Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki luau night at the Egyptian July 31 2005

Pages: 1 22 replies

Bananabobs; I found this on Lotta-Living and did not see it here, hope it is not a duplicate.

THE AMERICAN CINEMATHEQUE PRESENTS
TIKI LUAU NIGHT

Sponsored in part by Gelson's

Sunday, July 31, 2005

HOLLYWOOD - The American Cinematheque presents Tiki Luau Night on Sunday, July 31st at the Egyptian Theatre, an evening celebrating South Seas Island Exotica. Tikinut King Kukulele hosts the event, which will feature an ultra rare screening of the 1951 film BIRD OF PARADISE; special guests, including author (books on drink-mixing) and filmmaker ("Secret of Easter Island"), BeachBum Berry; 97- year old ukele wizard Bill Tapia (Clark Gable's & Shirley Temple's ukulele teacher); Tiki Diablo and Crazy Al, Disney artist Kevin Kidney, Hula Dancers, Tiki Carvers, Tiki Vendors, and a live sunset concert by your host King Kukulele and the Friki Tikis! A luau dinner will be available for $12 under the stars in the Egyptian Theatre Courtyard. The screenings are at the Lloyd E. Rigler Theatre at the historic 1922 Egyptian (6712 Hollywood Boulevard between Highland and Las Palmas) in Hollywood. All guests subject to availability.

The Sunday, July 31st program begins at 5:00 PM with a "Tiki Cinema" pre-show featuring the short film "Secret of Easter Island" by BeachBum Berry. Following is a screening of a rare 35 mm print of BIRD OF PARADISE (1951, 20th Century Fox/Criterion, 100 min.), directed by Delmer Daves. Starring Deborah Paget (Fritz Lang's THE TIGER OF ESCHNAPUR) in all her luscious beauty as Polynesian princess "Kalua," opposite Louis Jourdan (GIGI) and Jeff Chandler. Director Delmer Daves (3:10 TO YUMA) creates a wildly entertaining piece of 1950's Exotica laden with gorgeous locales (Hawaii doubles for the fictional South Seas island), volcanic danger and charming depictions of daily island life. This film is NOT ON VIDEO!

Join us after the film in the Courtyard for a concert by your host King Kukulele and the Friki Tikis with live hula dancers, a luau dinner and much, much more!! Dinner tickets: $12. Dinner tickets should be ordered in advance as a guarantee must be given to the caterer. A limited number of dinner tickets will be sold onsite at the event. Film Only tickets are $9 general admission.

http://www.americancinematheque.com

On 2005-07-16 08:55, bananabobs wrote:
Bananabobs; I found this on Lotta-Living and did not see it here, hope it is not a duplicate.

Well, I sure didn't see it if it was posted!! Certainly sounds like a "don't miss it" night! Thanks, BB!!

Definitely a don't-miss -- it's always great to see a crowd that's being introduced to King Kukulele for the first time, they have no idea what they're in for.

Bird of Paradise is no cinematic masterpiece, but as a TIKI film, it's pretty top-notch. I've only seen it on video, and I've wished I could see it in more pristine shape -- now's my chance! Art direction is by Lyle Wheeler, who would go on to do art direction for South Pacific, and even more importantly, Aloha Jhoe's in Palm Springs! If you like "The Love Song of Kalua," you'll love this movie, 'cause it's in it a LOT. There is some lovely dancing and tikis in it, the Chief is played by "Prince Lei Lani" (don't know what his story is, he was also in Waikiki Wedding and Hawaiian Nights), but then the Kahuna is played by a guy named "Maurice Schwartz." Welcome to 1951 cinema.

The Secret of Easter Island is a great short, and Jeff actually went to Rapa Nui for two weeks to film it. It's fun to hear some of the stories about how it was made, perhaps he'll share them. I would have thought that getting on the island with all those props would have been tricky, but it turned out the tricky part was getting off the island....

Then add into the mix Tiki Diablo, Kevin Kidney, Crazy Al... the word "extravaganza" comes to mind.

Thank Ku this is an evening event, so I'll have time to recover from Dr. Z's blowout the night before!

Sounds like a Tiki-rrific Event!! Woo Hoo! :)

This is going to be one of the most unique crossover Tiki / Film events of the whole year. (Maybe the only one.) The film "Bird Of Paradise" is super rare and the only way the Egyptian got its hand on a print to screen is through someones private collection! I hope alot of Tiki Central folks will show up and let the general public know we're here! I think there's going to be more than one wide eyed spectator trying to figure us out.

See you there!
King

CA

if i don't burn my hands off this Sat night here in HB... I'll have a lot of fun at this thing!!

I know this is off-topic, but has anyone else heard any rumors that the Egpytian is haunted?

This is a must see rarity.......if you like Tiki..........Surfing.......Tiki.......Tropics.......Tiki........Hula........Tiki.......and ........Tiki! Plus Crazy Al, Tiki Diablo, The King......and more! I wish we could be there, but we will be visiting the Islands. Glad to see they found a 35mm print......Don't want to give everything away, but here is a little sneak peak .....Have Fun!

???? Does anyone know if you can buy tickets Pre-Sale or do you just pay when you get there???

Hey Everybody,
First of all the Egyptian is indeed haunted...by a friend of mine who used to be King like me...his name on tiki central was King Tut (he happened to be Egyptian too.) As far as the tickets go, you can buy them in advance up to 30 days at the Egyptian box office. You can get more info at http://www.americancinematheque.com and if you'ld like you can email King Kukulele at [email protected] and I'll mail you the complete calander from the American Cinematheque for July and August which includes directions and ticket info.

Crazy Al please don't burn your hands.

On 2005-07-22 09:46, WooHooWahine wrote:
???? Does anyone know if you can buy tickets Pre-Sale or do you just pay when you get there???

This is a buy when you get there thing, and DON'T MISS IT! Sincerely, I cannot say enough how much I'm looking forward to seeing this movie in a theater, and getting to see it in the middle of a great tiki party with a bunch of dear friends in the middle of Hollywood -- that'll just put me over the moon.

T

On 2005-07-27 11:13, Humuhumu wrote:

On 2005-07-22 09:46, WooHooWahine wrote:

This is a buy when you get there thing, and DON'T MISS IT!

I recommend buying advance tickets especially if you plan on attending the Luau.

I looked on the web site and you can buy advance tickets through Friday at 5:00. Members can phone in for tickets, while non members must fax or visit the box office. To fax an order just click on Tickets (under General Information), print out the fax form, fill it in, and fax it to them. There is a $1 fee for non members, and it costs $12 extra for the Luau.

The web site also states

Dinner tickets should be ordered in advance (by Friday, July 29 at noon) as a guarantee must be given to the caterer. A limited number of dinner tickets will be sold onsite at the event.

I'm excited about this one too Humuhumu! I think it's going to be a great weekend. I'm flying down Saturday for Dr. Z's party, then attending the movie and luau on Sunday, and afterwards plan on heading up to the Lucky Tiki to say hi to Suzy and Lee.

Thanks for the heads-up, jab, after talking to Denny about it I'd gotten the impression that tickets weren't needed. I imagine it'll be fine if anyone decides to come at the last minute (it is a Sunday, after all), but I'll get tickets to be safe. Good call on the Lucky Tiki nightcap, too!

Since the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee is also helping out with this event, I will be a volunteer on Sunday - so see you there!

T

Can't wait!!! I'll be there along with the adrift bamboo hut vending for the evening. I'll have these new paintings and 2 Tangaroa Hangy Babies with me. Hope to see ya there.. Oh, and Birds of Paradise has the best intro ever, I've got a copy on DVD thanks to Bongofury.

CA

great time last night... hope to see more of u'z tonight!!

FREE SHAG '05 calender with $10 purchase!!!!! or $5 each!!!!!

Holy Tiki Weird!!!!!!!!

K
Kaimi posted on Fri, Aug 5, 2005 12:58 AM

What a fun night! Thanks to all of you who stopped by and enjoyed our booth. Our childrens' clothes bring joy to us, and we are always happy to see your faces when you see them as well. We will be at the "65th Nisei Week Japanese Festival" on August 20th and 21st. San Pedro St, Little Tokyo. Hope to see some familiar faces there! We are also going to be at the Malibu Festival in September. You can check out our website at http://www.KokonutKids.com
Mahalo

Boo Hooo! The ending of the movie was so sad. But WooHoo, we had a Great Time!!!!

Do I understand this event is to be repeated on Sunday, July 23rd?

On 2006-07-17 18:27, christiki295 wrote:
Do I understand this event is to be repeated on Sunday, July 23rd?

Enchanted Tiki Luau Night & Elvis: Sunday, July 23rd

Yes, there will a Luau & entertainment from King Kukelele and The Friki Tiki's between a Double Tiki Feature. Tiki Vendors in the courtyard from 1:00pm on.

4:00pm Movie: Enchanted Island starring Dana Andrews & Jane Powell, with preshow selection of shorts by Kevin Kidney

7:00pm Movie: Blue Hawaii starring Elvis

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-07-17 22:42 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jul 17, 2006 11:08 PM

How come this is the first we've heard of this?
Shouldn't there have been something posted at least a
couple of weeks ago? GROG really enjoyed this event
last year, and look forward to going again.

TS

Ummm...maybe this is a dumb question at this point, but wasnt this post from 2005??? At least it says so in the first post...Please refer to updated King Kukulele Sunday July 23rd 2006 topic and let this topic close to avoid confusion.

I asked before (Big New Daddy) King posted.

Here is this year's link:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20319&forum=17&5

Pages: 1 22 replies