Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Check out my new Tiki Bar install!

Pages: 1 21 replies

I recently gutted my living room (what are they for anyway?) and installed a super-cool Tiki Bar.

Check it out at http://www.davidsteele.com/tiki

I originally had Bamboo Ben quote me for his good work, but we just couldn't sync calendars.

Anyway...I did this complete job for $5,241.00 including all furnishings, surfboards and flooring. If anyone wants help or advice with their existing or future projects, I have a WEALTH of tips and information.

[ Edited by: Wiki-Tiki on 2005-06-30 17:26 ]

[ Edited by: Wiki-Tiki on 2005-06-30 17:27 ]

[ Edited by: Wiki-Tiki on 2005-07-01 08:22 ]

[ Edited by: Wiki-Tiki on 2005-07-01 11:04 ]

• post edited to remove sarcasm which has ceased to be applicable -
  • irony void where prohibited by law -

[ Edited by: Tikitronic on 2005-07-01 11:09 ]

S

ditto

[ Edited by: saxotica on 2005-07-01 20:03 ]

Bamboo Ben Rocks!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

TG

Uh....definitley the wrong place to "dis" Bamboo Ben. Should of gotten acquainted with everyone here before you decided to "call" someone out.

Ben's a big part of this community. Nice way to start a new beginning, "(1) Poster". You can take your foot out of your mouth now.

Not the best foot to start off on, but some of the work is pretty good. Corrected link:

http://www.davidsteele.com/tiki

W

I'm sorry for the Ben comment. Really! (We just got snubbed and nobody likes that).

Anyway...I have been lurking here in these forums for many months, learning techniques and getting ideas from savvy members who are much more talented than me. (I just didn't register until I had something to show and to contribute).

The bottom line is that I've spent a TON of time cutting and gluing lauhala, working & playing with bamboo, shopping tikis, surfboards and many things tiki. I learned how NOT to do things and am happy to help anyone who might be thinking of installing their own Tiki Room.

What an awesome project it is! You'll feel much better paying your mortgage every month when you factor in that you have your very own Polynesian retreat for relaxing and entertaining friends.

(and thanks Tikitronic and freddiefreelance for your kudos. It's great to get positive feedback from respected Tikitians!)

F

Looks nice! May I ask where you bought those great bar stools?

W

Great observation, finkdaddy! You struck on perhaps my most cherished purchase of the entire project. Aren't those sweet?!

I bought the chairs (thrones) from one of the nicest guys in the world. His name is Wes and he owns a shop in Costa Mesa, CA. "House of Tiki". 949-642-8454.

He had six in stock and I bought them all. He said he personally designed them and had them made in Thailand, I believe. They are without a doubt the nicest island-style bar stools I've ever seen and really make our guests comfortable. They're deep and wide and spacious. We LOVE 'em!

It looks really nice. Maybe you should edit your first post , maybe say We wanted to work with Ben but had different ideas and could come to a understanding. RevBen is a hella cool guy and much respect to him.

Thanks for your respected input!

T

Wow, a BambooBen dis and a Coors plaque in a tiki bar! Your post already has more edits than a Sonofabeach thread! Welcome to Tiki Central!

I bow before you as a humbled and wiser TC poster, Tiki-bot!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jul 2, 2005 7:09 AM

Love the use of the boards! I have seen the shelf idea and really dug it, but hadn't seen it used for a bar - love it.

Also love the cutouts in the bambbo to hold your glasses above the bar.

Very nice. Good to see all that time lurking around has payed off. Welcome to TC

Thanks, Hewey. Believe me...it takes A LOT of guts to commit the 5" holes into a gorgeous surfboard.

Measure twice, cut once. Surfboards aren't cheap!

Looks good. When's the party?

W

TONIGHT!

The Kookaleili Room (not formally accepted as the room's name yet) will be rocking at 6:00 pm.

"The Kook Room"....perfect.
Looks great.

... hard to look at surfboards destroyed in such a cavalier and meaningless manner... ouch!... i guess poison ivy was right.. it should be called the "kook" room...

B

Really nice work Wikitiki, definately a bar to be proud of. Welcome to TC, it's about time you joined the ranks. Thanks

The barstools were did you get them from?

Sort of a Ron-Jon meets Buffet meets swap meet meets Party City kind of feel... (Isn't Ron-Jon owned by the Radisson?)....

Pages: 1 21 replies