Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Palama Tiki's First Attempt at AAC/Moai: Finished! Pg. 2..

Pages: 1 35 replies

Decisions, decisions... should i start a sable palm Ku or go with the AAC Moai?

since i didn't feel like debarking that palm, i decided on the AAC moai.

here's some progression shots (another first for me): i used a small hand saw, a rasp/plane, old kitchen knife, and a chisel.

this guy is in a very roughed out state, and the nose is coming out all wrong.

I'm thinking that i need to lower the forehead and the cheekbone area to give more relief to the nose, then plane down the hook in the nose till it's straight, as well as narrow the width.

I'm also unsure about carving the mouth; it looks simple but there's alot of subtlety in the Moai design that's not apparent till you start carving one.

Any suggestions A-A, or anyone else who's done Moai/AAC?

i'll be working on him more tonight.
thanks for looking.

[ Edited by: Palama Tiki 2005-07-19 05:30 ]

[ Edited by: Palama Tiki 2005-07-20 05:21 ]

[ Edited by: Palama Tiki 2005-07-20 05:22 ]

[ Edited by: Palama Tiki 2005-07-20 17:58 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 18, 2005 6:15 AM

The forehead sticks out too much, and the nose is flat? I found with carving AAC is that the square block shape has an influence on the shape of the tiki. Most carvings are round logs, so I found a square block just looked wierd when i tried to carve it. I think there is a need to hack away a lot of material to get one to work. But I've only done one, so I'm no expert.

Having said this, Gavtikis tikis were very square and seemed to work, so what would i know?

My current AAC tiki is being a little brat too.

Nice Job!
Where do you find the ACC?

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 18, 2005 6:28 AM

I get the AAC from the local hardware store. However, it seems to be harder to come across in the states.

surfinstro: Thanks... i got a free AAC block from a local manufacturer. they usually sell it by the palletload, but i just wanted to try it out. it's a very interesting medium to work in.

well, the more i look at Rapanui Moai photos, the more i realize that it's gonna be difficult to salvage Franken-Moai, but i'll give it a try.

suggestions please (other than using him for a boat anchor).

I'd narrow the nose down a bit, it looks a little wide. And maybe trim the forehead back a bit. After you finish the rough, some 60 grit sandpaper will do wonders to smooth all the edges and make it all flow together. There's lots of different Moai styles - it will look fine. And remember, you're only half done.

Aaron

Thanks A-A, i appreciate the help. i'll be working on it tonight if the weather holds.

B

Aaron speaks the truth.shave some off the head and forehead. A gentle slope from the head to the jaw line will even it out. just keep shaving a bit off at a time until it looks right. You are on the right track and just half way done.
Lookin good

Does anyone know where I can get it in PA?
Thanks

Surfinstro: i would do an internet search for AAC manufacturers, or better yet, PM Aaron's Akua for info; he's the resident expert on AAC.

Thanks Benz and A-A for the advice. i managed to salvage the carving this evening.... all hail the angle grinder! a 50 grit sanding disc did the trick in re-shaping the forehead and nose more to my liking. (i tried posting the photos, but having problems uploading the pics, so i'll post them tomorrow).

I'll work on the mouth and chin tomorrow evening.

Here's some AAC dealers on the US.
http://www.safecrete.com/contactus.cfm

Looks really good to me. I want to try some of that stuff too.

Thanks Rodeotiki... it's looking alittle better as of last night. here's the results of the re-shaping with the angle grinder:

i narrowed the nose and tried to get the peak like the originals, but it came out this way, and i'm thinking i'll stay with that, with some minor refinements. the forehead/brow area needs straightening.

tonight i'll work on the mouth/chin area.

thanks for looking and for the helpful suggestions.

B

Looking better Palama Tiki.
I drew a few lines for you to ponder. See if it makes sense/

Remember also what Aaron said," There are many styles of Moai carvings". For every carver who carves a Moai, there are that many different versions. They All look different but thay All look like a Moai. So do what you think it should look like.
You are doing great!

Benz: "do they make sense?".... HECK YEAH they make sense...!!!! Thanks, i appreciate the artwork (can you sketch out all my carvings for me please?) :)

I'll print them out and give it a go tonight!

Thanks again!

[ Edited by: Palama Tiki 2005-07-19 09:45 ]

B

Sure Palama, bring it on.
The only thing I forgot was the chin/jaw line. Hold a mirror under your chin and look at in a wall mirror. Bring his chin to a gentle rounded point like that and you have it..
Thanks.

PS, I love this spell check

H

Those revisions look a lot better Palama. Very cool. One day i will have a go at a Moai.

Thanks Hewey and thanks Benz... i saw the 'mirror under the chin' post after i finished carving for the evening last night.

Here's what i've got so far: i had to dim the lighting to bring out the features since the flash was washing everything out.

i know that i need to work on the following:

more rounding and straightening of the head and brow line,
evening out around the upper lip and other areas, even out the ears and detail them, and smooth out all the edge lines, etc.

Benz, (or any other Moai artists) any more suggestions on the design? opinions on the mouth and chin area. i like the sweep of the jaw line, even though it's not 'purist', but should i do more tapering?

i'm not thrilled with the nose either, but....

any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks again all!

T

if the AAC block isn't a lot of money, try doing another Moai and this time you will know more the likes and dislikes of the first one. There are different looks of Moai and if you did another you would learn the ways of Moai Master.

But I do like what you have done to the chin. It looks like it does good to ground him to the table.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 20, 2005 7:27 AM

Palama. I love it how it is. Awesome work on that one. It works for me, especially the scallop around the chin/mouth are at the side.

I would only suggest giving the area under the mouth a bullnose edge to it. By this I mean just smooth the sharp front of the bottom edge off by rounding it off more. I hope this makes sense.

Teakey: thanks. the AAC block was free; if i want more, i'd have to buy a palletload. i may just cast a block of hypertufa and carve that up.
not sure what you mean about grounding it to the table.

Hewey: thanks as well. not quite sure i know what you mean by a bullnose edge.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 20, 2005 9:43 AM

I think teakey meant the base visually ties in with the table, instead of the moai appearing to 'float'. It looks like it was carved 'on the spot', as the pointy front end almost seems to join the table in a continous line. My idea was to round this off, to make it smoother. But I think I agree with Teakey, now that i look at it again.

I hope this clarifies. Or just confuse you further... :)

OK, i think i know what your talking about now. i haven't even touched the base of the carving yet. that will all get smoothed out eventually.

B

It looks better already, just keep taking off what does not fit right. I know that's easier said than done. Here are a couple more redrawings

This should help a little. You can always look at your own face for the basic structure of how different parts fit together. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks Benz: i was just sitting here sketching out changes. i'll apply your suggestions tonight.

Well, for better or worse, Caveman Moai is finished. Thank you, Benzart, for your willingness to offer your talent and advice. I greatly appreciate it! May the tiki gods smile upon you.

Thanks all, for your comments and suggestions!

Bravo!! Well Done!!

Thanks Fink! I appreciate it!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 20, 2005 7:53 PM

Mate that thing came together really sweetly! I love the lines of it. The AAC really suits a Moai doesn't it? Well done

Awesome, Palama! You & hewey are getting me fired up to do some more AAC carving.

Yes, well done PT! And I'll bet the tikis have been smiling on Ben for quite some time!!! :)

Mahalo Hewey, A-A and Sam... I definitely appreciate your support.
yes, Hewey, the AAC really lends itself to subtle shaping.

A-A, i can't wait to see more of your AAC work!

Sam, i have to agree with you!

B

Very well done Palama. Of course you realize that now you have screwed up royally. Now you have to produce more of the same caliber tiki and do it soon. We are All expecting great things from you. You are Stuck Ha Ha Ha ppy ppy ppy
Seriously you have created an Excellent Moai even if he IS an Airhead!

Benzart: thanks so much for the props.. i couldn't have done it without your art direction. Thanks again for all the help and inspiration!

Pages: 1 35 replies