Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Who do you think would make the best new member to a Hawaiian band?

Pages: 1 4 replies

If your favorite Hawaiian music band were looking for a new guitar player, who do you think would have the most impact?

Some names I have considered are:
"Fast" Eddie Clark of Fastway, Yngwie Malmsteen, Vinnie Vincent of Kiss (replaced Ace Freley during the "Creatures of the Night" tour. He had the Egyptian Onk painted on his face.), & Randy Rhodes (the Quiet Riot years, not Ozzy)?

Before you answer, don't forget to think about which person's guitar solo style would most "mesh" with that of the band's traditional Hawaiian style.

M

My first instinct is to tell Brian May to give up on working with Paul Rodgers as the new Queen frontman and join a Hawaiian band. After all, he does play uke on "Good Company" from "A Night at the Opera".

If Brian isn't interested, I'd have to go with Night Ranger's Brad Gillis (Jeff Watson couldn't handle a Bm7sus).

If that doesn't work out, perhaps Robin George (wouldn't "Heartline" on the uke just be dreamy?!)

A

Ernest Ranglin - smooth & nimble guitarist
or
Henry Kaiser - psychotic string manipulations
or
Elliot Sharp - fibonacci meets hawaiian eccentricities

...imagine the possiblities!

Steve Albini?

Honestly, it would work well.

Trader Woody

J

If he hadn't taken the Night Train to the big adios, I'd have to say Danny Gatton. The guy was an incredible talent and his skills would have worked brilliantly in a Hawaiian band.

Pages: 1 4 replies