Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Top ten most desirable tiki mugs?

Pages: 1 16 replies

T

Although I love to collect the mugs, I am not as knowledgeable as many of you when it comes to identifying them, or knowing what's hot and what's not. In my mind, the ones I think are cool are hot, and the ones I don't find as aesthetically pleasing, are not...

However, I still think it's worthwhile to know what you all would consider yoour top ten most desirable mugs, and why!

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-11-01 10:46 ]

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop 2013-02-04 23:09 ]

This is a hard list to have to come up with, so most of mine is a list of categories, rather than individual mugs:

1. mugs with restaurant or bar names on them
  2. mugs marked that commemorate an event
  3. mugs with nicely hand-painted detail
  4. mugs with lids
  5. clam shell bowls
  6. bowls with Tiki feet
  7. mugs marked "Tiki Bob's"
  8. mugs from "The Tikis"
  9. mugs with hula girls
    10.my Tiki Central Shecky mug!

:tiki:

M

I will throw out a few others for consideration:

Islander (L.A.) Coffee Grog, Tiki Bob, Luau 400, Mauna Loa, Ren Clark Hula Girl, Skipper Kent, Hawaiian Room (NYC), and Don Beachcomber, MY Mai-Kai Sepik/PNG drum mug!.

I'd offer that there are tiers or "levels" of desired mugs. Ordinal ranking would be difficult, but one can easily see certain mugs in the top tier, some a bit less rare in the next...so on. Of course, whatever one wants next is always the most desired!

And of course, what I have for sale in the next Midnite Tiki Mug Blow-Out Spectacular Funfest!

midnite :drink:

T

I'd love to see wee pics of some of these in a post... is that too much to ask? Anyone got a lot of spare time on their hands?

H

Links to the gallery pics would be cool...

A

My favorite mugs are the ones from Ren Clarks Polynesian Village. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of these mugs. Here are some of my other favorites in no particular order. I only have two of these mugs.

The "Blue Eye" and "The Bird of Paradise" from Steven Crane. He made some cool mugs

The "Idols Cast" and the "Mystery Drink" from the Kahiki

These are from the Islander. "The Maori" and the "Andress Bumatay"

From the Hawaii Kai in New York. One of my favorites

Johny Quongs Utah

Hawaiian Room, New York

Kelbos "The Smiley" LA.

The Mauna Loa in Detroit.

From the collection of Trader Pup "The Zombie Village" San Francisco

Trader Vic's Suffering Bastards.

What did I forget?.

HH

picks jaw up off floor WOW those are some killer mugs, I havent seen half of those! Sweetness

T

Thank you so much for posting those pics, that is fantastic! The Bird of Paradise is truly hypnotic. Was it only from one particular Steve Crane bar, ore were they in the chains?

M

The "Crane" mugs were used in the Kon-Tiki locations as well as The Luau. Least that is what I understand...belive Sven relates as much in BOT as well.

The "Bird of Paradise" is turned away on my shelf, to avoid direct eye-to-eye contact. The "Freaky Chicken" as I call it is just too damn freaky. Scares you if you look too long. That bird is ip-no-tyzin'!

midnite :drink:

Great threads never die, they simply need dusting off!

I go after rare and unusual more than valuable. Tiki Bob mugs appear in eBay all the time, but still bring around $100 a pop. But mugs that rarely show up for sale can be had for a song. I'm also into the historical mugs, like Spurlin—ones that played a key role in the development and history of the tiki scene—but these tend to be more sought after and harder to get.

Here's my top ten:

• Bumatay - Such an unusual mug, and yet so classically tiki in appearance. The details on them are wonderful. Save your pennies.
  • Don the Beachcomber bust - Even though these came later, they're about as close as you're going to get to a tiki mug from the grand daddy of tiki (short of their coconut or barrel mugs). That green glaze is killer, even if it is full of lead!
  • Tiki Bob - They're overvalued, but iconic. Considered by some to be the first "tiki" mug, although this is in doubt.
  • Frankoma War God - A design ahead of its time. That toothy grin would fit right in with the early Tiki Farm designs, only it's much more sculptural. The glazes are also very attractive. Plus, Frankoma had such an interesting history. Who else would produce a series of collector plates called "Teenagers of the Bible"? :)
  • Leilani - That's right, I said it. The fact that they're a dime a dozen doesn't diminish their intrinsic value. Let's face it, the Leilani mug is THE tiki mug due to it's ubiquitousness. Plus, there's a million variations. You could collect only Leilani mugs and stay busy for a long time.
  • Hawaiian Room - It's not the prettiest mug, but there's some evidence to indicate that this might in fact be the first tiki mug. It's certainly a contender.
  • Suffering Bastard - Designed by Trader Vic himself, and such a whimsical design. The original lava rock glaze is the one to shoot for.
  • Log - Tiki Farm's first production piece (the first limited run was the Dental mug). Like Tiki Bob on acid. Mark my words, someday this wide-eyed bad boy's going to be worth a mint.
  • Gecko Fat Lava anything - The glaze is to die for, and it'll be the standout of any collection. Priced accordingly.
  • Anything by Spurlin - Spurlin (aka Stella Bodey) made some of the first true tiki mugs, according to the guys at Oceanic Arts. Artistically they can be a bit ...sparse... And that glaze looks like an over-cooked cheese dog... but for the history and their association with some of the first tiki palaces, these have such a great story to tell.

I've spent way too much time thinking about this! :D

T
Tattoo posted on Sun, May 4, 2014 5:32 PM

Great list TickyTacky and thanks for reviving a fun old thread. You got me hook, line and sinker. In no particular order and just focusing on mugs here:

• Kona Kai Maori Mug - The detail of the original Otagiri version is just incredible and for me it optimizes the “Tiki Mug”. It actually looks like a carved Tiki in the shape of a mug. And I like that it is a Maori Tiki at that. Just awesome and pictures do not do it justice. Thin wall on it and hard to find without a crack I have found out...

• Bumatay - Just a super cool mug with incredible detail and a great Tiki.

• Langerman’s Luau Moai - You gotta have a Moai mug and this one is incredible.

• Mauna Loa Pidgeon - I just love all the Gabe Florian designed double walled mugs for the mauna Loa and Steve Crane Restaurants. They are my top ten but the Polynesian Pidgeon is my absolute favorite.

• Zombie Village - I’ve never seen one in person but it looks amazing. Daytime paradise on one side and nighttime pagan hell on the other. Yes please!

• Islander Spurlin Island Chief - All the Spurlin stuff is just cool but this is one is iconic. The handmade look and feel make these mugs a step above the rest.

• Tiki Bob - You gotta have Tiki Bob!

• Papua New Guinea Bird Drum Mug from Kalua Room/Mai Kai Drum Mug - This is a tie for me. Just a sucker for mugs based on actual South Pacific art objects miniaturized for drinking purposes.

• Trader Vic's Samoan Fogcutter by Vernon Kilns - Undoubtedly the nicest painted mug made. Feels classic and old school with incredible attention to detail. True craftsmanship here. And it’s Trader vic’s Hawaii!!!

• Luau 400 - Just cool and very different. The color and the look just feels very 60s. It’s tribal yet clean and space age.

10! Just 10?!

T

Great list! You've got some real winners in there. LOVE that Maori mug!

Have you seen the Tepco Fog Cutter? I think it may have actually been the inspiration for the Vernon Kilns mug. It has a beautiful Art Deco feel:

Here's the Vernon Kilns Samoan Fog Cutter for comparison:

(Pics from Ooga-Mooga, thanks to Tiki Royale and Loki-Tiki)

There's also the newer Tommy Bahama wahini mugs which have meticulous details but were made for collectors, not as giveaways, so they don't really count:

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-05-04 19:38 ]

T
Tattoo posted on Sun, May 4, 2014 8:29 PM

On 2014-05-04 19:28, TikiTacky wrote:

Have you seen the Tepco Fog Cutter? I think it may have actually been the inspiration for the Vernon Kilns mug. It has a beautiful Art Deco feel:

Here's the Vernon Kilns Samoan Fog Cutter for comparison:

(Pics from Ooga-Mooga, thanks to Tiki Royale and Loki-Tiki)

Indeed, the "tepco" (I don't think this is really verified - anyone know?) Fog Cutter is amazing as are all the really early Trader Vic's mugs and bowls. I was torn about including them but they are, to me, in a category of their own - as in unattainable (Kava Bowl, Gremlin Bowl!!!). The Vernon Kilns Fog Cutter is a bit more polished and has more in common with the super detailed "collectible only" mugs. They are air brushed together with very fine details that it makes it hard for me to believe they were actually used as server-ware and probably a gift shop item. I must admit I really like the more rough true bar used server-ware mugs.

T
Tattoo posted on Sun, May 4, 2014 8:55 PM

On 2014-05-04 19:28, TikiTacky wrote:

Yes, let's give a shout out to the Otagiri Maori Mug.

One of my favorites and I feel a bit under appreciated because of the less detailed Orchids of Hawaii copies. The real McCoy though is amazing!

The plane! The plane!

[ Edited by: Tattoo 2014-05-04 21:16 ]

T

Just added that Kona Kai guy to my wish list. And you're right, that Tepco mug might as well be a unicorn horn as far as collectibility goes. :)

I just nabbed one of my white whales over the weekend... Miehana!

Pages: 1 16 replies