Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

7/28 Emeryville Trader Vic - First Inaugural Monthly Bay Area Trader Vics Get Together

Pages: 1 42 replies

I've heard it's like "herding cats" trying to get the Bay Area ohana together for a monthly get together - but hey our peeps in Chicago and Atlanta can do it, why can't we?

I want to gauge interest in whether we should get this going.

Poll:

Who has interest in meeting once a month at the Trader Vics in Emeryville on a Thursday or Friday night? If so, do you prefer Thus or Fri night? Also, what would work better - 2nd week of month or last week of month (or any other options?)

It is so nice to get there on a Thus or Fri night after work and watch the sun go down, and gently battle with the folks at the table next to you over whether the blinds go up or down!

Man who sleeps with lizard on head dreams much of lizards.

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 2005-07-08 16:51 ]

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 2005-07-09 08:35 ]

T

I would be very interested in such a thing.

I vote for Thursday because it would be less crowded, and also so I can attend and still get out of town for the weekend if I want.

Which week isn't terribly important but I sometimes go to LA for Club Satisfaction the 2nd. Friday each month so I may need stay home and pack on the 2nd. Thursday of the month.

Some time ago JT posted the following about a special early/late happy hour at Trader Vic's. We should call and see if it still happens. I could never get there before 6 but I could see myself arriving late at 10 for $5 Mai Tais!

Tara O'Leary sent me this info for you San Franciscans:

"
Great news from Trader Vic's San Francisco...

555 Golden Gate (formerly Star's)

Happy Hour
Mon-Fri.
3:30pm-6pm
10-12:30pm
$5.00
Mai Tai's
Tonga Punch
Bahia
and always a surprise pu-pu...
"

Thanks for the info!

I don't know if Emeryville does a happy hour like the SF TV's does; but I'm sure if enough of us show up consistently, we can negotiate one.

I'm new, so I realise I have only a small voice here, but we (my husband & I) would love to meet up with other Bay Area peoples on Thursdays (Emeryville, please, since we're in East Oakland?).

How FUN!!

T

Thursdays!

Greetings from North Bay.

Would love to start meeting other TC ohana on a regular basis. I would prefer Thursdays as well. Please count me in!

Myke

MT

That sounds great! Coco Loco and I are in. Since we live in the East Bay, the Emeryville location would be more convenient for us, but we'd also be in for the San Francisco location as well.

Thursdays sound more appealing to us than Fridays.

Not to complicate matters, but if the Trader Vic's Emeryville location won't give us the happy hour, then maybe we could rotate locations? Just throwing that one out there.

Keen - so when's the first meeting?!

Let's shoot for last Thurs of the month, starting this month 7/28, at 7 pm, in the bar area, at Emeryville TV.

Yay!

Should we name it? "Get together" seems so un-TC.

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 2005-07-08 16:51 ]

M

"Trader Vic's Tiki (Last) Thursdays" ? now, someone can do better than that

T

"Thursday's Rum Eruption"? SOunds kinda dirty.

hmmm...we might actually be able to make this.
and a possible after-party in whatever hotel we decide to stay in. hmmmmm....

T

On 2005-07-11 16:51, tikicleen wrote:

That would be keen cleen!

On 2005-07-11 16:51, tikicleen wrote:
and a possible after-party in whatever hotel we decide to stay in. hmmmmm....

I have a king sized bed in my guest bedroom you guys are welcome to use.

On 2005-07-11 16:28, mrsmiley wrote:
"Trader Vic's Tiki (Last) Thursdays" ? now, someone can do better than that

How about Last Chance Thursdays? Or Pre-pay day drinking? Something about "on the bay"?

I have "TV Night" written on my calendar, but that makes me sound like a television junkie (I am, but I'm in rehab).

Plus, I have something to celebrate - I just made purple belt in my karate class!

Man who sleeps with lizard on head dreams much of lizards.

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 2005-07-12 12:25 ]

On 2005-07-12 12:24, dangergirl299 wrote:

On 2005-07-11 16:28, mrsmiley wrote:
"Trader Vic's Tiki (Last) Thursdays" ?

How about Last Chance Thursdays? Or Pre-pay day drinking? Something about "on the bay"?

Vegas has an event called "First Friday" which is held on...can you guess...THE FIRST FRIDAY of each month! SO something like "Trader Vic's Last (Chance) Thursday" would remind everyone when it is held! Something like that gets my vote! :)

I just got an invite that one of the local bar associations I belong to is having an "open house" that same night - it should be over right as OUR get together begins!

coincidences like these make me feel I'm on the right Life Path...

!

please note you can only take advantage of their free pupus and mai tais if you are an attorney (or look like one)

I think this sounds f-aaa-nnntastic.

So we'll probably make it.

Scott and Cleen--do come!!! It'd be so great to see you two. It's in the wrong direction I know, but we have a guest room too. With this many options, how can you miss it? :)

xox tikivixen

On 2005-07-17 13:20, tikivixen wrote:
I think this sounds f-aaa-nnntastic.

So we'll probably make it.

Scott and Cleen--do come!!! It'd be so great to see you two. It's in the wrong direction I know, but we have a guest room too. With this many options, how can you miss it? :)

xox tikivixen  

Groovy!

Who else is planning on making it next Thursday?

Is this still happening?
Where is the after party hotel?

On 2005-07-24 14:28, Unga Bunga wrote:
Is this still happening?
Where is the after party hotel?

of COURSE it's happening, darlin!

I would assume the after party hotel is whereever you're staying.... :wink:

H

Looks like Hanford & I will be coming up for this. See you guys soon!

On 2005-07-08 16:50, dangergirl299 wrote:
Let's shoot for last Thurs of the month, starting this month 7/28, at 7 pm, in the bar area, at Emeryville TV.

Yay!

Zazz

I'm commin up!
What was that hotel we stayed at during the bar crawl?
Anyone wanna split a room?
Hope to see some old friends.

unga it is called the four points. there is also a holiday inn there as well.

sounds like an excellent crowd!

I'll see you all tonight around 7ish in the bar area to watch the sun go down. Bring your sunglasses.

See y'all around sevenish!

tikivixen

MT

Sunglasses on. 8) See ya there!

M

I just got this email from Otto ;
"Bruce, Just got a call from Bernard

Be sure to say Hi to him and introduce yourself

They do not do Happy Hour anymore but will offer $6 Mai Tais to
our group
during the 7 - 10 party"

$6
Mai-tai's ZAZZ!!!!!!! :) see you all soon!

MT

That's not just zazz, that's Double Zazz!!! I'm off work starting NOW!!! Sunglasses still on. See ya there!

M

unga bunga unga bunga mai tai mai tai....

You guys proved once again;
I LOVE TIKIS!
Thanks DG for a great event.

On 2005-07-29 01:35, Unga Bunga wrote:
You guys proved once again;
I LOVE TIKIS!
Thanks DG for a great event.

Thanks for coming out Unga - it was great to see you again.

It was great to see the old gang and some new faces as well!

Special thanks to behind the scenes tiki "pixies" Bruce and Otto for the making the reservations and the discounted mai tais.

My brain is still a little foggy, but I don't remember drinking anything. I think I left my credit card at the Conga Lounge.

it was a fine time and a pleasure to see everyone! thanks dg and everyone else who was involved in the planning. i'd also like to thank the jab for carting us around and putting us up for the night at the tropical tradewinds of alameda.

also want to apologize to everyone for being an annoying drunk. normally i just forget to get on the bus!

see everyone here in the valley next month for our monthly gathering. the date is still tbd.

Mahalo to everyone me & my husaband (who has yet to choose a TC name)met! And big props to those who travelled from far off lands (like Vallejo & Los Angeles) just to sip Maitais together. We had a hoot and a half - I so wish we could have continued the adventure to the Conga Lounge. Where did people go after that?

M & B: We'll see you at the City o' Alameda's Fire Dept Pancake Breakfast tomorrow. mmmmmm!

M

On 2005-07-30 08:04, Haole'akamai wrote:
Mahalo to everyone me & my husband (who has yet to choose a TC name)met! We had a hoot and a half - I so wish we could have continued the adventure to the Conga Lounge. Where did people go after that?

Nice meeting you two, Haole'akamai! The Conga was fun, I left early (about 12:30?) so I don't know if anything happened after that.
Otto has come up with an "interactive" idea (he is SO new Millenium!) about future drink specials. He was thinking that those who attend chose choose their favorite drink for NEXT time fro ma list of about ten. The winning drink will be the next months special. That way, if you don't show up in August, for example, you can
t pick September's special!
I do want to thank Sven Koch and Bernard from Trader Vics for offering the Mai-Tai special to us with only about 8 hours advance notice to them! That is customer service!! They are ZAZZ!!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2005-07-30 14:06 ]

On 2005-07-30 13:59, mrsmiley wrote:
Otto has come up with an "interactive" idea (he is SO new Millenium!) about future drink specials. He was thinking that those who attend chose choose their favorite drink for NEXT time fro ma list of about ten. The winning drink will be the next months special. That way, if you don't show up in August, for example, you can

Thanks for keeping me posted on how you are helping out with MY monthly idea... (ahem ahem... :wink: )

Starting next month we are officially adding Conga Lounge to the line-up (i.e. Trader Vics around 7-9:30 ish; Conga Lounge thereafter) becauase Conga Lounge ROCKS and Mike has graciously offered a special TC discount on a drink and food item - details are still being worked out...

I am so making sure I can get to The Conga Lounge this time (even if it means taxi-ing myself home, dang nabitt!)....

So we're for sure on for August 25th?

(this is so cool....)

M

On 2005-08-01 11:09, dangergirl299 wrote:

On 2005-07-30 13:59, mrsmiley wrote:

Thanks for keeping me posted on how you are helping out with MY monthly idea... (ahem ahem... :wink: )

Starting next month we are officially adding Conga Lounge to the line-up (i.e. Trader Vics around 7-9:30 ish; Conga Lounge thereafter) because Conga Lounge ROCKS and Mike has graciously offered a special TC discount on a drink and food item - details are still being worked out...

The Conga Lounge "afterparty" is a great addition. I am glad to help out with the Trader Vics event. If you ever think that I am overstepping my bounds in helping plan (or whatever) this continuing Trader Vic's event, let me know, and I will gladly sit back and do nothing other than show up. I won't know if I step on anyone toes, so to speak, unless they tell me. Thanks. :)

No worries, Bruce~ Just want to make sure we're not separately negotiating a discount on the same drink or food at two different places in one night, etc. We TC'ers love our variety, especially in drinks! :) Please continue to keep all of us posted on your arrangements with Trader Vics.

We are ON for August 25th! I will post a new thread on it around 2 weeks prior to the event.

M

Cool, DG. Lookin' forward to the 25th!

July's get-together was unbelievably fun!!! Can't wait for August's installment, needless to say--we'll be there. I like the 'pick next month's drink' idea. In fact, it had occurred to me. Seems like a good way to keep things lively! Is that for both places or TV's only?

Humungous thanks to Dangergirl for a wonderful event! and appreciation goes also to the Bruce/Otto Tiki Team for their ever-so-helpful contribution. I STILL think the Mai Tai is TV's finest hour. I am ALWAYS happy to have a six buck Mai Tai. Even if the hamburgers take an hour...:D! :D!!! :P

Bill and I spent a quiet Tuesday evening at the Conga this week with our favorite bartender (the gentleman otherwise known as Conga Paul) and we are so pleased to make the Conga a regular Last Thursday stop! (Thanks Jab for a sample Scorpion sip there, btw; I ordered one Tuesday night. Yum. I'll vote Scorpion first for my Conga drink!)

Unga, it is always a pleasure to see you! DH, you are a FUNNY drunk but not an annoying one. Martiki, if you want to carpool from our house next time, you'd be welcome. It was funny seeing 'FGCUTTR' zzzoom by us, heading home on I-80. :wink:We were driving, er, sedately.

Haole, so nice to 're-meet' you after all these years! At a subsequent luncheon with DG and other friends, we realized another member of that party knew you from somewhere too! I think you are famous (as in legendary, not notorious although that might be keen too).

see y'all soon! tikivixen

H

Just found these pics from our get-together a couple months ago:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/julyeastbay/

Pages: 1 42 replies