Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Ventura's Missing Tiki Returned!

Pages: 1 1 replies

I did a seach and didn't see anything written about this so I hope this hasn't been posted elsewhere.

Anyway, I was flipping through radio stations this morning when I heard one playing the Disneyland Tiki Room song. Natually, I stopped and it turned out to be a lead in to there story about a tiki stolen in Ventura. The Von Tiki tiki carving team in Ventura (I Think I've met at least one of you guys) carved a tiki for the city that was intended to be auctioned off. The tiki, Vinnie, was carved out of the stump of a dead palm tree in the downtown area. It was carved in two days in order to coincide with an arts festival, at the end of which it was to be cut off and auctioned to raise money for the arts in the city, I think. Unfortunately, theives chopped it down the day before the auction. However, it was eventually found on a hiking trail.

Anyway, the local media, including a local lounge radio station, pitched in to help in the search for the tiki and a $300 reward was offerred. The story just aired today (Wednesday, July 6, 2005) at 6:30 AM on KCLU 102.3 FM. All in all, I can't believe this isn't mentioned anywhere. If it HAS been, I just want to repeat that I DID use the search feature so it ain't my fault if this is old news to most people. Still, pretty cool, huh?

Aaargh! I just saw the post "Tiki makes the local paper" by bongofury. OK, I appologize for making a second post about this.

Pages: 1 1 replies