

On 2005-07-07 14:54, webwide wrote:
dude, quit readin my mind you are FREAKIN ME OUT!!!

Didn't you know that all Texans have that ability with fellow Texans?

Pages: 1 12 replies