Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Anybody going to Hootenanny this weekend?

Pages: 1 8 replies

No, not the Owl Central event, but the rockabilly fest in Irvine.

Here's the line-up

Main Stage A
1:00 – 1:30 Road Kings/Jesse Dayton
2:00-2:30 James Intveld
3:00- 3:30 Cadillac Tramps
4:00-4:30 Nekromantix
5:00-5:30 Link Wray

Main Stage B
12:30-1:00 Deke Dickerson
1:30- 2:00 Ricky Warwick
2:30-3:00 Throw Rag
3:30-4:00 Lee Rocker
4:30-5:00 Junior Brown
5:30-6:45 Social Distortion

Second Stage
12 -12:30 Ghengis con job
1:00-1:30 Hot Rod Lincoln
2:00-2:30 Los Infernos
3:00-3:30 Devil Doll
4:00-4:30 Dexter Roweber
5:00-5:30 Levi Dexter
6:00-6:30 3 Bad Jacks

I'm going, I may even have an extra ticket. Just curious if anyone else is thinking about going...

BB

I am in for sure

Man, I would be going, but we're actually recording the Smokin' Menehunes 6 song EP this Saturday. Poor planning on our part, I guess.

I've been to just about every other Hootenanny and in my opinion, this may be the best line up in a long long time. If I were going, I'd make it a point to see: The Road Kings, James Intveld, The Cadillac Tramps, Link Wray, Deke, Throw Rag, Junior Brown, Social D, Devil Doll, and The Three Bad Jacks. The two bands with the best live shows I think are Throw Rag and the Three Bad Jacks. I keep trying to get our stand up bass player to light his bass on fire but I don't think he's quite into that yet. If you don''t know what I'm talking about yet, you will...

See what I mean? I've just about named every band on the roster. I've seen every one of those bands multiple times except for Link Ray and Junior Brown. Junior Brown is the guy that I'm bummed about not seeing the most.

Hopefully our recording effort will be worth it though. We're going to injecting a whole lot of rockabilly feel into the Hawaiian music that we play.

Have a good time, Stuff.

I was hoping to make it but I don't think I will be able to get my traditional pass (free tix and back stage access)....and a bit poor this year

This is such a great event. I have gone every year, except this year. I don't know why they had to schedule it the same weekend as the Live 8 concert (or why it wasn't part of the line-up.) Although, I wish the Live 8 concert was more like the "US Festival" back in the 80's. It would be so cool to have a "Metal Event" like they did for that festival. Can you all just imagine Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Rainbow, WASP, Great White, etc on the same stage in 2005?

Anyway, I decided to stay home and see all the bands on VH-1 and MTV. I am hoping that Madonna will wear some of the old kneepads I made for her for her "Vogue Tour". FYI- If any of the ohana out there have a copy of her infamous "SEX" book, take a look at it and you will see many of my kneepads on her and her dancers (in some of the pictures it is all they are wearing!)

Hope those going to the Hootenany have a good time. Post some pictures if you can.

Kneepads

BB

In my humble opinion, Junior Brown and Throw Rag stole the show. Deke is always great. Everyone put on a great set. Bummer Three Bad Jacks and Social Distortion were playing at the same time, I had to run back and forth between stages. I have to say, would have been nice to have the Rev Horton Heat playing as well. Good times... Good times.

D
davew posted on Wed, Jul 6, 2005 9:37 AM

Kneepads,The list of punks,rockabillies and hipsters who stayed away from the hoot because of the great 8 is indeed a short one!

anyone catch los infernos? thought they had broken up some years ago?

Sad to say my two tix went to waste. I couldn't make the trip once again due to family trouble.

I really wanted to see the Road Kings. Did anyone get here early enough to see them?

That hurts Stuff I hate to see anyone miss a show they love....which of course I am doing this Saturday....I won't be making it to Rat Fink Party at the LA Speedway in Palmdale but if anyone is making it out check out the silent auction for a special tiki mug (a limited Munktiki Cult of the Eye Fez Mug) i had donated for the worthy cause......if you go take lots of pix and drink lots of beers for me.......

Pages: 1 8 replies