Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Dionysus Art

Pages: 1 37 replies

Since everyone else is showing off their Dionysus art I might as well also.

I even shoved a tiki into one of them. My first tiki in quit a while.

"The Dionysus Procession"

"Purple Dye #5"

"MD 20/20"

H

Haha, that de Vos one is the bee's knees!

B

In typical Beautiful FLOUNDER Fashion, I see.
About time too, we have been Needing a "Flounder fix".
Thanks for posting. What a relief to see your work again on these pages.

M

Flippin' fantastic Flounder. Great to see your stuff here again.

Thanx all.

Humu, I'm impressed. How would you know of Cornelis? Most people have no idea who he is or anything to do with his art. You get an A+ for the day.

H

Hey, you get the A+, you inspired me to learn about him. When I saw your piece, it looked like a take on something classic, so I did some searches on Dionysian art, and came across de Vos' "Triumph of Bacchus." Art introduces art introduces art, introduces more art -- it's a beautiful thing. Thank you!

S

Flounder-
They look great, tikis or not, your paintings are incredible.

T

Looks great!

Awesome Flounder, thanks for posting these great works!

Absolutely Amazing, Great Great stuff....Thanks for posting these!

R

WOW, I just went thru your whole website. Beyond words is how amazing your work is.

Thanks everyone. It is very much appreciated.

Very cool stuff, Flounder. I especially like the flying mohawked baby.

Great art, flounder!

ThanX Sam are you going to the show? Palm Springs is very cool. I won't be making it to this show. I wouldn't want to be there in the summer! The baby with a mowhawk is a kewpie doll.

ThanX Kahiki Johnny.

A

Ah yeah! Is that the purple mad dog? I think it's best consumed with a bag of Cheetos and a pack of Kool mild 100S.

I like the cyclop, smorking dunny too. That painting has a Renaissance feel.

K
kooche posted on Fri, Jul 8, 2005 8:11 PM

killer stuff jack! OIL pray tell? i hope so!

like a millions bucks man...rock and roll some MORE for us why don't you?

No Scott, I won't be going... I spent all day today boarding up my house for this Hurricane Dennis character anyhow. You know how it goes, I'm sure!

On 2005-07-08 20:11, kooche wrote:
killer stuff jack! OIL pray tell? i hope so!
like a millions bucks man...rock and roll some MORE for us why don't you?

Thanx bro. Yeah dat be da oils.

On 2005-07-08 20:27, Sam Gambino wrote:
No Scott, I won't be going... I spent all day today boarding up my house for this Hurricane Dennis character anyhow. You know how it goes, I'm sure!

Damn hurricanes!!! This one looks like it could be comin right for ya. Bunker down my friend it looks like it's going to be another bumpy ride!

I have been thinking of making a hurricane board game. Maybe something that comes with a battery powered light. Watch out for tose feeder bans. Ahhhhh

K
kooche posted on Sat, Jul 9, 2005 2:51 PM

oils...what in theeeeeeeeeeeeee sam hell is your medium made of? i've become partial to thickened linseed myself...

i'm guessing you are a liquin junkie?

galkyd? gamsol? odorless mineral spirits? potato legume extract?

you rock bro...good luck tonight at the show!

On 2005-07-09 14:51, kooche wrote:
oils...what in theeeeeeeeeeeeee sam hell is your medium made of? i've become partial to thickened linseed myself...

i'm guessing you are a liquin junkie?

galkyd? gamsol? odorless mineral spirits? potato legume extract?

you rock bro...good luck tonight at the show!

My secret, no medium just odorless mineral spirits. I tried liquin for the first time recently but didn't care for it . I liked how it helped the paint to spread but didn't like how it made it transparent.

Oils stink.

K

OMS...gamsol is the safest by far...liquin is great but i prefer thickened linseed oil ...like liquin - about 2 hours to get tacky...24 hour dry time...but wiht liquin opacity comes in 2 coats minimum and with thickened linseed you can do it one...the art center studio for life painting is FULL of liquin vapor...the REAL plus to liquin is the sealing quality...hit your piece with a coat of liquin and it's locked down tight and safe!

good looking paintings man!

Can I ask, are you guys working on paper ever? I've been dying to try oil on paper, but am a bit squeamish about doing something I love and having it fall apart...

I'm doing my first oils on board now...it's exciting to be able to sling it around...I've always worked huge, now I'm going smaller, it's kind of liberating...(not that any of this matters, I'm just rambling...)

I'm in awe of your work guys......such a great forum....

anyway.....................

Ramble on my friend.

I have never used oil on paper. I prefer canvas board and have tried painting on masonite. For the way I paint masonite is to slippery.

I don't paint on stretched canvas because I paint on a flat surface and like to rest my hand which is hard to do on stretched canvas.

Maybe Miles has painted on paper though.

K

nah...paper would be eaten alive...i have tried it...and the oil saturates the paper the way a peanut butter sandwhich would a napkin does at the edges...it bleeds out...and in a matter of months you'd have a great scinece experiment ...if you used a resiliant piece of illustration board it might hold up longer...

all 8X10" oil on panel...some are on VERY smooth gesso that was sanded fine...those i like the feel of a bit more but the images work fine either way...when you try hard to keep it thin on a mirror smooth surface you could paint a pile of dog shit and it'd look like a playboy model from 1965

these are from my upcoming "Heaven and Hell" show this weekend

Well heck, that isn't what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the information! It seems I read that Gauguin or Degas or the like had painted quite a bit on paper, and it got me wanting to try it...but then again, I think it could have been cardboard, and I have a strange feeling it wasn't the ups variety..... oh well...I need to get the facts straight....

Scott, I hope you made it through Dennis with relatively little damage! What fun that all must be! ugh..

Kooche...Great pieces!! I've got my Gig dog right here in my studio..had it since I was little....big eyes have a special place in my heart...lol...good luck on your show!!

anyway...back to work....have a great day!

Robin

K

cardboard lasts but it has the same effect...it gets flimsy...saturated...the best thing you can do is go to a local hardware/lumbar yard and get a piece of ply that is 1/4 inch thick ... i have a hand held battery powered Makita saw to dice it with...but they shold be able to cut it for you if it isn't a synthetic compound...then you slop gesso and GO!

thanks for loving my big eyes!

S

Miles-
Digging the new stuff. See you and Andrew later this week.

LOL...well, if I have to do all that, I think I'll just stick with board...why risk it at all! There was something about the texture I thought would be kinda neat.

but then again, the slopping of gesso is always so cool...

hehehehehehe.......

maybe just once...

I have this thing for odd supports...it's just so interesting....different can be good!

ok, ok, I'm beating a dead horse...sorry....(why is it I get here and ramble....ugh!!)

On 2005-07-10 12:31, FLOUNDERart wrote:

I have never used oil on paper. I prefer canvas board and have tried painting on masonite. For the way I paint masonite is to slippery.

I don't paint on stretched canvas because I paint on a flat surface and like to rest my hand which is hard to do on stretched canvas.

I have used Masonite in the past, I prefer canvas but if you take sand paper to the masonite or put a thick layer of gesso it will work in a pinch.

I also rest my hand on the canvas. I'm costantly wipeing my hand to revent cross contamination.

I tried this stick trick. but the stick is tricky.

His models must have hated him.

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2005-07-12 07:51 ]

K

i have a mahl stick...i LOVE that thing...robert williams uses a bridge over his paintings if they are small enough to work on without an easel - flat on a table...

the trick to the mahl is getting it over an edge of the work surface or grounded on the panel itself...canvas would seem to me to be a bit too forgiving...i am heavy handed...i love panels...Dali used a string tied to the back end of his mahl stick which he tied to the pinky on his pallette hand and a gummy ball of resin on the end of his brush hand's pinky which stuck to the front end of the stick to move his stick around while he painted...or so he says in his AMAZING book 50 Secrets of Master Craftsmanship...one of the most informative books i have ever read...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/sim-explorer/explore-items/-/0486271323/0/101/1/none/purchase/ref%3Dpd%5Fsxp%5Fr0/103-4604446-8955844

http://www.okwoodart.com/mahl_sticks1.htm

here is where i got mine...

You also have to wear a funny hat when painting. Something I picked up from Dali and have been doing for about ten years now. i have hats laying all over my studio.

K

i paint nude with a hat covering my ass and a fig leaf over my unit

On 2005-07-15 07:44, kooche wrote:
i paint nude with a hat covering my ass and a fig leaf over my unit

I hear it's a very small fig leaf! :D

K

those that know haven't seen...neither have i...if you find it, you'll be the first

and by the way...i make up for the lack of a phallus with a HUUUGE booty

Sorry Miles, you left that one wide open!

And trust me people this man does have a huge booty!

K

hey dude...no harm no foul

check out this Robert Williams interview...pretty funny i think...sheds light on what why and how...

http://www.sunsetstrip.com/lifestyle/robt.html

Pages: 1 37 replies