Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Never mind, move along. Nothing left to see.

Pages: 1 35 replies

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 16:04 ]

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 16:05 ]

Welcome to the Hukilau 2005 Home Bar Tour Ticket Challenge!

Here's your chance to match wits with your fellow tikiphiles for tickets to join us for the Hukilau 2005 Home Bar Tour. The Home Bar Tour will begin on Sunday, October 9, 2005, at 4:00 pm and will last for 6 hours (maybe 7 or 8). Ride in style and comfort on our very own S.S. Hukilau with the musical stylings of the incomparable King Kukulele and special guests Haole Kats as we take you on a exciting trip to see four south Florida homes - the tour is limited to 52 people. Good food, excellent drinks and a fabulous time will be enjoyed by the lucky winners. Bring your ukulele and make this a truly unforgettable trip!

There will be four (4) questions asked, by email, with a fifth tie-breaker question. Please do not respond to this email with your answers, they will not be counted! Respond with your answer to [email protected]. You have three life-lines so feel free to poll the audience if needed.

How many islands or island nations are represented by the different rooms  
of the Mai-Kai?

Remember, send your answers to [email protected] no later than Friday, July 22nd! Sending your answers anywhere else may be cause for social embarrassment or public harassment. Correct answers will be asked
the next questions in the following weeks, about a week apart each. If you get your answer wrong, you will be excluded from further emails. Thank you for playing and we do hope you enjoy the other fabulous events we have
planned for the Hukilau.

If you have any questions, please email to [email protected]

Good Luck!

Tiki Kiliki

How about if I just pay ya $10 extra for a ticket? :D

S

On 2005-07-19 11:55, Unga Bunga wrote:
How about if I just pay ya $10 extra for a ticket? :D

See Rule 7 above.

I have two home bar tour tickets for sale on Ebay right now. Search for words; Shag, retro, Eames-era, mid-century modern, tiki, and Sven!

On 2005-07-19 14:51, FOOLFORTIKIS wrote:
I have two home bar tour tickets for sale on Ebay right now. Search for words; Shag, retro, Eames-era, mid-century modern, tiki, and Sven!

I don't get it Bruce - it's not April Fools today, is it?

Well Done Everyone! This was actually a trick question....

If you said five, we will give you one half point and let you keep playing.

If you said six, you get a full point.

If you said seven, eight, or nine, you get bonus points!

The main dinning rooms are Samoa, Tahiti, Tonga, Hawaii, New Guinea/New Zealand and Moorea.

Tahiti and Moorea are in 'the back' and not part of the main dinning room. You have seen them on your way out to the gardens, but you may not have actually been seated in them, you can't see the show.

The sixth room, and this is the trick part of the question, is the Molokai bar. One could argue that Molokai is a Hawaiian island, and you would be correct. But it is a separate room and they will serve you dinner if you choose.

And the others...

When you first pull into the Mai-Kai, there is the Bora-Bora room to your right. It can be reserved for private parties and corporate events. I imagine few of you have actually gotten a change at the inside of it, but several entertaining rumors persist in spite of that fact.

If we are going to count the Molokai as a separate island, we might as well count Lanai. The Mai-Kai gardens can be considered the Lanai and would therefore count as number eight on our list. Moan and groan if you must, but we didn't say this was going to be easy.

And then number Nine... (Some Mai-Kai trivia for you) What is now the gift shop used to be a private dinning area for V.I.P.'s and was called the Bangkok dinning room. It has been the gift shop since the eighties, but Hazel and the ladies insisted we count this room as well.

Now then, on two question number Two:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  
Who wrote the Hukilau Song, and when.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember, this is an open book test. But, it is still frowned upon to look at your neighbors answer. Cheaters never win, at least not after the drug test. You still have three life-lines left. Would you like to poll the audience?

Respond with your answers to [email protected] no later than Friday, August 5th.

If you have any questions, send an email to [email protected].

Mahalo, and Good Luck!

[The World of Tiki Kiliki](http://www.tikikiliki.com)

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki  2005-07-30 13:21 ]

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 16:03 ]

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 16:06 ]

PI

I love seeing the Mara Amu on tour.

I have a picture of my dog sniffing one of mine while she wears a lei.

Due to some technical difficulties with the mail server the final deadline for your answers to the final Home Bar Tour question has been extended to Monday, September 12 - midnight.

If you have not done so already, send your answers to [email protected] - do not send your answers to any Hukilau email address, like I said, we are experiencing problems and I do want to apologize for all of the problems for those of you that have experienced them.

The final tie-breaker question is:

Name one of the two Captains of the Molokai Bar at the Mai-Kai.

Bonus points if you get both of them!

Remember, this is an open book test. Cheating is allowed, but if you get caught cheating we get to make fun of you.

We have nine (9) seats still available for the Home Bar Tour. If you would like to find out more, send an email to .

We are still awaiting conformations from a few people so it is possible that a few more seats could come available. Stay Tuned!

There are still a few seats available. Those that have gotten your email instructions, don't wait!

And, a few more pictures of some of our fabulous host homes....

Mara-Amu hanging with the 'homies

Nice bar!

Come here often?

If you are interested in joining us, please email for more details.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2012-05-01 20:33 ]

For those of you that have completed your registration, we will have your tickets and program information at the Hukilau Check-in.

And! There are still a couple of seats available. If you have gotten your invitation, but haven't completed your registation you better hurry. With the extra two stops just added you are not going to want to miss this tour!

And, if you are a brave soul and willing to take a gamble, there will be two seats available in the Hukilau auction.

If you would like to join us, send an email to [email protected] today!

A last little teaser for you....

If you would like to bring your swimwear with you on the Home Tour, the lagoon awaits you at our place.

The lagoon is a warm 86 degrees, the air is a balmy 90 degrees and the humidity is a lovely 60 percent.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Hukilau!

K

Hey Chip and Andy -- will Haole Kats be playing out there by your GORGEOUS lagoon!? Man, I hope the weather is cooperating on Sunday! Can't wait.

PS: are your neighbors cool?

;>)

Of course, we can always play smooooth and melloooow, too.

Kanekila

On 2005-10-03 19:02, Kanekila wrote:
Hey Chip and Andy -- will Haole Kats be playing out there by your GORGEOUS lagoon!? Man, I hope the weather is cooperating on Sunday! Can't wait.

PS: are your neighbors cool?

The Haole Kats will play a short set by the lagoon, and we are hoping they can play some pool-side surf tunes!

The weather should be perfect (a bit breezy maybe) and the neighbors are invited. They can't complain if they are with us!

Looking forward to the party!

Mahalo to all of our guests from all of our host homes of the Hukilau 2005 Home Bar Tour. We all do hope you enjoyed your trip and we all look forward to seeing you again.

We, as the host homes, all have a favor to ask.... Please email us some of your photos from todays trip. Or, tell us where we can go on the web to see your photos. As hosts and hostesses of the host homes we didn't get to see all of you individually or get to take too many pictures of our own of you, our guests. We so much want to see the trip through your eyes and see what we have that sparked your interest and what caught your imagination.

We all had so much fun having you as our guests and we look forward to seeing all of you again in the future.

Mahalo a Nui
Hukilau 2005 Home Bar Tour

[email protected]

Three Cheers for Chip and Andy for putting together this amazing component of Hukilau!

A few highlights:

Singing to Kern in his living room...

Pia and Crazy Al shaking their booties in the flash typhoon...

The chow at Pia's...

Pia running about with a giant Hieneken umbrella getting people to the bus...

DJ Del's music: quietest thing since the silent auction - and then the unexpected appearance of Throbbing Gristle (or was that Casey feeding back on the mic in the bus?)...

Haole Kats on the patio...

The Jab mixing drinks at Kiliki's amazing little pad the Sunken Pearl...

Kiliki's amazing little pad the Sunken Pearl...

The antics of King K and Charles Phoenix on the bus...

Eight men and two women doing an Esther Young tribute, right into Chip and Andy's pool...

Amazing drinks designed by Chip...

and...

Souvenir pint glasses!

Yeeeaaaahhhhh!

Thanks Chip and Andy!!!

The home bar tour was indeed amazing. I was awed and inspired by the various amounts of retro, vintage and historical items. Thanks again to Christie, James, the hosts for the home tour and all those who made this year's Hukilau possible.

K

Yes -- thank you to all who were involved in making the Home Bar Tour happen!

On behalf of the rest of Haole Kats!!! and myself, I want to extend a sincere apology to Chip and Andy, and all the rest of the folks on the tour, that we just couldn't make it to Chip and Andy's place to play one more time at their beautiful bar/pool for the last leg of the tour. The rain delay in getting all of our gear packed up and loaded set us back by over an hour, and with each passing minute, we were growing more and more unbelievably tired. Like marathon runners, we had just physically hit the wall.

In any case, I'm sorry we missed that, but again, our apologies for runnin' outta gas, and not making it down to your place. I'm sure it was beautiful. I have to say, I'm still feeling strung out today (Tuesday), and am thinking a few days of no booze and lots of sleep are needed!

Hukilau was amazing. The bands were all amazing. You guys are amazing. Just an incredible, fun time.

Mahalo.
Kanekila

Gee, Kanekila, I just can't imagine HOW y'all could have been tired - you only performed and hauled loaned gear EVERY DAY for us!! Thanks for perfect volume, perfect taste, and perfect attitudes. You really enhanced Hukilau in every way.

And huge mahalos to Kern and family, Pia and Tiing-A-Ling, Christie, and Chip and Andy for having us in your lovely homes.

My personal fave moments:

** Our greeting at Kern's door by his gracious children, all placing, um, lei's (sort of) 'round our necks.

** Seeing the photo album of his mom dancing in the seventies, posing with the tourists in their white pants, moustaches, sideburns, etc. What beautiful woman and what a wonderful son she raised, one who completely represents the aloha spirit.

** The rain dance at Pia's, who incidentally has obviously watched a number of Mai Kai shows, cuz that woman can SH-SHAKE it :o.

** Her umbrella dash to protect us as we reluctantly left her home to board the bus is forever etched in my memory. Too kind and too funny.

** The pulled pork ROCKED. As did the cellophane noodles. And the chicken. And the vegetables with the yummy dip.

** Winding our way through Christie's patio to find the always debonair Captain Jab awaiting us, then plopping that sunken pearl into our Sunken Pearl cocktail at The Sunken Pearl home bar. Do I detect a theme?

** I covet most every item in Christie's impeccably furnished home, so I'll just stop here before I turn green. But the Bamboo Ben shelves to display her mugs - WOW! And Tikivixen and I are both trying to figure out how to steal the couch and chair set.

** Chip and Andy's little pleasure-palace hut buy by the pool. OHHHhhhhhh. It was MADE for naps....and other stuff....

** The Esther Williams syncronized dive. I haven't laughed that much in a pool since Oasis II (the airborne pool-toy game after the Dive-In Movie). WHY didn't we FILM the damn thing?! (Probably because it felt a whole lot more graceful than I'm sure we looked!!).

** Maybe best of all, James T calling in a request from the back of the bus to King Kukulele. I can't even remember what the song was, but Casey was laughing so hard next to me - that "I WEPT"! The bus ride was maybe the best part of the the whole thing. The King was SO ON, Charles Phoenix did such a great job of impromptu narrating the strip malls we passed, and Crazy Al's "'Coconut Island' as Done by Charles Phoenix" was dead on.

Thank you Christie and JT (and Chip&Andy and Kern and Pia and Liz and Tikilicious) for all your hard work and organization. With the many many yummy cocktails, comfortable bus ride, gorgeous homes, PERFECT dinner, swimming party, and surprise super-cool souvenir glasses, I certainly got my money's worth. And made some swell new friends to boot.

On 2005-10-11 11:48, Formikahini wrote:
Crazy Al's "'Coconut Island' as Done by Charles Phoenix" was dead on.

I still say it sounded more like Scooby Doo than Mr. Phoenix... unless you want to conjecture the Charles sounds like Scooby Doo to begin with :) !

...and the thing that really surprised me the most about my calling King K from my cell phone to his (while on the same bus) was that he even had his on to begin with.

The song, by the way, was "Istanbul (not Constantinople)".

That the King had his cellphone on, AND that he stuck the mic down his pants to amplify the ringtone!

"The song, by the way, was "Istanbul (not Constantinople)".

By -they might be Giants....I felt like Ken and I were the only ones singing that song!

Ah, MUCH much older than those boys - before they were born, I believe. But they had great taste to cover it!

Edit after a quick google: first done by The Four Lads, 1953. Made it to #10 on the charts.
(No, the Four Lads is not a euphemism for the Four Moptops :wink:)

[ Edited by: Formikahini 2005-10-11 13:43 ]

T

On 2005-10-11 13:31, Formikahini wrote:
Ah, MUCH much older than those boys - before they were born, I believe. But they had great taste to cover it!

Edit after a quick google: first done by The Four Lads, 1953. Made it to #10 on the charts.

Wow, I thought Istanbul was an even older song than that - going back to the 1930s or 1940s. Did The Four Lads definitely write it, or were they just the first to chart with it?

IZ

Jeez, and me and Quince-at-Dannys were that close to putting Istanbul (Not Constantinople) on the compilation we did for Hukilau... I've got a great cover version done by Leo Addeo! I'll remember for next year...

I,Zombie

Yeah, Tikibars, I thought it was way old Tin Pan Alley, but one source I read said it was actually a re-write of a Tin Pan Alley song called Abu Babu something.

I first heard it in 1979 performed by the Virginia Military Institute Glee Club...or maybe The Whiffenpoofs. Fell in love with the song immediately. And I knew They Might Be Giants were cool as soon as I heard their version!

Pages: 1 35 replies