Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki redo on HGTV July 20th 930pm

Pages: 1 8 replies

Thought I would mention it! I saw this ad on the HGTV site, I will definately Tivo it!!

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_design_other/article/

Aloha

P.S. CLick on 1950's tropical retreat

[ Edited by: ka maka koa tiki 2005-07-18 16:46 ]

Mahalo for the advance notice. I'll definitely be watching!

Well, if this house can can get on HGTV, than OnaTiki's CERTAINLY could have!

I mean, it's nice, but it doesn't even come close to comparing.

Chris

J

Thanks ka maka koa tiki! I just added this to my tivo listing as well:)

TT

Not too shabby overall. I loved how much time was devoted to Oceanic Arts. Thanks for the heads up.

J

I watched the 50's tropical retreat show last night and thought the couple chose wisely regarding their designer selection. What a cool make over for their house! Anyone think the fire pit was a little scary seeing they have a kid on the way? Looks like that will be turned off most of the time:)

The trip to Oceanic Arts was awesome. I wish I could shop there (live too far away) than again I think I'd end up bankrupt and living in a tiki hut if I could...

[ Edited by: johnman 2005-07-24 07:23 ]

The waterfall feature was nicely done. I also loved the thatch top of the patio and, in very classic tiki move, to the dog house as well.

The gas tiki torches (guaranteed not to blow out) was a good, although probably not cost effective move.

The palm selection was good, but not spectacular.

After the into making such a big deal about the magnolia tree, the "after" description did not mention it.

Glaring omissions:

1. Nothing was done to the entrance way off the driveway. There should have been two giant tikis right there, with a $25,000 budget, $ was not a problem.

2. The most tropical feature of all - the giant plumeria - was not incorporated into the overall design scheme.

3. The patio furniture needed repainting (actually it needed replacing, but the owners liked it).

4. The area off the laundry room needed something - anything - it looked like the chairs were just stuck there as an afterthought.

5. The overall landscaping was only 70%, particularly around the waterfall. It could have been much, much more full and more colorful.

6. Loose the parrot.

I think I may have to start my own LA tiki gardening consulting biz.

I'll be your first customer if you want!!! I need a tiki design tropical yard...currently in the works!!

Ka MAka Koa

Evey person's home should be their tiki hut and their backyard should be their own tiki tropical oasis.

Pages: 1 8 replies