Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Pages: 1 16 replies

T

When enough years had gone by to enable us to look back on them, we sometimes discussed the events leading to his accident. I maintain that the Ewells started it all, but Jem, who was four years my senior, said it started long before that . He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out.

"Maycomb was an old town, but it was a tired old town when I first knew it. In rainy weather the streets turned to red slop; grass grew on the sidewalks, the courthouse sagged in the square. Somehow it was hotter then: a black dog suffered on a summers day; bony mules hitched to Hoover carts flicked flies in the sweltering shade of the live oaks on the square. Men's stiff collars wilted by nine in the morning. Ladies bathed before noon, after their three-o'clock naps, and by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frostings of sweat and sweet talcum." Page 5

D

"I went to kick him in the shins,but I aimed too high,and was surprised to see the man wince in genuine pain."Atticus said,"Scout don't kick folks."

When he gave us our air-rifles Atticus wouldn't teach us to shoot. Uncle Jack instructed us in the rudiments thereof; he said Atticus wasn't interested in guns. Atticus said to Jem, "I'd rather you shot at tin cans in the back yard, but I know you'll go after birds. Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit ‘em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird." That was the only time I ever hear Atticus say it was a sin to do something, and I asked Miss Maudie about it. "You're father's right," she said. "Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corncribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mocking bird."

"Call me Ishmael."

D

Miss Maudie made a Lane cake so loaded with shinney it made me tight.

Good laudie miss Maudie! Was "To Kill A Mockingbird" Robert Duval's 1st movie? The TV series "The Twilight Zone" had an episode where two children dived into the family pool and came up in a friendly, downhome place run by a kindly old lady. The girl was the same actress that played "Sport" in To Kill A Mockingbird and her name was also "Sport" in the TZ episode. I wonder which came 1st...the Zone or the Bird?

D

You're thinking of Scout.

On 2005-07-10 18:09, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Good laudie miss Maudie! Was "To Kill A Mockingbird" Robert Duval's 1st movie? The TV series "The Twilight Zone" had an episode where two children dived into the family pool and came up in a friendly, downhome place run by a kindly old lady. The girl was the same actress that played "Sport" in To Kill A Mockingbird and her name was also "Sport" in the TZ episode. I wonder which came 1st...the Zone or the Bird?

Her name was Sport in the TZ episode and Scout in TKAM. The TZ episode was very weird, all the outdoor scenes were dubbed by some adult actress, and it was really bad. I think it was Robert Duvall's first movie, because it says "introducing Robert Duvall as Boo Radley" We have the dvd, Atticus Finch is our role model as future parents (we've both given up on our own parents :wink:

You're right docwoods & mrs. p. You gotta admit though that "Sport" and "Scout" are pretty damn close.

D

Absolutely very close-and not common names for little girls.

"i'll never read a book again after to kill a mockingbird, did not give me any advice of how to kill a mockingbird" - Homer Simpson

DZ

On 2005-07-11 05:15, docwoods wrote:
Absolutely very close-and not common names for little girls.

Our very own Tikifille (carver extraordinaire, now too busy teachin' high-school kids how to carve to post here much...) has a daughter named Scout.

I f baby Pineapple had been a girl, she would be named Harper, because I love that book. And Demi Moore took Scout, which would have been my first choice. Mr. Pineapple wasn't so sure about Harper though. We were kind of relieved he's a boy, we had already agreed on a name :)

Actually, the girl's name was 'Spout'...

On 2005-07-11 12:34, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Actually, the girl's name was 'Spout'...

Demi Moore's kid is named SPOUT? I think it was Sprout, maybe?
No, wait, that was the Jolly Green Giant.

"I think I'll be a clown when I get grown," said Dill. "Yes, sir, a clown.... There ain't one thing in this world I can do about folks except laugh, so I'm gonna join the circus and laugh my head off." "You got it backwards, Dill," said Jem. "Clowns are sad, it's folks that laugh at them." "Well, I'm gonna be a new kind of clown. I'm gonna stand in the middle of the ring and laugh at the folks."

Nobody knew what form of intimidation Mr.Radley employed to keep Boo out of sight,but Jem figured that Mr.Radley kept him chained to the bed most of the time.Atticus said no,it wasn't that sort of thing,that there were other ways of making people into ghosts.

Pages: 1 16 replies