Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Rob Zombie & Devil's Rejects

Pages: 1 8 replies

As part of promotional gimmick for his new movie, The Devil's Rejects, Rob Zombie has launched a series of web sites detailing locations featured in the movie.

The latest is for the Kahiki Palms Motel. The site is very basic (it is supposed to be), but features a few tikis and ecards. It looks like most of the fonts came from the House Industries pack.

IMHO- the set decorator did a pretty good job in doing a roadside tourist trap hotel that looks like it has been through a few themes in its life. This is a pretty good example of a hotel that was trying to jump on the exotica/tiki wagon, but didn't quite do it right. Again, it is supposed to be like that and not a Trader Vic's.

The Kahiki Palms web site is here

Chris

Too bad it doesn't really exist. Can't wait to see this movie, I just love a good gore movie every now and then...

[ Edited by: stuff-o-rama 2005-07-16 13:50 ]

M

Hecky yahoo! I jump for joy whenever RZ gets his teeth into a new project. Sure to be a cult pleaser.

Rae

M

Rob Zombie ROCKS. He's the modern day Alice Cooper and much more creative than Marilyn Manson.

Has anyone else seen the first movie "House of a 1,000 Corpses?" That is probably one of the most disturbing horror flicks I've ever seen. I loaned it to a couple friends of mine and they both returned it unwatched. One said, "it was pure evil".

What surprised me about the Kahiki Palms website was the use of clipart for the Tiki's. Rob is actually a really cool comic book/kustom kulture style artist. Along the lines of Von Franco (and our friend Jamio)

Can't wait for this!!! I see a Rob Zombie Tiki mug in our future.

[ Edited by: MachTiki 2005-07-06 07:04 ]

I loved "House of a 1000 Corpses" although the one girl's voice was so grating she drove me nuts.

This new movie looks so great, the whole back story is cool, too. They are marketing it like the "Blair Witch" with this whole folk legend, based-on-a-true-story is-it-or-isn't-it-real pitch.

I wasn't a fan of Rob Zombie at first, I thought White Zombie was just a Zodiac Mindwarp rip-off, but I've grown to love him. And Zodiac Mindwarp loves him too so I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

I'd love a "Zombie" mug... Holden? Are you listening? :)

Speaking of Zodiac Mindwarp did you know that the guitar player "Stargazer" is my brother in law and he sports some of my kneepads on the "High Priest of Love" EP. As far as, Rob Zombie is concerned I loved "1,000 corpses" especially "The Clown" Sig Haig he is my idol!! I just wished Stephan Percy of RATT would get around to making a good movie.

[ Edited by: CaptainKneePads Tiki 2005-07-06 17:09 ]

Jeez, is there another full moon already?

The tiki featured on this site was driving me nuts because I knew I had seen it before.

I'm pretty sure that it is the same tiki used on Pee-Wee's Playhouse. Rob was a production assistant on the show.

This is a screenshot from peewee.com.

Here is a site dedicatedto the Kahiki Palms Motel.

http://www.kahikipalms.com/

I kinda wonder if this belongs in Beyond Tiki. Maybe a mention in the "Tikis in movies" thread?

Pages: 1 8 replies