Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

save a tiki from lat. 20

Pages: 1 43 replies

K
kiara posted on Sun, Jun 19, 2005 7:31 PM

does anybody know about the old lattatude 20
building in las vegas?it just burned down ,and, is going to be torn down.There are two tikis attached to the building.One is a total 60's tahitian carving ,about 6 or 7 feet.

[edited by hanford to fix merged title]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2005-07-02 18:18 ]

Oh, so you’re the one on the videotape.
I’ll buy the Tiki off you to help cover your legal bills, if you want.

D

Hi Kiara, Glad to see you posting. At the risk of sounding like a total dweeb. But I say, stick with what you know!
Where is this Lat. 20 in Las Vegas? I have never heard of it before. But I don't frequent vegas either. Is there a chance of you getting carted off to the big house for taking something that isn't legally yours? Is there some legal means you can save the tikis from destruction without the risk of incarceration? Have you tried to contact the owners of the business or building?
If it comes down to taking it from the property to keep it from being thrown out, surely that wouldn't bring the tiki liberator bad mana. oooh, now thats a TV show I would watch. Kiara, Tiki Liberator :tiki:

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-06-19 20:16 ]

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2005-06-22 16:16 ]

M

I will hop on my private Lear jet and try to check this out tonight!!!!

I'm not sure what this is all about but pick me up mrsmiley and we can smoke cigars and drink assorted rums on the way.

On 2005-06-21 15:47, FLOUNDERart wrote:
I'm not sure what this is all about but pick me up mrsmiley and we can smoke cigars and drink assorted rums on the way.

Sorry, I had my jet bring me back this morning. I will try to get someone to post photos for me.

S

Nice to see you onboard Kiara!

I PM'd a secret agent in Vegas to see if he's got any info.

M

Fresh from the lear jet:

Absolutely fine singed tiki pole, there, Mr. Smiley. Thanks Kiara and Mr. Smiley for showing us this place. I had no idea it existed. Is it really named the Lattitude 20? (That would make 3 I know of).

I'd say salvage operations are definitely in order if they're going to tear it down.

What was it like inside? (before the fire).

Sabu

M

On 2005-06-22 15:41, martiki wrote:
Fresh from the lear jet:

This photo was pre-fire, the rest are post fire!

D

Ok so what are his coordinates? What is Latitude 20'S address? Someone must resuce him. Oh Kiara...Tiki Liberator...where are you???

K
kiara posted on Wed, Jun 22, 2005 8:28 PM

good job mr. smiley.this place was built in the early 60's as (yes)LATTITUDE 20.a few years later a big storm flooded it(and a lot of the decor.)It opened next as a chinese restaraunt with a lot of the orig. tikis and decor .It was called MADAM WOOS.A few years after it opened a big storm flooded it.than it was a japanese rest.for a couple of decades until ,somehow, it caught on fire.I dont know how the inside looked when it first opened ,but,It was still pretty cool up until the end.There was a few really 60's ku gods hanging inside ,but it's so boarded up I couldn't get in to check.The tiki at the end of the post in mr.smileys pic. is sticking out of the top of the roof ,and, has a huge erection (blocked by the shadow.)It's located on flamingo rd. inbetween the strip and maryland prkwy(I think thats the name of the st. you may want to ask mr.smiley.)anyway ,thats the story(please correct any mistakes I have made.)this place is going quick (just like everything else in las vegas.)

D

Damn, not a very lucky place is it? I am more superstitious than I'd like to admit, sooo I don't know if I'll be saving any of the Latitude 20 tikis from their impending doom :(

K
kiara posted on Wed, Jun 22, 2005 8:40 PM

It's not bad luck.Its built on a low lot.the strip floods out a lot too.Ok, now I'm sounding like a know it all.
the cocktail sign in the pics was really cool.they used to have red plexi letters ,that ,someone has already taken.

[ Edited by: kiara on 2005-06-22 23:38 ]

M

Yes, its last incarnation was as a Hamada--a Japanese restaurant. I used to go there for a stiff Mai-Tai or two before I flew back to the bay area. It was my long time tradition.
It has been closed for 4 plus years. I have a call in to try to get those tikis! We will see.

D

Hmmmm? I wonder what kind of tools a tiki liberator would keep in their tiki liberator utility belt?
Sven...ohhh Sve-en..where is our fearless tiki leader when his people need him most?

RR

On 2005-06-23 09:52, DawnTiki wrote:
Hmmmm? I wonder what kind of tools a tiki liberator would keep in their tiki liberator utility belt?
Sven...ohhh Sve-en..where is our fearless tiki leader when his people need him most?

A chainsaw & bail money.

Rob Roy wrote:

bail money

Kill joy :P

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-06-23 10:43 ]

K

there are homeless people camped out in the parking lot smoking crack.I dont think anyone is going to arrest you for hauling of a burnt piece of wood.Most people (especially developers) couldn't give a squirt of piss (pardon me) about a tiki.
If you want it...gosh darnit...go out and get it.

M
Moki posted on Thu, Jun 23, 2005 12:50 PM

I'll bail you out Dawn. Got your back!! :lol:

PLLLEEEEASE if anyone goes on a liberation mission - let me know - i will don my black ski hat (yah - i have done this kinda thing before) and help out big time...

i have been watching this structure for years now - dreaming of creating a tiki corporate event compound...

did i hear right? it burned recently?
i drove by it fairly recently and noted how it had been left to vandals - which it very typical of what landowners who want to demolish do - they let the building become a public nuissance so that that people 'demand' it be removed.

You can do eeeet!

(but if you get caught, DON'T call me - I don't do criminal law)

M

On 2005-06-23 13:37, Futura Girl wrote:

did i hear right? it burned recently?
i drove by it fairly recently and noted how it had been left to vandals - which it very typical of what landowners who want to demolish do - they let the building become a public nuissance so that that people 'demand' it be removed.

Yes, charred portions and holes in the roof and everything!

D

Nope! I guess DawnTiki lacks the jynormous cajones a good tiki liberator needs.
I totally wussed out!
I had the car loaded with everything a Tiki Liberator might need. Assorted saws, chisels, ballpeen hammers, files and wrenches, even had my 8 year old son planned as my look out (my partner in crime...I know, I know, baaad mom) and last but not least, the cajones...where on earth to find the cajones? Does Pep Boys sell 'em?

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-06-23 18:42 ]

K

I just spoke with Otto (who put out an emergency tiki bulletin,)and, he told me a friend of his just walked the grounds ,and, couldn't find the (big) tiki.Did somebody rescue him(thank god)I'de love to know if he got a good home.This tiki has survived 2 floods and a fire ,He's a survivor.

[ Edited by: kiara on 2005-06-25 11:55 ]

[ Edited by: kiara on 2005-06-25 13:06 ]

bet he'll be up for sale at the red rooster soon after all this dies down....wouldn't be suprised if some antique dealer saw an opportunity.....

Good work people,I say scavenge away me maties,arrrg.

I JUST SAW AN EMAIL FROM OTTO ON MY OLD EMAILD ADDRESS REGARDING THE TIKIS AT THE OLD LATITUDE 20 IN VEGAS. MY FATHER RICHARD M. ELLIS DID THOSE TIKIS. WHEN LATTITUDE 20 CLOSED THE OWNERS GAVE HIM A BUNCH OF INTERIOR STUFF HE HAD PUT IN THE RESTAURANT, BUT HE NEW OWNERS WASNTED TO KEEP THE 2 TIKIS OUT FRONT. THESE TIKIS NEED RESCUEING OTTO SAID, AND MY FATHER PASSED AWAY 6 YRS. AGO. MY FAMILY REALLY WANTS TO RESCUE THESE TIKIS ASAP, IF I AM NOT ALREADY TOO LATE. PLEEEEEEZE SOMEONE WITH ANY INFO. ON WHERE AND HOW TO GET THEM CONTACT ME!!!!ANNIE ELLI 310-980-7200 or 310-457-2366 or [email protected] . My mother can not remember where Latitude 20 even was. PPLLLLEEEEEEZZZZZZZEEEEEE help!!!!!

[ Edited by Humuhumu to fix email address ]

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2005-07-02 18:18 ]

H

Ow! Using ALL CAPS is the online equivalent to yelling, and is very hard to read. It's very, very cool to learn about the history on these tikis, Surfinannie, I hope you're able to learn what's happened to them.

Here's a translated version:

I just saw an email from Otto on my old email address regarding the tikis at the old Latitude 20 in Vegas. My father Richard M. Ellis did those tikis. When Latitude 20 closed the owners gave him a bunch of interior stuff he had put in the restaurant, but the new owners wanted to keep the 2 tikis out front. These tikis need rescuing Otto said, and my father passed away 6 yrs. ago. My family really wants to rescue these tikis ASAP, if I am not already too late. Pleeeeeze someone with any info. on where and how to get them contact me!!!! Annie Elli 310-980-7200 or 310-457-2366 or [email protected] . My mother can not remember where Latitude 20 even was. PPLLLLEEEEEEZZZZZZZEEEEEE help!!!!!

Latitude 20 was a Restaurant in Las Vegas that my father, Richard M. Ellis, designed, interior decorated AND carved the Tikis that are there still. When the owners sold it, they called my father who went up and got alot of interior items, but the new Owners wanted to keep the two Tikis he had carved outside. My father was taught to carve by Andy Bumatai in the early 50's. My family would love to rescue those Tikis and get them back in the family. I have posted on here before but my post did not go up..Maybe I am doing it wrong, but if anyone has any info. on this I would be extremely grateful. Otto had emailed me, but I did not get it until today. In all of Tiki Central, my mom and I hope there is someone who knows how we can retrieve these Tikis or if someone already has. Appreciate any info. ASAP. Thankyou! Annie Ellis

Annie, I hope you will have the luck to get these back. If anybody deserves these most, it is your family.

Just got the whole story from my mother re: Latitude 20. There was an original Lat.20 in Torrance. Hop Luie Woo, owner, then moved to Vegas and wanted to have one there. My father did many Restaurants for Hop Luie, in Vegas, Florida, and over seas. He carved all the Tikis at all the Restaurants, and ones at Hop Louies house, etc. When Hop Luie died Minnie Woo, his wife, changed the name to Madam Woos, and changed the whole flare of the Restaurant. She called my father who went up with a moving truck and got tons of stuff out of the interior. ie: Old carved ships wheels etc. She wanted to keep the Tikis. There is a Restaurant in LA that was Hop Louies also, named after him, "Hop Louies". It passed on tho the nephew who I have now left a message for to see if we can't track down who owns the property. Hop Louie was all a Senior V.P. at Caesars Palace for Foreign Relations. He would go to Hong Kong, China, etc. and bring in big wigs from over there to gamble! He was also V.P. of ALL the Treasure Islands all over Biscain Bay, etc. So there is a little history on all the Latitude 20's. If anyone can help me get these Tikis back I would appreciate it. The pole Tiki in the picture under MrSmiley's listing, is almost identical to one my dad carved for our house 50 years ago, I have a picture of it, as it rotted. If any of you would like to see my dad's Tikis, Look in "The Book of Tiki" by Sven, on page250 the three at the left corner are all my fathers. Andy Bumatay taught my dad to carve in early 1950's. Sven mistakingly put that ANDY(Andres-liked to be called Andy by the way!)which he knows now were my dad's. The Tiki on the left of the three still is in perfect condition at my mother's house here in Malibu, CA. (His name is The Silent Man)The Tiki MUG, was made from one of my dad's Tikis, and is another story. My mother would KILL for one of those, if any of you Tiki Mug collectors have one and want to sell it!! My # are 310-457-2366 or 310-980-7200. Mr Smiley,Seamus, Kiara can you contact me??

i called Sven at home, he is out of town for another month, so I emailed him. I have put in a call to Building and Safety in Vegas, have left a message for Hop Louies nephew....My mom thinks the property may still be in the Woo family, all the sisters live in San Fran, trying to track them down...I have emailed Otto, but gotten no reply, yet. Thanks for any and all help on my dads Tikis. Peace, Love, Annie Ellis

Sorry about the capitals used...i am not yelling...just excited.......very emotional about my fathers Tikis. Thanks, won't do all caps anymore!Surfinannie

H

Wow! Thanks for all this fantastic history, Surfinannie. If I can think of some way I can help, I will, in the meantime, I sure am rooting for you.

D

Now I wish I hadn't listened to my Mom, she talked me out of going and trying to salvage the tiki. If I had, I would have been proud to have been able to have helped get him back to where he belongs, with your Mom. If it's been taken, I hope somehow it finds its way back to your family. Best of luck and thanks for sharing some of your special family memories and history with us.

DZ

Y'know, the TikiPugs live there in Vegas - I wonder if they're on to this yet. (If'n any body can wrangle a big tiki out of a place, it's TikiPug himself!!)

M

Yes, as Otto's friend discovered the Tiki is gone from the old Lat. 20. I hope someone enjoys it!

Want to thank all for help on recovering the Tikis at the Old Lat. 20. Thank you Mr. Smiley for the phone call. I actually tracked down Hop Louie's (the old owner who my dad carved all the Tikis for) daughter. She put me in touch with a Mr Hamato who owned the property. He informed me he would have been glad to give me the Tiki my dad had carved but that it had been taken. Oh well, I tried. Hope whoever got it enjoys it in good health. My father always believed in never removing a Tiki unless in the proper way, so I wanted to go the legal route as Mr. Smiley had said. But life goes on and I got leads in the interum of other Tikis of his that I will check out. All the best to you all.Annie

I just read this post for the first time. I just found out today, while talking to my dad that my great-uncle Hop Louie actually owned a bunch of tiki restaurants at one time or another, including this Latitude 20 in Vegas (and I found out through this thread, not my dad!!). But anyway, I left a small related story on this thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15483&forum=1&3

I'm sorry that Annie couldn't get the tikis back to her mom, but I hope they've found a good home.

Aloha!

I just found this thread while looking for some "ethical rules" for saving doomed tikis. Any help on THAT subject would be appreciated as I can't seem to find any threads that deal with that question yet.

Anyway, I know that this is a long dead thread and any stirring up the long settled muck may prove to be a mistake, but I know who took one of the two tikis from Hamada's/Latitude 20. It did not go to any antique mall to be sold, rather it was "saved" by a tiki fan and is now proudly displayed in his backyard.

Now, here's my ethical dilemma; I hate this guy because he ripped me off and betrayed my trust. Do I tattle on him? Or is that bad karma because of the reason I'd be tattling? Is Annie still around and would it be beneficial to get her hopes up again that she might actually be able to legally wrangle the tiki from this guy who I know will not give it up without a fight?

Thoughts and comments please!

You confront the guy with the facts. If he coughs them up- good! If he doesn't- you walk away.

I had a situation like this with a carved walking stick I made. It was stolen. A year later I see a guy with that very walking stick. So I say to the guy, "What a unique walking stick you've got there!" And described every detail of the carvings, the meanings, etc., without having to look at the stick itself. He was taken aback. I told him that I knew it well because I carved it myself, and described exactly how and when it was stolen from me, then I shut up. After a long pause, the guy says, "Well, is your name on it?" I COULDA SLUGGED HIM! But, I didn't, I walked away. I can live without that carving, but I wonder how well he lives with himself.

Here's my personal rules on that:

1.) It is taboo to field collect artifacts from a site, however dilapidated, that is still in operation, or in turnaround to become a new gathering place to hail Tiki (the latter might be difficult to assess).

2.) Only after trying to make contact, and only when convinced that there is total ignorance of the value of Tiki artifacts, and that because of that they are threatened by extinction, is it OK to "save" a piece of Polynesian pop history.

3.) It is selfish to "protect" the knowledge of such site from other interested parties...yet understandable. But in my opinion, the more preservationists know about a threatened property, the better is the chance for something to survive. The need to "own" it should be secondary.

4.) It is pointless to seek to right wrongs that are committed against these rules, people have to live with themselves, Tiki temple theft more than likely yields bad luck Tikis!

Pages: 1 43 replies