Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

San Francisco ALOHA Festival 8/6-7/05

Pages: 1 8 replies

A few weeks away, but for anyone in the Bay Area thats interested...

SAN FRANCISCO ALOHA FESTIVAL
Saturday & Sunday
August 6-7, 2005
10:am-5:00pm
FREE ADMISSION

More info:
http://sanfranciscoalohafestival.org/AlohaFest/index.html

We just got off the waitlist so well be there exhibiting! Hope to see you there!
Aloha-Gina Coconut Kiss

Dont forget this festival for all you Northern CA peeps!

I think I might go to this on Sunday. Is anyone else? Want to meet up?

Wow! What a wonderful event! We attended the Aloha Festival on Saturday, Aug 6, along with about 200,000 other people. Driving in from the North Bay, we arrived around 12 noon, to find most of the parking lots already full and long lines of cars waiting. Missing a turn for the overflow parking area, we ended up in the WMCA parking lot without an attendant and lots of parking. Thank the tiki gods!

Upon entering the grounds, we stopped to listen to the chanting and watched the dancers on stage, and marveled at the number of people there for the event. As we got to the main green there were thousands more people sitting on their blankets or in chairs enjoying themselves... eating, listening to the music, eating, chatting with others, showing off their new purchases from the vendors surrounding the grassy area, and eating. There were vendors from all over selling their wares... leis fresh from Hawai'i, rolls of Hawaiian print fabrics, plants, jewelry, Hawaiian trinkets of all kinds, and some tikis. Of those selling mugs, salt & pepper shakers, carvings, etc, none of the vendors were on Tiki Central, though they all said they had heard of us. I purchased a tiki night light, made from 6" dia bamboo, with the eyes and mouth cut out, and a bamboo mat inside to defuse the light. It stands about 16-18 in tall, and is really cool. I did locate some vintage mugs there, but mostly common stuff like Leilani's, though I did find a vintage scorpion bowl from Trader Vics marked at $100.

In the back area, there were 40-50 booths that sold all kinds of Hawaiian foods... from laulau and kalua pork, to shaved ices, to macaroni salad and Hawaiian Sun beverages. The smells were incredible!

This was the first year I attended. Next year, we arrive early, layered to keep warm, armed with blankets for the grass, and ready to spend the entire day soaking up aloha. Did it ever get sunny in the late afternoon?

Hey! We are on Tiki Central and we were vendors at this event Booth # 64! We just drove in (took us 7 hours!) but I must say that I agree that this was a FANTASTIC event! My booth was slammed ALL day Saturday (literally) and Sunday I was actually able to eat a few bites of my teriyaki chicken while watching Scott man the booth. We had so much fun and the Ohana spirit was definitely present. Its so great to be around such a fun and happy group of people. There's another one in San Diego coming up that is put on by the same Foundation, PICA. I suggest that if you are in SO CA, drop on by-it will be worth it! Thanks to those that came by! Nick-there was a lot of interest in Tiki Magazine so hopefully you will get even MORE subscriptions! I sold a bunch of Issue # 2 so I will tally it up and give to you at the Tiki fest in Long Beach this month. ALOHA!!!!

I went as well, on Sunday. Lots of stuff to see and buy. I didn't get anything but one of those Filipino-centric joke T-shirts. I had some kaluha pork. It was really really good! I was looking for tiki mugs as well, but I didn't see much except for the ones labeled by The Nugget.

SF Aloha Festival 2006!! Saturday and Sunday, Aug 5 & 6, at the Presidio again. We will be going earlier this year, as last year the parking was difficult mostly due to the few routes available to get into the Presidio. We had loads of fun last year but remember to bring a blanket to sit on so you can watch the shows.

Anyone planning on attending or selling?

http://www.pica-org.org/AlohaFest/

• Myke

How old are you if you didn't know how old you are??

[ Edited by: tikiwinebear 2006-07-12 11:29 ]

great festival with outstanding entertainment from local Hoike's, northern california bands as well as musicians from the islands. We'll be a vendor there 'Aloha Current' (not sure of booth number). We'll be staying the night somewhere on Lombard close to the Presidio. There's choke restaurant/clubs on union, but maybe a trip to Vics, or Tonga Room if anyone's interested.

Unfortunately I won't be vending this year :(
Just can't get time off to travel north, but if anyone is up in the Bay Area, I highly suggest you go! Its a GREAT event!

For those of you that AREN'T going to Catalina in Aug, please come by the Tiki Beach Fest in Long Beach! We'll be there with some new items. It'll be great-here's a link with more info:

http://alfredosbeachclub.com/tiki_festival.htm

ALOHA!

Pages: 1 8 replies