Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The Waikiki Boys previous name

Pages: 1 3 replies

I bought a record yesterday called Hawaiian favorites by Harry Richards and his Islanders on the Golden Tone Hi-Fidelity label. It seems to be a bit older than Hawaiian Holiday by the Waikiki Boys (Tops) and, as it turns out, it is basicly the same record (plus or minus a few cuts.) I had not heard of Harry Richards or seen his name posted here so I thought I'd throw this out there.

K

I have both these LPs also, and they are actually GREAT LPs of "The Golden Era of Hawaiian Music." My Tops LP, on the actual LP, lists the individual arts beneath each song title. These are well known artists in Hawaii at the time in their own rights and they often performed together in various combinations under various names on record and in hotels, etc. The only artist who stumps me here is "George Delanux" who sounds an awful lot like Alfred Apaka. Perhaps he wasn't able to use his "Apaka" name with that label....? Or it's someone doing a great imitation of him.

I think the "Harry Richards" person probably never even existed. It's probably just a name, like all those "Luke Leilani & His Royal Everwhos" LPs. I'm not sure exactly how that worked..I guess these budget labels got these recordings for cheap, the artists signed away rights, and the labels slapped a fake artist name on them and released them 20 different times. That's certainly the case with the "Luke Leilani" and "Luau Lei" type recordings. Although the 2 LPs you have are the only copies of this material I've ever seen.

Kaiwaza,
Great reply. Thanks for the information and the insights.

The "Hawaiian Holiday" album is one of my favorites...
I just came across a few tracks by Alvin Kaleolani Isaacs & His Waikiki Boys in the Apple/iTunes music store of all places. A very pleasant suprise!
Aloha,
:tiki:

Pages: 1 3 replies