Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Comic-Con (San Diego, CA) July 14-17

Pages: 1 10 replies

Anyone going? Although I've known tons of people over the last 15+ years that have gone, I have never gone myself. Well, now I work for a small concept art book publisher that will have a sizable booth there. I will be there partly for business, partly pleasure. So I'm seeing if anyone else here goes and what day they might be there for possible meet ups. Unfortunately, the only day I can go is Friday. If I am at our booth (#1701) it would probably be around lunch time to help out during lunch breaks. Here's the website:
http://www.comic-con.org/index.php

Otherwise, anyone interested in conceptual artists who've worked on major sci-fi, fantasy and horror films might want to check out our booth as many of the artists will be there. That includes designers that worked on Star Wars I,II & III, the Alien movies, the Batman movies, and the upcoming The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe among many others. The company website is:
http://www.designstudiopress.com/
and they'll be in booth #1701. There's not much on the website now, but there's 4 more books coming out in the next couple of months. Three will be premiered at Comic-Con.

Anyway, Atomic Cocktail and I will be there (at the convention, but not necessarily at the booth) if anyone else is going. (And yes, I'll be wearing an Atomic Cocktail costume. Oh, and Atomic also has done a ton of work for another company there, Sideshow Collectibles. If you go to their booth, you'll see his needlework in the Classic Movie Monsters series, the Planet of the Apes series, James Bond series and 1960s TV show characters like Maxwell Smart of Get Smart to name a few.)

[ Edited by: vintagegirl 2005-07-11 20:50 ]

MG

I'll be there Thursday and Friday for sure and maybe Saturday.

For those of you who havn't been, this is the largest convention in San Diego and they're expecting around 80,000 people to attend this year. I'm not even really into commics and I couldn't get through it in one day. If you don't have a pass yet, get there early. The line is CRAZY! I've seen it wrap around the convetion center and into Seaport Village. I'm guessing about a half mile long. Definately worth checking out. Lots of cool art and stuff to say the least.

Ragnar will have a booth (Little Cartoons) and Bob Lizzaraga. Anyone else having a booth or going?

Lets try to hook up.

I just registered online!
I thought would be to late, but it wasn't. Now all I need to do is pick up my badge. If you register online tonight, you can go to "preview night" Wednesday night from 6-9.

I'll see ya Friday Vintage Girl...

OK, this is totally off topic, but the mention of Seaport Village caught my eye. Does anyone know if the old Kansas City BBQ is still across from there. If they are do they still offer 25 cent shots of Night Train when the Train goes by the place? Ahhh...the vapor fumes!

T

I used to bartend at Jolly Roger in Seaport Village. Aaargh!

stop by and say hello to Tim Bradstreet. He and I went to college together years ago. tell him dave in chicago says hello....It'll freak him out...

Does Tim have his own booth there? How can we find him?

This is an event that I normally attend, but this year things are not working out. I will be in Sunnyvale and Sacramento this weekend, which is the wrong compass direction. Work commitments will keep me from going tomorrow. Oh well. Next year, I guess.

MG

Lisa and I are celebrating our birthdays at the Bali Hai Sunday at 7pm. Anyone going to Comic-Con on Sunday (or even if your not going to Comic-Con) stop by and have a Mai Tai with us. My birthday is Sunday night July 17 and my wife Lisa's is Monday morning July 18. We are only 11 hours and 17 minutes apart, isn't that cute!!!

On 2005-07-13 18:13, vintagegirl wrote:
Does Tim have his own booth there? How can we find him?

artist alley - booth bb-10.....

you may recognize tim's work about vampires, clive barker book covers and most recently, the punisher movie posters from last year, among other things.....stop by any comic shop and chances are his work is somewhere in there....either in book form or on t-shirts. he's developed quite the rep over the years. I try to catch him during the comicon in chicago each year.

Pages: 1 10 replies