Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

London terror bombings

Pages: 1 14 replies

Are our British friends okay? Please check in.

I read that the phone lines in London are down; I'd imagne that might affect the Internet as well.

Thanks for your concern, Satan's Sin. I'm fine up here, well away from London, but there are certainly Tiki Central members current & past who live there. Hopefully all are ok.

From what I understand, the police shut down the mobile phone network in central London, allowing just the emergency services to use mobiles (cell phones). So, the normal phone network and the internet should be working fine.

Trader Woody

C
Chrisc posted on Fri, Jul 8, 2005 1:20 AM

Thanks for your concern...
I'm all right, about 30 miles north of London in Bedfordshire. I could see police helicopters over Luton Airport from my office window yesterday, though.
I 'phoned a friend who is a nurse in London to see how she was, and it turned out she'd had the day off to have her car serviced. She'd had trouble getting home from the garage because of the transport situation, and frustratingly couldn't get back to work to offer help.
We've become pretty used to being told that an attack here at some time was inevitable, so we're being stoical about it.

Best wishes,

CHRIS.

Apart from Cheekytiki i think most of us live outside London (in my case waaaaay outside). All my London friends are alright, although one of them normally travels on the kings cross train at that time of day but had called in sick (drunk)and missed it all.

T

On 2005-07-08 06:36, atomictonytiki wrote:
... had called in sick (drunk)and missed it all.

Alcohol saves another life!

Seriously, this is a terrible event and I wish everyone all the best during this awful time.

M

wish everyone all the best during this awful time

Yes, much Tiki, and other, mojo to all Londoners and Brits affected by the terrorist attack. It was bad enough, but I am grateful that the bombings did not take many more lives.

On a related personal note, I was persuing the Ryanair website for flights from Dub-Lon for later this year when the attacks took place. It's going to be a "Midnite Christmas" in London this year. If we were to stop spending too many USD on fish 'n chips or Mai -Tais at the London Vic's: the terrorist bastards win.

As Johnson said: "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life..."

midnite

As a resident of New York City, I remember the events of Sept. 11 very well and how it affected life here for months, if not years afterwards, and I can empathize with our brothers and sisters across the pond. Best wishes to all.

T

I'm relieved that you and yours are OK Trader Woody and all the rest of the UK ohana.

This kind of thing can drive a man to drink.

:(

Glad to see everyone is safe. It took about 9 hours for a good pal of ours to get word out that he was safe too.

Thanks to all you guys. It makes a big difference knowing that there are people across the ocean rooting for you.

Thankfully the number of fatalities are somewhat 'small' compared to what happened in New York, Madrid, and Bali, but it's always worrying when you think of family and friends living in a place that has had such a sudden blow. I'm hoping Cheekytiki, Theandrewssister, and LondonVic are all fine, not to mention all the Tikiphiles in London that I know of who don't post.

Anyway, I'm incredibly proud of the way the emergency services handled themselves in such a nightmare situation. Multiple bombs, but a reaction of calm & efficiency saving multiple lives. The British public as well have gone straight back to work, getting on with their day to day business and living their lives in freedom. I live far away from London these days but will go there at the first opportunity and use the buses and tube there as there is no way that we'll let a few woefully misguided cunts change our lives.

Onward and upward,
Trader Woody

A
Artiki posted on Fri, Jul 8, 2005 3:51 PM

Hi Woody, hope you're well.

I'll second what Woody said about our emergency services, they are second to none with this kind of emergency. Until fairly recently, the UK's emergency services were always on alert for terrorist activities from much closer to home. The only way these activities stopped was through negotiation and compromise...it took thirty years and many dead, but eventually folk came to their senses.
I am currently waiting to raise my glass to the first polititian from any country and/or religion who decides to make that first step here.

All my friends in London have reported in, safe and well. Many people I don't know will never call in to their loved ones and I feel terribly sad because of that.

Thanks for reading my post.

All our prayers are with during this difficult time.
God Bless

On 2005-07-08 10:27, Tiki-bot wrote:

On 2005-07-08 06:36, atomictonytiki wrote:
... had called in sick (drunk)and missed it all.

Alcohol saves another life!

Damn right, Freakily enough I have a friend who teaches english in Madrid who woke up after a bender to discover that the train he would have taken to work that morning had been bombed.

Better late than never, but we are fine.
London as a whole seems to have picked itself back on to its feet, and got on with life, which is good.
Thanks for the thoughts

Pages: 1 14 replies