Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Awesome drum mug

Pages: 1 21 replies

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Jul 5, 2005 7:35 PM

Okay, I don't know if this is right, but I am promoting someone else's auction. It starts at $75, so, this is not a secret find steal. However, I own the Mai Kai handled version of this mug and I have to say it is the most prized mug I own. The detail, the relief, the various colors on the rim... It' sjust incredible. I don't think any bars served out of them. The Mai Kai gave it away as part of a trip to Tahiti promotion in the 1970's. But, there are few finer mugs out there.

Here you go.

Do I get a 10% commission?

J

Man, that is gonna look sweet in one particular TC lurker/Ebay High Roller's collection! :wink:

didn't one of these just sell less than a month ago for only $53? The starting bid of $75 seems a bit high. (but, yes, this mug is in my top 5 must have list)

-Z

UB

$53? I wish I had known.
I've watched them average about a $100.

M

*The Mai Kai gave it away as part of a trip to Tahiti promotion in the 1970's. *

Really? Wow, been wondering about this mug for a long time. How'd ya get this mystery solved?

We acquired one of the Mai Kai drums a while ago...(heh heh, TikiHula!) We contacted the Mai Kai but got little with that line of inquiry. Someone there remembered the mug (a very long-term employee) but nothing too specific. At first we feared it wasn't Mai Kai (as in Lauderdale) but with that little info we at least felt secure it was some type of Mai Kai (Lauderdale) piece.

It is a fine piece, much nicer than the vast majority of Tiki mugs. The opening bid in the instant auction is really more of a transparent reserve. We don't favor such an approach, stifles the bidding, IMO. Different strokes, but it seems unsporting for an auction. Start it low, get the bids going! Tough to do that with a high open.

Chicago's Field Musuem has some fine examples of PNG/Sepik drums like this mug. It's worth the price of admission to cath the collection, and to see the Maori House.

T

The Tonga Room one is nice, but it's the handle of the Mai Kai mug that really makes it stand out! Isn't the Tonga one smaller anyway...?

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Jul 8, 2005 8:33 AM

On 2005-07-06 10:33, midnite_tiki wrote:
*The Mai Kai gave it away as part of a trip to Tahiti promotion in the 1970's. *

Really? Wow, been wondering about this mug for a long time. How'd ya get this mystery solved?

We acquired one of the Mai Kai drums a while ago...(heh heh, TikiHula!) We contacted the Mai Kai but got little with that line of inquiry. Someone there remembered the mug (a very long-term employee) but nothing too specific. At first we feared it wasn't Mai Kai (as in Lauderdale) but with that little info we at least felt secure it was some type of Mai Kai (Lauderdale) piece.

I know some people at the Mai Kai. :wink: I got the skinny on the mug from Kern Mattei, second generation Mai Kai General Manager. If he doesn't know, he can call his Dad and answer about any question. He had a clipping from the paper I think that showed the mug and told about the Tahiti trip give away. I don't have all the details exactly, but I think all the finalists got that mug.

M
  • don't have all the details exactly, but I think all the finalists got that mug. *

Bitchin...! That means I am a finalist. I always wanted to go to Tahiti. Will have to get my body-waxing done (maybe a new bathing suit) and bone up on my Tahit, or whatever it is they speak over there. Sweet!

Now, I won't have to be present at the drawing will I; when it is anyway? I never win anything.

On a serious note: A minor!
How many finalists could there have been? The thing is really big for a cocktail vessel, but only for finalists? Perhaps it was lying around, as in: "We need a runner-up prize...here have a drum mug!" TikiHula Yes, the Tonga Room version is smaller. The bird handle on the Mai Kai version does set it apart. Very "Tiki", IMO.

Always a bridesmaid,
midnite

T

Ray, you'd make one ugly bridesmaid :wink:

M

This should be yours, ________(fill in appropriate name)!

Because it's a great mug, from a great old tiki bar, and well, cause you're great, too! I'd buy it for you, ________ (fill in appropriate name), but I am not going to. Although, I did think about it and and it's the thought that counts. Wait, it's thinking is half the battle or is it twice the effort? I am sure it is some such other platitude. At least I think it is.

At $74.99 it's a good deal.

...Decimal trouble...

Disco Sucks!
midnite

M

While it is a beautiful mug and rare so is the price. Hmmmmm

T

well, at least this seller is consistent with pricing...

if only...

and benihana mugs starting at 180 bucks? sweet.

got tiki?

[ Edited by: tikicleen 2008-07-07 10:31 ]

$250 for a benihana samuari mug!!! awesome!!!!

F.Y.I - you can still get all the benihana mugs for at least $5 each, brand new from any benihana's.....i recently picked up the samurai swordsman one shown on ebay at the benihana in chicago.....they also sell dynasty tiki mugs....

ha..i should post mine on ebay with a buy it now of $100 to under cut that seller..then go buy more mugs from benihana!!

Q

I think the seller's name "smokegoddessinc" says it all.

What happened to this mug??? I would have like to have seen pictures of it at least.
I have never seen the mug that Swanky is talking about.

RR

On 2008-07-07 09:40, tikicleen wrote:

if only...

But the ninja has a removable sword. That alone is worth the $199. I wonder if you could take the sword on a plane?

On 2008-07-07 13:01, Rob Roy wrote:

if only...

But the ninja has a removable sword. That alone is worth the $199. I wonder if you could take the sword on a plane?

the one i got came with the sword....and it's still only cost $5.00....they have 2 atyles there that come with the swords....if you want one for $199.00 i'll sell you mine!!

RR

On 2008-07-07 14:53, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

On 2008-07-07 13:01, Rob Roy wrote:

if only...

No problem, "the check is in the mail."

the one i got came with the sword....and it's still only cost $5.00....they have 2 atyles there that come with the swords....if you want one for $199.00 i'll sell you mine!!

No problem, "the check is in the mail."

Now I know who this seller is.I checked out the drum Mai Kai mug,
very very nice.This is the same as the handled drum mug from the
Tonga Room however-definitely not a $ 800 mug.The seller knows he has
something very rare and wants the buyer to pay the premium.
I am curious as to what offer amounts have been submitted ?

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2008 5:40 AM

On 2008-07-07 18:48, 1961surf wrote:
Now I know who this seller is.I checked out the drum Mai Kai mug,
very very nice.This is the same as the handled drum mug from the
Tonga Room however-definitely not a $ 800 mug.The seller knows he has
something very rare and wants the buyer to pay the premium.
I am curious as to what offer amounts have been submitted ?

This mug is about half again as big as the Tonga Drum version. On Ooga-mooga you can see some of the past prices. $500 is a recent Buy It Now price on this mug. I'd say I know of roughly 4-6 of these in collections. That's just from having seen it sell on Ebay in the last 7-8 years. Dr. Z took the first one for $20. At the time I had no idea it was rare and figured I wait for it to show up again... 2 years later...

T

Ok Midnite - you win the prize for digging up a three year old post for no apparent reason. You must have way too much time on your hands man :wink:

On 2008-07-06 21:54, midnite_tiki wrote:
This should be yours, ________(fill in appropriate name)!

Because it's a great mug, from a great old tiki bar, and well, cause you're great, too! I'd buy it for you, ________ (fill in appropriate name), but I am not going to. Although, I did think about it and and it's the thought that counts. Wait, it's thinking is half the battle or is it twice the effort? I am sure it is some such other platitude. At least I think it is.

At $74.99 it's a good deal.

...Decimal trouble...

Disco Sucks!
midnite

T

Again?, not again man.
Decimal proble

Pages: 1 21 replies